Red State

I am completely fine with that. I tend to lean toward darker movies, but I wonder how this movie would have been received had the religious group been Muslim or if it had been a black church. Would people see it the same way they are seeing it now? Maybe I am wrong, but I don't think so. I think if it was any other type of group, people would be up in arms and claiming racism or some other form of prejudice.
Now this is an interesting point. Well stated.

Thanks to whomever put the spoiler in for me. I wrote that this morning before going to work and have no idea how to fix it on my smart phone.

As for Smith, I am a fan of him but I get very tired of the constant oral sex coments. He does have an odd penis fixation. I have enjoyed all his films, with red state being my least favorite. I don't think any of them are bad, some are better than others.

I thought it was great, if deeply flawed. Right off the bat I have to give Kevin Smith respect for taking the risks he did and making a film that is totally outside his comfort zone. I was getting kind of tired of his gonzo stoner comedies. It's nice to see he is capable of more.

Michael Park's performance was great, but I've yet to see him in anything bad so it didn't really surprise me. John Goodman was fantastic. It's great to see an actor primarily known for comedy roles doing something different and doing it well (Jamie Foxx is another great example).

I thought the end was pretty strong. Yeah, the two agents reviewing Goodman's character were definitely spouting your standard Kevin Smith dialog but I thought Goodman's reaction at their inhumanity and callousness made it work.

The trumpets were an awesome WTF moment.

I don't have a problem with downer endings when I'm in the right mood, but I can see where you all are coming from. If I'm not in the right mood that sort of thing pisses me off.

I thought it was great, if deeply flawed. Right off the bat I have to give Kevin Smith respect for taking the risks he did and making a film that is totally outside his comfort zone. I was getting kind of tired of his gonzo stoner comedies. It's nice to see he is capable of more.
I couldn't agree more. I'm a longtime fan of Smith's work, and it really was nice to see him branch out.

Watched it this morning and really enjoyed the film. Quite different for Kevin Smith. John Goodman was his usual good self, but Michael Parks stole the film. Killer performance!

you can go back and edit that post and use the spoiler tag.
I liked the film but it felt disjointed
part 1- teenage sex comedy
part 2- horror movie
part 3- action movie with stand off
part 4- political statement

I think if I watch it again I may get it more.

Thats a really good way of classifying it.

I really liked the movie but I felt it was a bit too short. It moved really quickly (a bit too quickly for my liking).
Still thought it was great though and there was some great acting.

Thats a really good way of classifying it.

I really liked the movie but I felt it was a bit too short. It moved really quickly (a bit too quickly for my liking).
Still thought it was great though and there was some great acting.
That's the thing with the last few Smith films - he edits them to death, trimming and trimming and trimming... it's almost disheartening listening to talk on a podcast or post a tweet about all the cuts he makes.

I liked the movie a lot, and the sad thing is, I'm 100% sure there's small groups like that out there that really exist, and do what they did, and it's a scary thought.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back