Red Dwarf Papercraft (Pep) props

@paperjon:
1. Well know squat about the pepakura process, but I guess mentioning that Kryten's head and all the suit parts are scaled correct to each other might be helpful?

2. I don't think the size will be that important, I'd think people would have to scale parts differently depending on height/weight/build etc. Something close-ish should be fine I'd think. I estimate the chest piece height to be (very) roughly 40 cm / 16 inches.

3. Never really bothered to think about it, but something like Jixton's plan sounds fine.

@Jixton:Thanks :) Hopefully they'll fit properly.

@unheard: As in his collar bit? I was really only going to do the 'hard' parts of his suit.

I didn't think that a pepakura collar would be that suitable for a costume. As it is quite form fitting, I figured it would be best made to fit from a suitably soft/flexible material, same for the forearm and shin coverings.

To be honest....It's gonna be hard to get a close match, So I'm going to go with something that is similar...

In DIY stores you can buy, fairly cheaply.. these white boilersuit type protective clothing for when you're doing decorating..

My thoughts where to Fabric dye this suit to match the colour.
But then I noticed that the undersuit is quiet shiny, plastic looking, so know I need a re-think.

best photo of the suit i have found

mainImage.jpg

carbug-goes-up-for-auction-3.jpg

@ JIXTON I'm going down the route of foam mat body to, it seems the perfect material to use as the suit needs to be flexible .As for the clothing underneath I'm thinking of using a unitard as you can get them in metallic finish .Krytens costume changed both in style and colour over the different series so as long as its close nobody will really notice .

Unitard???? I've not heard of this??
I'll have to research that.

@unheard... Thats the suit from series 8 and the "back to earth" episodes.... I believe it had been decided that it would be easier to model from the series 4-5 suit that he wore, as it was easier to model ( at least, that's what I assumed )

@everyone Just want you all to know im still working on this sorry for lack of posts here but would like to thank all of you for feedback it helps but im still having trouble with scale i have a few ideas i just want to keep this high quality for you guys
edit: note this is not detachabletoe`s fault its the way pepakura works

Any tips on building the Kryten head? Im really starting to struggle as i get to the complicated areas like the eyes. Also, in what order to i put the pieces together - do i go in page number or column order as it is displayed on the screen.

Any advice for this novice papercrafter much appreciated.

@ paperjon, I am using the pdo you kindly uploaded with pepakura viewer. It is a great program but this is my first time using it.

The pages are presented in 4 x 2 (columns x rows) , do i work in page order ie, all of the first row and then onto the second, or do i go from top to bottom?

Basically, im just trying to work out in which order to i stick all the pieces together?

cheers guys

Its more or less in order best thing to do is select a part on pepakura then parts near it to see where it goes when me and my fiancée get more time we will write some clearer instructions but that may take a while as we have a lot of work to do for our papercraft team and red dwarf wise we are building the lightbee`s when we have time to do it

As for pepakura heres a quick bit of help
1. left click to select a piece to see where it goes on the 3d representation
2. select multiple parts by holding shift and left clicking
3. left click and right click at the same time to pan the pages or the 3d model
4. hold right click to rotate the 3d model
5. mouse wheel or shift+right click to zoom in and out

hope that helps wish i had time to write you some instructions if you still get stuck let us know with those hints above im sure your be ok :D

Hoping to bring this thread back to life if anyones still interested. I still want to do kryten suit but need help on that as i have never done anything like that before. I have a talkie toaster pretty much done the second version(red one). Also began work on a scutter but this is in very early stages, i have uploaded a rimmer H to another thread just a simple one for a laugh. Well up for doing much more red dwarf stuff. Was thinking of doing one of the triangle shaped tapes if i can find some references nice simple prop that. Any other ideas would be great, eventually i hope to do the ships but im working up to that lol.

Again would like to thank everyone on this thread.

Please someone find a solution for scaling kryten suit parts in pep and then i will get right on it.

Hi,

I was really happy to find this as I've decided to make a Kryten costume this year as a little project.... I'm new to the program & I've got it so I can view the unfolded masks/chest etc but it's all over the place, not in pages like the first post. Can anyone help?

Thanks you !

I plan on making a Kryten costume for the next comic expo where I live (Manchester).
I am unsure as to what material to use though, I have seen an iron man costume made from foam sheets, so, was wondering about going down that road, but, I have also seen a way to make it from card and then using fiberglass resin to harden it before priming and painting.
What do you all think, should I go down the foam road or the card road ?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back