"Red" Dr. Horrible Costume - June, 2013: MUST READ Goggle Info! (Page 5)

Alright, so last weekend I began working on my sloper for the lab coat.

I only have a limited amount of the "proper fabric" so I'm trying to make all my mistakes on whatever fabric I have around, which this time around just happened to be a nice red twill.

Here's the basic "first draft" of the lab coat: (Sorry, I don't have any pictures from after I attached the collar, just imagine it for now)

988631_652929083245_1638301315_n.jpg

The duct tape is there to stand in for the buttons.

So far the list of adjustments I'll have to make on my second draft of the pattern includes:

-Narrowing the sleeves
-Widening the neck
-Redrafting the collar completely
-Bringing the shoulders in a little more
-Redrafting the "open side" of the front panel. (It won't hang right unless it is drafted asymmetrically)

So, I'm going to grab some muslin or duck cloth soon and start working on a revised version of the coat, since most of the fixes are impossible to tailor into this one.

I've also discovered a few little things about the pattern as well, including one mystery that has stumped me for years; what is THIS row of stitching on the shoulder for:

Screen shot 2013-06-13 at 11.55.12 AM.png

Turns out the inner flap is folded over itself, but stops short of being as wide as the panel itself, which makes that stitching necessary to close off the seams. When I make my final pattern, I'll be able to show this in more detail.

Also, if anyone is making the black gloves, I highly recommend using Shoe Goo. I got the Black Shoe Goo (Figuring if any drips were seen it would blend better) and the gloves and gauntlets might as well be welded together. This stuff HOLDS!

I may only be talking to myself now, but more updates soon. :lol

-Nick

PS: The guy selling the static goggles on eBay just relisted them. They're still $15 and he still has 54 sets remaining.

Last edited:
Cool! Thanks for the updates. When do you hope to debut the finished "red" costume?

I'm hoping to debut one of the costumes, Red or Ivory, by New York Comic Con in October.

They should hopefully be done around the same time, but getting the correct balance in the red dye bath might take a little extra experimenting to get right.

...and I still probably have another 2-4 complete lab coats to make before I'm confident enough in the pattern to commit to cutting up my good fabric. Once I run out of that stuff, it's GONE! As of last year, the place I got it from had sold the last of their bolt, so I've got to make sure I get this thing 100% right. Which means, more experimentation! But hopefully it will all be worth it.

-Nick

Wow, thanks for all the hard work, Nick, and the info on the ebay auctions. I got a set of the static goggles myself. Now all I need to do is find an actual pair of the correct VG800s, not that I don't love your replica. :)

Wow, thanks for all the hard work, Nick, and the info on the ebay auctions. I got a set of the static goggles myself. Now all I need to do is find an actual pair of the correct VG800s, not that I don't love your replica. :)

Great to hear. I honestly hope that guy's entire stock ends up going to us nerds.

Well, you could always use the faceplate from my replicas, and put them on the body of the static goggles. All it will take is a small notch with an exacto knife to accommodate the T-Hinge on the front. Then you can always upgrade the eyecups and you will have something that is 100% accurate, since the goggles I sold were made from the same molds...just a few generations down the line.

I'm actually thinking of doing this myself with my real deal goggles just to have a backup body or two so I can enjoy them forever and never have to worry about damage.

-Nick

TheNickFox, you are a gentleman and a scholar, and you have SAVED THE DAY!
I've been looking for these goggles on ebay for three solid years! GREAT find! Have an internet high-five, good sir!

Digging up an old thread since I have everything except the correct lab coat( well, no flip up goggles, yet) but I'm going to make the red version as well. Great stuff! Thanks for your research and hard work.

Awesome! I had searched for the exact goggles long ago with never finding them. I ended up buying a close pair with 6 vents but the wrong caps and two pairs of others with the right caps/vent pieces but the "eye caps" always bothered me...looks like these will fit into mine! I hope :). Started the costume but never finished it...even managed to track down a bag of the correct buttons so with this I guess I just need a jacket.

DrHorrible_zps18f84154.jpg

I'm looking into fabric again for the coat and wondering about this, it's a herringbone stripe fabric which looks roughly (without exact stripe measurement) right. I was trying to kind of figure from the comparison with the dime previously in the thread. Opinions? Also on any good sources to possibly commission one? I have the buttons and if I find the right fabric I'm hoping to get one made in the not too distant future. :)

DHFabric.jpg

Sorry for the double post but I was looking thru the reference images and different pattern images I had collected and was curious if the finalized pattern was still available anywhere? Did it turn out that the lower protion does flare out a bit vs straight? After wanting to do this one for so long and have the other correct pieces I really want to get this one done right. :) Would appreciate any help/info!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back