"Red" Dr. Horrible Costume - June, 2013: MUST READ Goggle Info! (Page 5)

TheNickFox

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Okay, so anyone who has spent more than 3/4 of a second looking at my avatar knows that I bear more than a passing resemblance to Neil Patrick Harris. As such, I've wanted to conquer a Dr. Horrible costume for a long time...and with Halloween just around the corner (for über-nerds like us anyway) I figured now would be the perfect time to tackle this project.

However I don't want to make a white-lab-coated Doc like the few I've seen, I want to sport the red lab coat that Dr. Horrible dons at the end of the series. This just looks so much more evil to me:

Picture29.png

If anyone has any info on the EXACT model of welding goggles and black gloves that were used, I'd really appreciate it. I want to use as many of the original found parts as possible. Also, does anyone know if the type of lab coat he wears (one that wraps completely over the front of him with some sort of bib) has a specific name. It feels like a found item to me, but I'm not sure.

Picture of the glove for reference:

Picture28.png

Unfortunately, since the pants and boots are never seen for this incarnation of his outfit, I'll have to get creative. (I was thinking black for both, maybe with some red accents)

Anyway, if anyone can help me out, or point me in the direction of any good resources or pictures (I already have all of the screenshots I can handle from the DVD) I'd be greatly appreciate it.

And now I'm off to go earn a Ph.D in Horribleness.

-Nick

Last edited:
Re: "Red" Dr. Horrible Costume

If I remember correctly, the lab coat he wore was also used in a couple episodes of Firefly, or maybe in Serenity, I'm not sure. The red one was supposedly dyed over, leaving the stitching white.

The lab coat was Simon Tam's from the episode Ariel of Firefly. Once they'd shot the scenes of Neil in the white coat, they dyed it. There are no others as far as I'm aware, so unless you found an extremely close match you'd have to make it.

As I recall the original goggles are still made but in green and not silver. The original company that made them wrote a pissy post on their website telling people to STFU about the color because they are a welding supply company and not a costume site and they don't care what color it is!

People are buying them green and painting them silver.
WeldingDepot -- Goggle 50MM Flip Front R850

The gloves are chemical resistant gloves. I don't know the exact specs. I think some googling will turn up Dr Horrible forums where people have done the research.

Thanks, awesome info so far.

Now, I know most of us strive for screen accuracy, but what would you guys think of this costume being idealized a bit? Since I'm going to have to make the coat (I'm not paying $150-200 for a replica) I was thinking I could modify it a bit, making it look like how it may look when the movie finally materializes. Obviously, being a smaller guy I was thinking of making sure it was a little better tailored than NPH's coat which looks too loose at times. Additionally I was knocking around the idea of making the coat with a black lining and making the vents pleated (Think Jack Sparrow level pleating).

Sure it's not accurate to the Alien/Firefly coat, nor practical for an actual medical doctor, but it would look so supervillainy!

Thoughts?

I have some really good shots of one of the white (actually off-white) unused lab coats, so making a pattern shouldn't be too difficult. I just have to decide whether to buy my fabric red or dye it red. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks again for your help.

-Nick

I think you look more like Sam Rockwell, but I'm new around here, so maybe you already addressed that in costume form. :)

As far as screen accuracy, I'm more about "screen possible." Just because we didn't see someone wearing jacket X with pants Y in the movie doesn't mean he couldn't have at some point. And who's to say Dr. H doesn't get a nicer coat? So I say go for it.

Here's some of the research I did for a nephew's costume in 2008.
I did not create the pattern and don't remember where I found it.

Oh wow, awesome stuff, guys! This is why I love this place. And just to help anyone else who is working on this, here is the stuff I'm looking at, at the moment:

These gloves (With my own gauntlets sewn on):

678410.jpg

Showa-Best 6784-10 | Gloves - Neoprene

These goggles (Though there are some very similar surplus goggles I'm considering because of the minimum order demanded by the site):

r850.jpg

WeldingDepot -- Goggle 50MM Flip Front R850

Boots:

Black OnGuard PVC boots (Since OnGuards were used for the white boots I figured why not)

Pants (I may add a red stripe to the side):

41RwrXKpq4L._AA300_.jpg

Amazon.com: Dickies Men's Flat Front Multi Use Pocket Work Pant: Clothing

Coat:

I've found a very nice red cotton twill that I think I'll be using for the coat.

Anything I'm missing?

-Nick

I picked up a 2-pack of similar goggles from Harbor Freight for around $3.
I cut holes for the extra vents (total of 6) and used 2 of the plugs from the second pair. Then dremelled the lift tabs a little and painted.

I had no luck with the correct pattern elastic strap.

Here's a clear shot of the right goggles.

Yeah, the best I've been able to find for the strap are shoe laces, which leave a lot to be desired since they aren't elastic.

Here's the best match I've been able to find so far: Ian's Shoelace Site - Where to Buy Shoelaces

If anyone has a connection for an zig-zag or argyle-printed elastic band, I'm sure all of us nerds would greatly appreciate it.

-Nick

Sorry for the double post, but I haven't had any luck tracking down buttons I would consider close enough for the coat.

They appear to be flat mother of pearl buttons around 5/8" (Any better guesses are welcome) and seem to have some sort of metal piece on top, and perhaps running through it, forming a metal shank/post.

I've attached pictures so you guys could get a better look and tell me if you know of anything similar...or even if you see the buttons differently than I do.

I've also attached a close up of the emblem on one of the coats not used for Dr. Horrible. The real one apparently had its red section colored in with a simple red marker.

So...how 'bout those buttons?

EDIT: Well, after posting this I managed to get in touch with someone who had victorian era (100+ years old) buttons that seem to be EXACTLY what Dr. Horrible wears. So, I've purchased a lot of 30 of them (6-7 are too small) so I may end up making a few different versions of the coat. (Pictures of the buttons I bought are attached)

This project has officially begun!

-Nick

Last edited:

If anyone wants the PROPER elastic strap for the goggles, it would seem that the company still uses it on at least one of their other products (I'd call any place that stocks these though just to make sure these goggles haven't changed since their picture).

http://www.lonestarsafety.com/GroupInfo/GroupID/9069

Sure you have to cannibalize an entire pair of welding goggles in order to get the strap, but I figure if you just switch the straps, putting the boring black strap on these goggles, you can always just toss them on eBay to recoup some of the cost.

The other good thing about buying those other goggles to cannibalize is that you'll have access to (what appears to be) 6 of the proper vents to put onto any other goggles to make them appear to be more SA.

I'll keep digging and let you know if I turn up anything else interesting.

-Nick

Last edited:
Re: "Red" Dr. Horrible Costume - UPDATE: SA Goggle Headstrap found!

I've been looking for those! They're exactly what I need to make a pair of Escape from New York "night vision" goggles. Thanks!

Good find. Hope it arrives as pictured. That looks like the same manufacturer that made the originals. You could used the extra vents caps too, if the goggles you end up with only have 4 holes.

The problem we ran into a couple years ago was that the manufacturer changed the style and look of the goggles without changing the picture they used for online ordering. They were kind of snippy when asked about it too.

The problem we ran into a couple years ago was that the manufacturer changed the style and look of the goggles without changing the picture they used for online ordering. They were kind of snippy when asked about it too.

Yeah, I've been reading up on that whole drama, hence why I said you might want to call the company selling those to check on the style before you order.

I'm actually talking to a supplier who may have a few of the old-style goggles in a box in his back room. He's going to confirm sometime this coming week (When he goes back into work). I'll let you know what I turn up. If not, I'll just franken-goggle my way to a close enough set.

-Nick

Yeah, I've been reading up on that whole drama, hence why I said you might want to call the company selling those to check on the style before you order.

I'm actually talking to a supplier who may have a few of the old-style goggles in a box in his back room. He's going to confirm sometime this coming week (When he goes back into work). I'll let you know what I turn up. If not, I'll just franken-goggle my way to a close enough set.

-Nick

Of course this is a big if, but IF they are the right kind and IF he has more than one, I'd be MORE than happy to buy a pair. After you and Uncle get yours of course. ;)

Ryu

Of course this is a big if, but IF they are the right kind and IF he has more than one, I'd be MORE than happy to buy a pair. After you and Uncle get yours of course. ;)

Ryu

IF he has THE goggles, I will happily buy as many as humanly possible, and sell them to you guys for exactly what I pay for them.

...I'm trying not to let the guy know how much most people would pay for these. I don't want him driving up the price on me if he happens to have an old box of the right goggles. :lol

I'll let you know either way. I'm also trying to talk to a couple other people who might have a pair or two. Basically I'm finding the smallest suppliers possible and hoping they haven't had much opportunity to sell welding goggles in the past 2.5 years.

Also, In my research I found a larger promo image of the goggles, so I'll attach that here. This should help anyone looking to make themselves some frankengoggles for themselves.

-Nick

Count me in as well if you find a box.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back