RED ALERT Lost 3 ft TOS Enterprise found????

The very first physical model of the Enterprise in its final form, after the concept sketches and crude models had been refined. The approval prototype used to give the greenlight on constructing the 11-foot model. The first model of the ship ever filmed. The first to ever appear onscreen (as least in early studio screenings of the pilot, as opposed to the first airing of “The Man Trap”). Used for numerous iconic publicity photos, and on the cover of the first printing of THE MAKING OF STAR TREK. Used in the main title sequence of every single TOS episode. Used as an on-set prop, in “Requiem For Methuselah”. And, finally, loaned out as reference for PHASE II/TMP, then seemingly lost or destroyed.

A priceless artifact.

Sad to see her in such a sorry state, but it’s absolutely stunning that she’s turned up at all.

Maybe we’ll see some kind of restoration, a la the 11-footer? Assuming that the model is seen again after this and/or there are no ongoing legal issues?
Just don't let TOMY get ahold of it!

They need to take this opportunity to modernize that poor broken down thing.

IMG_1775.jpeg

Put some chrome on that hull—the rear bumper of the hanger deck would be a good place to start.

Install some multi-colored blinking lights along every surface.

While we’re at it, that gray / green color is so drab. A bright blue or sunshine yellow hull color would be welcome.

Finally, put a lift kit on those nacelles and put a custom speaker box in the secondary hull to thump some bass.

View attachment 1757774

Put some chrome on that hull—the rear bumper of the hanger deck would be a good place to start.

While we’re at it, that gray / green color is so drab. A bright blue or sunshine yellow hull color would be welcome.

Finally, put a lift kit on those nacelles and put a custom speaker box in the secondary hull to thump some bass.
and if a way could be found to create multiple lens flares that one sees with the naked eye from any angle...

I grabbed my copy of this book last night to re-read the history of the model. I had forgotten that every measurement of the 3 ft model is in it. The quote "My father always felt it was still floating around out there somewhere in this galaxy" felt very appropriate now. I wish Richard Datin was still alive to see its return.

Attachments

• 41tbcGDYA5L.jpg
    41tbcGDYA5L.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 104
If...and when someone "OFFICIALLY" declares it real(Gene Roddenberry's ghost or some TOP,TOP, TOP EXPERT), I'll wait for someone else to post it.

Personally again, at this point, I couldn't care less if it is or is not.
Thanks!

Screen Shot 2023-11-02 at 8.02.28 AM.png

Last edited:
So I was tempted to use some 3D software to look at the woodgrain on the bases.
I mapped the cameras using Fspy, and then did some camera projection to project the photos onto rough geometry approximating the wooden base. That lets us look at the wood grain in the two photos from the same angle. I added an orange arrow to just to help orient the eye in 3D space
View attachment 1757577Unfortunately that bag of screws taped to the base in the original blocks the best matching area, and the side of the base is all nonsense due to stretching textures, but thought someone might wanna look at it and see if they notice a match.
I DO think I see a match on one particular piecxe of grain... under the blur swoop, there's a green plotch in the same position in both photos.
View attachment 1757578

Thoughts?
Don't forget that the model pivots on the base. ;)

View attachment 1757774

Because one was poorly restored twice and needed an overhaul to undo the damage of being extremely inaccurate. It was useless as is. The other is all original and can stay that way and be interesting.

Well to be fair this one is much smaller. It's intact. Much of the original paint is there. So matching would be easy. As I said before after cleanup and fixing the nacelles and neck and putting the sensor dome back on....I think touching up the parts where the wood is now exposed and fixing the loose or missing decals would not be a big deal. The condition it's in now just serves to remind us that the thing was not returned to Roddenberry and it was not well taken care of....

Gary Kerr: “This is either the real McCoy, of the best fake I’ve ever seen”.

Interestingly, that’s what Greg Jein said about the forged auction phaser, back in 2021.

That being said, I also noticed the difference in the secondary hull windows. But far too many other tells and unique details line up with the real model:

* The shape of the linear accelerator/bolt cover on the rear saucer.

* The pilot hull color peeking out where the registry decals have peeled off.

* The placement and spacing of the saucer registry decals (with that very narrow gap between “U.S.S.” and “Enterprise”).

* The overall hull color, which matches vintage photos of the 11-footer.

* The size, placement, and red pinstripe thickness of the markings on the upper saucer,,as well as the circles inside the yellow rectangles on either side of the bolt cover.

* The damage on the copper rings behind the sensor dish on the secondary hull.

* The specific shape of the saucer, which is flatter on both top and bottom than the 11-footer.

* The size, shape, and placement of the window decals (alside from the aforementioned discrepancies on the lower saucer).

* The missing hangar doors.

* The colors of the impulse engines, nacelle pylon vents, and nacelle endcaps, which are different than the 11-footer.

* The size, shape, wood grain, and flexible mounting pole of the display base.

Very few people would be able to replicate the model so accurately and in so much detail, I think. David Shaw is the only person I know of who actually tried (several times) to build replicas (initially by modifying the 22-inch AMT kit, and later by scratchbuilding a 1:1 replica) and also make accurate blueprints.

If someone wanted to put together a forgery to sell at auction, I suspect they wouldn’t have gone to this much trouble and detail. More likely they’d just replicate the 1/350 Polar Lights model (which is based on the 11-footer, of course) in wood.

And, as noted, if this was a scam, it surely wouldn’t have popped up on eBay for a mere $1,000. It would have gone through Studio Auctions with the rest of the fakes, or if someone at Heritage had taken another bribe.

Someone didn’t know what they had, and threw it up on eBay. I’m just glad people were paying attention.

Gary Kerr: “This is either the real McCoy, of the best fake I’ve ever seen”.

Interestingly, that’s what Greg Jein said about the forged auction phaser, back in 2021.

That being said, I also noticed the difference in the secondary hull windows. But far too many other tells and unique details line up with the real model:

* The shape of the linear accelerator/bolt cover on the rear saucer.

* The pilot hull color peeking out where the registry decals have peeled off.

* The placement and spacing of the saucer registry decals (with that very narrow gap between “U.S.S.” and “Enterprise”).

* The overall hull color, which matches vintage photos of the 11-footer.

* The size, placement, and red pinstripe thickness of the markings on the upper saucer,,as well as the circles inside the yellow rectangles on either side of the bolt cover.

* The damage on the copper rings behind the sensor dish on the secondary hull.

* The specific shape of the saucer, which is flatter on both top and bottom than the 11-footer.

* The size, shape, and placement of the window decals (alside from the aforementioned discrepancies on the lower saucer).

* The missing hangar doors.

* The colors of the impulse engines, nacelle pylon vents, and nacelle endcaps, which are different than the 11-footer.

* The size, shape, wood grain, and flexible mounting pole of the display base.

Very few people would be able to replicate the model so accurately and in so much detail, I think. David Shaw is the only person I know of who actually tried (several times) to build replicas (initially by modifying the 22-inch AMT kit, and later by scratchbuilding a 1:1 replica) and also make accurate blueprints.

If someone wanted to put together a forgery to sell at auction, I suspect they wouldn’t have gone to this much trouble and detail. More likely they’d just replicate the 1/350 Polar Lights model (which is based on the 11-footer, of course) in wood.

And, as noted, if this was a scam, it surely wouldn’t have popped up on eBay for a mere $1,000. It would have gone through Studio Auctions with the rest of the fakes, or if someone at Heritage had taken another bribe.

Someone didn’t know what they had, and threw it up on eBay. I’m just glad people were paying attention.

I mostly agree. The only thing is I do think this person knew kinda knew what they had. The reason???

This video from Trek World A mere two months ago. The thing was missing for 44 years and then it turns up two months after a video detailing it's history comes out?? . I think the guy who had it, found out about the video and promptly put it up with worry that it was stolen ...lol..... It will be interesting to hear more about the storage unit and when it was purchased.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back