Limited Run Rebel Agent Saber - Inspired by Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II Kyle Katarn/Qu Rahn

Depending how this run goes I hope you consider this one next :D

Jerec-saber.jpg

As per Don Bies (the original prop builder) "We did that shoot really fast, and I'm pretty sure that the prop saber got tossed into a drawer at LucasArts and then disappeared because no one was keeping those things back then."

I'm paraphrasing slightly, because I don't have the quote in front of me.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the information, it all sounds sadly true. I read a Jason Court interview and another from the developers of the game in Star Wars Insider and both said that the entire live-action part was shot in about a week entirely in front of a blue screen. Hidden Empire got to use original ROTJ props from the archive but these...are probably gone forever.

Thanks for the information, it all sounds sadly true. I read a Jason Court interview and another from the developers of the game in Star Wars Insider and both said that the entire live-action part was shot in about a week entirely in front of a blue screen. Hidden Empire got to use original ROTJ props from the archive but these...are probably gone forever.

To add to that, knowing the construction methods it's possible that even if they're in a forgotten drawer they're probably in pieces now anyway. The only thing that makes me think maybe they're still around is that the holodisc showed up in an episode of Rebels, and having just modelled it I have to say the lines and dots look pretty close...

Youd think SOMEONE would have taken some poloroids or production shots of costumes or props at some point when they were filming. Or at least the builders. I mean they had to give photos or something to the CG animators, because I know they modeled a few of those like the holodisc and Katarn's saber.

Youd think SOMEONE would have taken some poloroids or production shots of costumes or props at some point when they were filming. Or at least the builders. I mean they had to give photos or something to the CG animators, because I know they modeled a few of those like the holodisc and Katarn's saber.

Actually the 3D model doesn't really match the prop at all. And in one scene the wrong saber is modeled and then switches to a different one when the camera changes. So I don't think they took the time to do it.

Actually the 3D model doesn't really match the prop at all. And in one scene the wrong saber is modeled and then switches to a different one when the camera changes. So I don't think they took the time to do it.

Totally true, the saber that comes out of WeeGee at Morgan's workshop looks nothing like the finished one. Even in the adaptation novel with art by Dave Dorman, Kyle uses Rahn's saber til the end despite it being destroyed after the escape from the imperial cargo ship. The only thing that changes is the color of the blade from green to yellow but since I love the design I never minded that mistake. In this day and age something like DFII would have been pretty big but back then it was almost a curiosity so it's not that strange that there are almost no promo pictures of the characters either (I remember one from a SW Insider and a couple more and that's it)

Also less of an update and more just extra information but we're looking into doing a specially designed stand and (maybe numbered) plaques :)

Also to whet your appetite until we can show you some actual sabery goodness here's a look at an unfinished holodisc I'm working on to keep my head in the aesthetics of Jedi Knight ;)

19lpBB9.jpg

Last edited:
Also less of an update and more just extra information but we're looking into doing a specially designed stand and (maybe numbered) plaques :)

Also to whet your appetite until we can show you some actual sabery goodness here's a look at an unfinished holodisc I'm working on to keep my head in the aesthetics of Jedi Knight ;)

https://i.imgur.com/19lpBB9.jpg

Loving the news regarding the stand. Is is inspired on something related to the game? That disc looks pretty sweet too.

Loving the news regarding the stand. Is is inspired on something related to the game? That disc looks pretty sweet too.

Yep, that's the plan, I want to stay faithful to the original game's aesthetic as much as I can for the stand, crystal chamber etc. :)

Yep, that's the plan, I want to stay faithful to the original game's aesthetic as much as I can for the stand, crystal chamber etc. :)
Awesome news. For such a small and rushed production, DFII really captured the worn-future-western aesthetic of the OT better than anything else that I've seen and expanded it into a more mystical territory with the introduction of the Dark Jedi and the Valley among other places.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back