rancor puppet replica

Thank you so much for the wonderfull comments everybody! i am so glad you are all liking my project so far.
Automobilly, yes i will be doing some castings ;)

That is absolutely stunning oh my god. I will throw my entire wallet at you for a casting as well. The rancor has been my #1 favorite creature design of all time ever since I was a child.

Osmethae, i am very glad you like it so far, and if i am going to be able to make the molds once it is done, if you would like a casting just let me know :thumbup: i've been working on the body, i spent about three hours on it today getting the back done and also the texture wich is pretty hard to get right...but i think i am getting there,i will be posting some pictures of my progress tomorrow morning.
Please excuse me if there are any spelling mistakes in my writing, i have lived out of the U.S most of my life, and i very keen to making mistakes

ok this is where i'm at, there still is a long way to go, please let me know if there are any areas wich have to be modified, there are still lots of imperfections...the "detail" that you see on the skin is just temporary, it was just to understand how the texture will be and also how to make it as close as possible to the real deal.
DSC07199.JPGDSC07203.JPGDSC07206.JPGDSC07208.JPGDSC07218.JPG

What tricks of the trade do you use to smoothen some of the harsh lines in the flesh? Or will you do that lateron?

Chaim

Well, what i like to usually do, is get some plastic wrap, for foods and stuff and i place it over the sculpture and then with a tooth pick i start tracing the lines, this gives it a very smooth and clean look, you should try it, it's a very usefull technique, and it makes a very cool effect, i like to make my own tools in base of what i use them for, for example in this sculpt i am just using a little curved needle, a sponge, plastic wrap, crumbled up tin foil for some areas of the skin wich have a ruff texture, and my fingers :) but i have to say, it is the first time i've worked with oil/wax based clay, and smoothing out areas is proving pretty hard, with normal water based clay i would just brush it down with a wet brush, but i can't do such a thing now...so i am kind of figuring it out while i work, i will post some pictures of the skin textures i will use tomorrow morning, explaining also how i create such textures, i would do that now actually... but i am in bed, it is one o'clock in the morning here hahaha, i hope that what i said answers you're question sym-cha :) , and as i said tomorrow morning i will be talking more about the skin texture,and please excuse me for the mistakes i make in my english, for i've lived abroad my hole life.

For skin texture with oil clay (mine was done in monster clay) I would cross hatch the area and then very carefully run a butane flame over the area. This causes the surrounding skin around the wrinkles to expand a little and give the crease some depth. You can also use white spirit with a brush to soften an area, much like you would do with water.

The sculpt is looking great! I would have the wrinkles on the back going upwards rather than towards the rear though. :)

Thank's for the advice christrom, tomorrow i will change the back and do as you said, i unfortunally don't have a butane flame, so i will go with the white spirit and see how it turns out, can't wait to try that!and i will see if i can get my hands on a butane flame...today i worked a bit on the head, i made the nose and the eyebrows slightly bigger, and it is looking better, tomorrow i will post some pictures so that i could have a second opinion :)

You can buy a 'pencil torch' which is almost like a jet flame lighter, but literally just waft it over the clay. Make sure you get one where you can control the flame though or you'll end up roasting it. Alternatively you can buy a dental torch, which you fill with methlyated spirit. I got one of these but hated the smell of it. Looking forward to your updates!

Today i didn't have much time to work on the sculpt unfortunally...i tried using though the white spirit and the flame, and i loved the effect that they make, thank you very much for the advice christrom, tomorrow i will post some pictures of my progress, and sorry if i wasn't able to post them today but i just have had so many things to do, and i didn't have the time..

man this project is looking killah.
forgive me but i forget the mans name who created this puppet initially for the film ROTJ. but he has is own company (which im sure most of you know already)
but he may be offering a replica of his own of the puppet that was used in the film.

but the way this is shaping up you could pass for that guy.. :lol

thank you DynamicMenace!very glad you like it, i didn't know this, i just looked it up and yes tippett studios is going to be collaborating with chronicle collectables, if they do make this rancor from the original mold...i wouldn't know how to take it, on one side it would be kind of cool,and one the other side i wouldn't like this a lot, in general i don't like it when they make replica's from the original molds...it kind of takes the magic out of the character in a certain way:unsure, at least this is my point of view :). Anyways here are some pics of what i got done today..not much, especially because i have an exam on monday and i have a lot to study....it's slowly shaping out though, once i am done with the exam, i will spend hole days on this and the progress is going to speed up a lot, i changed the lines on the back as christrom suggested, and it looks a lot better, i still have to work on it though, it's quite ruff at the moment, once i get it all proportioned, and finish all of the parts of the body i will start with detai, for now i am only working on the head and the body,as you can see in one of the pictures, i had to fix the eye, and this is how it looks now..
DSC07265.JPGDSC07287.JPGDSC07297.JPG

Looking great! This is going to be a great replica. The face is very tricky to get right, but you are getting there. I noticed in your earlier head sculpt that the nose needed fading into the mouth area and above the top teeth the 'gum' shape should follow the shape of the teeth. Bit difficult to explain, so I've done this on photoshop - it is over exaggerated to show you what I'm talking about. These are very minor things, but I suppose I took so long on my sculpt you do tend to notice!

I must say that the teeth on yours and the way they spread out almost like a venus fly trap is perfect! Much more convincing than mine :)

Untitled-1.jpg

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back