Ralph McQuarrie Concept Lightsaber for 3D Print - finished and chromed!

The first one were made, but i only know that due to these pics.

ffsabers1.jpg
Star-Wars-A-New-Hope-Lightsabers-1.jpg

No idea if they are oneoffs or if there was a run sometime .....

My God! Thanks for this, my friend!

I remember a few of these pics, but I never saw the fan made versions of those drawings before! I certainly do NOT recall a run of these, I think thy're one-offs.

Very cool, I like the short ones.

Bringing this thread back because I'm finally getting started! Thanks again for making (and then making available) these parts. Super fun project. Time to SAND!!
Sanding.jpg

Currently planning to use the graphite powder method with a paint scheme something like this:
PaintScheme.jpg

We'll see how it goes!

Almost two years since I began, I've finally got this thing painted!

I went with a black base, then used an automotive 2k clear coat for the first time as the gloss under Alclad chrome. I'm very impressed with the difference a proper clear coat makes. It's perhaps more effective in person. I tried a couple options on the gear-like rear part, and ended up using Alclad steel. The main body I gave a brushed look with a scouring pad. The grips remain gloss black, and I added the little hex screw in the slots near the front.

View attachment 967316 View attachment 967317
I finally figured out how the "deadman switch" works from an engineering/design point of view. Will try and model it tonight when I get home.
If I succeed I'll share my results, if not I'll share my crappy sketches that are probably only decipherable by me.

I can't believe it was 4 years since I said I'd think about this. I've tried modelling it a few times but it never worked out. This morning I was on the phone at work and an idea hit me and I started drawing it.

It's a pretty crappy drawing but I hope you can see what I'm thinking. As I said I'll try to model it up tonight.

I would love to make one with all the lights and sound and maybe a blade!

Attachments

• IMG_20200211_144722.jpg
    IMG_20200211_144722.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 137
I’ll be giving this a go as soon as my new 3D printer arrives. Just ordered a Creality CR-10 to replace my MP Select mini that has had issues since I tried and failed to do some mods to it. Whoops. But I’m looking forward to having 4x the build space! Thanks for making your work available, ChickenHaunt

I tried my hand at modelling the "trigger" but my F360 Foo is too weak. I bow to my betters.:notworthy:

Yes, thanks SO MUCH for sharing the files with us!

Thanks for the stand, too! Can't wait to print one out.

Now I wanna do a different McQuarrie hilt. Can we do one with a curved kinda dish-shaped emitter?

Or have you got a full plate as far as projects go?

I stole these pics from elsewhere, I basically just Google searched for ideas, but I kinda wanna do this version of the Stormtrooper lightsaber!
View attachment 967567

I absolutely LOVE the Trooper saber concept! If anyone ever did get around to modeling one I would love to give it a go! Anything from McQuarries concepts would be such a cool thing so create a collection out of.

Yes, thanks SO MUCH for sharing the files with us!

Thanks for the stand, too! Can't wait to print one out.

Now I wanna do a different McQuarrie hilt. Can we do one with a curved kinda dish-shaped emitter?

Or have you got a full plate as far as projects go?

I stole these pics from elsewhere, I basically just Google searched for ideas, but I kinda wanna do this version of the Stormtrooper lightsaber!
View attachment 967567

I absolutely LOVE the Trooper saber concept! If anyone ever did get around to modeling one I would love to give it a go! Anything from McQuarries concepts would be such a cool thing so create a collection out of.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back