Ralph McQuarrie Concept Lightsaber for 3D Print - finished and chromed!

ChickenHaunt

Sr Member
Among the treasures of the awesome Ralph McQuarrie Star Wars concept art book is this rendering of McQuarrie's vision of a lightsaber. You can see where Obi Wan's grew out of this. I thought it would be a good opportunity to practice my 3D modeling for an eventual 3D print.
FullSizeRender 4.jpg

Here's the initial block out in Fusion 360
Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 8.42.33 PM.png

More to come as I fumble my way through the modeling process.

Added in some details. I'm trying to stay as true as I can to the sketch, so there are some unusual angles created in the panel on top here. It almost feels like it's meant to be a large button that you squeeze. Figuring out the knurling near the pommel was trickier than I expected. Right now I'm thinking about leaving the screw out of the 3D model so I can insert a real one in the printed version.

Screen Shot 2016-12-27 at 10.19.06 PM.png

I'm thinking about how to break it down for printing, and I think the simplest solution will be to run a hole through the center of the various parts so that a rod can be threaded through the middle of the whole assembly. We'll see how it goes.

Looks great! Are you going for an idealised version, or a direct copy of the concept art? I ask, because if you're going for an exact copy, it looks (to my eye anyway) as if the main "tube" section in the middle needs to be shortened lengthways to better match the art.

Looks great! Are you going for an idealised version, or a direct copy of the concept art? I ask, because if you're going for an exact copy, it looks (to my eye anyway) as if the main "tube" section in the middle needs to be shortened lengthways to better match the art.

It does look like that, doesn't it? The measurements are all taken directly from the drawing. I just remeasured the dimensions of the drawing and compared to the model, and it all lines up.

I think it's probably an illusion with the way it's lit and/or the lack of grips at this stage?

FullSizeRender 5.jpg

It also looks to me like there's a slot cut into the pommel running lengthwise. Have a look at the area just below the centerline. It looks to pronounced to just be shading.

Also, what are your plans for the top face of the emitter? Flat, or add some detail? I feel like it should sink down in a sort of curve to the center "rod".

EDIT: I also agree that the top panel is the main switch. It'd be neat if it were a separate part that could be spring loaded!

I really like what you show to us here :cool - just one question, how did you decided for the dimensions? Just picked a part, said it´s xyz and gone from there for the other dims?

I´m asking this cause the more or less "official" standard grip diameter seems to be 38mm.

I think 1 and a half inches for the main tube may be a bit large for this particular design, but that's just me.

But looking at that last drawing, I'm seeing a "43" for the diameter. That's gonna be one fat and stubby hilt!

EDIT: the 43 may be for the part just behind the main grip. There's another dimension up near the top end of the grip section that says "39", putting it really close to Lichtbringer's "standard" diameter!

Last edited:
Do you see that "39", now?

I´ve seen that, but to me it looks like it´s meant fora stepped down "slot" - at least compared to the size of the 43mm parts and the 40mm at the pommel end.
From those dimensions i would gueass the main handle part as at least 40-41mm.

:wacko

I´ve seen that, but to me it looks like it´s meant fora stepped down "slot" - at least compared to the size of the 43mm parts and the 40mm at the pommel end.
From those dimensions i would gueass the main handle part as at least 40-41mm.

:wacko
You could be right. I thought the same about a smaller slot, but who knows.

Looking again, I think I see a "40" right next to the "rivet" detail. I think that's the intended diameter. It's barely noticable, just to the right of the "43".

This looks amazing, I've always wanted to make a McQuarrie-esque. Any chances you'll release these files when you're finished? Amazing modelling work. Very well done. :)

Okay, let's see if I can hit all the points.

I'm literally translating the dimensions straight from the printed page. It looked about the right size to me, so I'm guessing it's 1:1 and going with it. I mean, I'm wrong it takes half a second to scale the whole thing up or down.

I considered the possibility of that being some sort of slot in the pommel, but I'm pretty sure it's meant to be reflections in a highly polished metal. So perhaps the pommel section is chrome and the other parts are more brushed or matted.

I definitely was planning to add some detail in the emitter, perhaps as an homage to the final design.

Haha, I definitely would have written up the dimensions clearer if I had thought y'all would actually want to read it.

The main body is 40mm diameter. Again, just the size of the drawing. 43 is once you get to that first stage of the pommel, and 39 is the step down just before the long "button" at the front of the main body.

I'll figure out some way to let everyone have a crack at making one once it's done. There's still some interpretation to be had in the paint, etc., and I think it would be fun to see different takes.

Glad people are digging it so far!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back