Ralph McQuarrie Concept Lightsaber for 3D Print - finished and chromed!

I haven't settled on the paint scheme yet. I think it ought to be kept pretty simple, though. Probably some chrome parts, some more brushed aluminum, and perhaps black in the grips.

Tarkin, the files are designed for 3D printing, so pretty much any kind of plastic is possible. I suppose someone with the know how could adapt it for metal machining, if they wanted.

Okay, I've finally "finished" mine, for now. I changed a few details, and added a few, just to make it mine. And to have a few "real" bits and bobs on it rather than have the whole thing be PLA. Well, aside from the steel rod running through the center.

Emitter detail is from a little roller bearing I had, with a thin brass ring beneath it. I think it's from a camera lens. I've got so many parts/greeblie bags and boxes sometimes I forget what came from where!

I drilled and tapped both ends of the rod and threaded the top and bottom parts so no glue is needed at all. Added some small chrome 3mm LED bezels at the little round detail areas at the top of the main body. For a minute I had chromed slot car hubs and Swarovski rhinestones like on an old Star Trek Communicator, and while they looked pretty good, they were just a tad too bling for my taste!

Painted gloss black after priming, then sprayed some Alclad "Duraluminum". Then took a silver leafing pen to it, then gave it some light washes of brown and black.

Put all the parts back on the lathe and lightly polished/burnished the finish. And here's how it looks now! Kinda reminds me of galvanized steel. And I'm not totally sure I like it, but I like it enough to leave it alone for awhile!

One thing I still want to do is cover the "exclamation mark" on the switch with something a little different.
1211181640.jpg
1211181641.jpg
1211181641a.jpg
1211181642.jpg
1211181642a.jpg
1211181643.jpg
1211181643a.jpg
1211181644.jpg
1211181645.jpg
1211181646.jpg
1211181644b.jpg

And after looking at the pics one more time, I can see a few areas that could've used a bit more sanding/prep before I started painting! Dangit, I hate print lines!!

Last edited:
That looks great, Dann! I like the finish, and that emitter detail is perfect.

Funny you should post this now, I'm just getting ready to gloss my parts.

I legit love the galvanized look on that lightsaber. It's not one I've seen before on a saber and it works to keep up the prop's own unique alternate reality feel.

Great googlie-mooglie! That thing is a work of art!! :)
The weathering, the extra greeblies, & the galvanized metal look is perfect!
& I love the two little holder stands! What are those? I need some.

Great googlie-mooglie! That thing is a work of art!! :)
The weathering, the extra greeblies, & the galvanized metal look is perfect!
& I love the two little holder stands! What are those? I need some.
Thanks!

Oh man, I've had several pairs of those little "stand" thingys for YEARS! I think someone on the RPF waaaay back in the day suggested them for just this purpose. I think they're bathroom towel hangers/hooks or something like that. But they don't have a wall mounting hole, so I'm not sure. Argh, I can't remember exactly. That's gonna bother me!

Edit:
I wanna say maybe they came from Bed Bath and Beyond? I dunno, but if you go there, stay away from that "Beyond" section!!

Last edited:
Almost two years since I began, I've finally got this thing painted!

I went with a black base, then used an automotive 2k clear coat for the first time as the gloss under Alclad chrome. I'm very impressed with the difference a proper clear coat makes. It's perhaps more effective in person. I tried a couple options on the gear-like rear part, and ended up using Alclad steel. The main body I gave a brushed look with a scouring pad. The grips remain gloss black, and I added the little hex screw in the slots near the front.

20181221-IMG_9466-2.jpg
20181221-IMG_9457-2.jpg

Holy Bejeezus! Man, that is shiny!

Nice work, really nice. Incredible, and I love the brushed look on the main body.

I like the stand! Where'd you get it?

wow, yours is also super nice, completely different than Dann's finishing but extremely nice as well. congrats and thanks again for sharing your file (y)

Yes, thanks SO MUCH for sharing the files with us!

Thanks for the stand, too! Can't wait to print one out.

Now I wanna do a different McQuarrie hilt. Can we do one with a curved kinda dish-shaped emitter?

Or have you got a full plate as far as projects go?

I stole these pics from elsewhere, I basically just Google searched for ideas, but I kinda wanna do this version of the Stormtrooper lightsaber!
kollen-wasylean-lightsaber-hi-res-03.jpg
kollen-wasylean-lightsaber-hi-res-01.jpg
kollen-wasylean-lightsaber-hi-res-02.jpg
kollen-wasylean-lightsaber-hi-res-04.jpg
kollen-wasylean-lightsaber-hi-res-06.jpg
kollen-wasylean-lightsaber-hi-res-05.jpg

Then there's this one, and while still very cool, I'm not as crazy about it as the first one..
kollen-wasylean-vader-lightsaber-01.jpg
kollen-wasylean-vader-lightsaber-04.jpg
kollen-wasylean-vader-lightsaber-03.jpg
kollen-wasylean-vader-lightsaber-02.jpg
kollen-wasylean-vader-lightsaber-06.jpg
kollen-wasylean-vader-lightsaber-05.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, I've always got a full plate of projects, but that's never stopped me before! If you find some other clear McQuarrie lightsaber drawings, or even other prop concepts, I'd definitely consider it.

I hope to see others' interpretations of this one!

Pics i collected over the years, no idea who might have posted them. If they are yours and you don´t want to have them shared ...... let me know and i will delete them.

Maybe this is usefull for you guys?

Star-Wars-A-New-Hope-Luke-Skywalker-McQuarrie-Lightsaber-5.jpg
McQuarriesaber1.jpg
McQuarriesaberparts.jpg
McQuarriesaber3.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back