"RAIDERS" of the Lost Ark?

Watching RAIDERS right now on Paramount. Anyone else ever wonder how lucky Indy was to be in the Map Room at the right time of the year? :)

Pretty much, I mean there was that calender thingy he used to place the staff but that could never work all year long. Seems it would be good for maybe a few weeks.

The calendar thing was supposed to account for that. Different holes for different days of the year. Note that he picked a different hole than the one Belloq had apparently used the previous day.

Seems the sweet spot for the top of the staff would be limited. The calendar thingy was pretty small, rectangular.
I would imagine a much larger sweeping arc shaped calendar thingy, maybe even stepped, or variable staff height needed too.

Ah well, too late for Mythbusters movie myths to have a go at it.

cOuPhtC.jpg

Ahh, it was sloped some...

eLFVgfI.png

Last edited:
Imagine a modern country's capital city having a map room like that. They create a modern version of the staff/crystal and everthing. It's all set up to show exactly where the bank system's gold reserves are stashed.

:whistle:

Well its the Nazis and Belloq now that they rewrote history and renamed the movie Indiana Jones AND the Raiders of the Lost Ark. It will always be just The Raiders of the Lost Ark to me...

Last edited:
Imagine a modern country's capital city having a map room like that. They create a modern version of the staff/crystal and everthing. It's all set up to show exactly where the bank system's gold reserves are stashed.

The truly remarkable thing would be the gold still being there. Usually the gold buried with one pharoah was unearthed by the next one to jumpstart their reign with the blame going to "raiders". For it to still be there means the society collapsed immediately upon burial. This is why most gold stashes are found in or near a burnt village or church (or a plague site). The burier and all concerned had to die for it to stay hidden.

The truly remarkable thing would be the gold still being there. Usually the gold buried with one pharoah was unearthed by the next one to jumpstart their reign with the blame going to "raiders". For it to still be there means the society collapsed immediately upon burial. This is why most gold stashes are found in or near a burnt village or church (or a plague site). The burier and all concerned had to die for it to stay hidden.
Well, in the movie, Brody did state that "the city was buried by a sandstorm that lasted an entire year, wiped clean by the desert". So I imagine that would put the kibosh on any Pharaoh's attempts to recover the gold in there.

On a side note, when I heard about the movie in various magazines before its release, I thought it was about Noah's Ark. Seriously. I had no knowledge of the Ark of the Covenant. I was baffled there was a movie coming out about Harrison Ford and Noah's Ark.

Sorry to resurrect this necro thread... but I.J. 4 or 5 would have been BETTER if Indy was looking for Noah's Ark, IMO.

The cribbage board doesn't really belong in the map room. It was just stored there between games. The whole staff thing where x marks the spot was just a coincidence.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back