"RAIDERS" of the Lost Ark?

Now, since Marion was in the movie and wore her hair in a braid early on, I suppose she would be a Braider of the Lost Ark. :p
You'll just get us all started again....maybe someone else braided her hair, maybe the ark can't be called lost after being found.... what if she cuts her hair before finding the ark... what if Indy helps her rebraid her hair before/after the ark is/isn't lost... what if... oh no... oh heck no...what if....
Screenshot_20230309-212057_Samsung Internet.jpg

I really want to know where I was during all this. There have been multiple videos and songs listed the last few days that I have never seen. Like I was living under a rock or something.
"Living under a rock"...no pun intended?:p No need to say that this thread has gone left field real fast:lol:...but I like it (a lot!)

This violent yanking of the convo steering wheel has led to my realization that I have never seen anything but short clips of UHF, Be Kind Rewind, and High Fidelity. It's like looking into my ..... cup and realizing I have chosen "Poorly". Life Stop. I just now realized for the first time ever, even while writing this reply, that I have no idea why the Holy Grail is a cup or why a cup would be called a grail. What the heck does Grail mean?

I considered posting that UHF clip, but thought "nah, surely it's old news." Glad to see it getting some fresh discovery.
I shared a clip in my first film studies class; the teacher could not have expressed more disdain.

greenmachines The precise etymology of "grail" isn't fully known, but it essentially means "vessel." In the earliest stories it was a bowl or saucer, and then morphed into a drinking cup in alignment with the Holy Chalice of the Last Supper. While in this case divinity derives from catching *****'s blood, the legend may have been influenced by earlier supernatural vessels - for instance, Zeus's cornucopia in Greek mythology.

Cornucopia_(PSF).png

Back to Raiders... it finally occurred to me to consult Rinzler's "Making Of," and it turns out the title long preceded most of the plot and characters (aside from Indiana and the Nazi premise) per this recollection of Lucas and Spielberg's vacation to Hawaii following the release of Star Wars:

"[George] told me he wanted to make a series of Raiders films," Spielberg says. "So I asked, 'What's a Raiders film?' And he said, 'Well the first one's called Raiders of the Lost Ark.' He didn't know the titles for the other two, but every film was Raiders of This or of That." (pg. 19)

So I suppose if Lucas had stuck to his guns, we might've gotten Raiders of the Temple of Doom, Raiders of the Last Crusade, etc.

Last edited:
This violent yanking of the convo steering wheel has led to my realization that I have never seen anything but short clips of UHF, Be Kind Rewind, and High Fidelity. It's like looking into my ..... cup and realizing I have chosen "Poorly". Life Stop. I just now realized for the first time ever, even while writing this reply, that I have no idea why the Holy Grail is a cup or why a cup would be called a grail. What the heck does Grail mean?
I highly recommend Be Kind Rewind and somewhat recommend UHF. UHF’s a trip, in case Weird Al wasn’t warning enough.

I considered posting that UHF clip, but thought "nah, surely it's old news." Glad to see it getting some fresh discovery.
I shared a clip in my first film studies class; the teacher could not have expressed more disdain.

greenmachines The precise etymology of "grail" isn't fully known, but it essentially means "vessel." In the earliest stories it was a bowl or saucer, and then morphed into a drinking cup in alignment with the Holy Chalice of the Last Supper. While in this case divinity derives from catching *****'s blood, the legend may have been influenced by earlier supernatural vessels - for instance, Zeus's cornucopia in Greek mythology.

View attachment 1678637

Back to Raiders... it finally occurred to me to consult Rinzler's "Making Of," and it turns out the title long preceded most of the plot and characters (aside from Indiana and the Nazi premise) per this recollection of Lucas and Spielberg's vacation to Hawaii following the release of Star Wars:

"[George] told me he wanted to make a series of Raiders films," Spielberg says. "So I asked, 'What's a Raiders film?' And he said, 'Well the first one's called Raiders of the Lost Ark.' He didn't know the titles for the other two, but every film was Raiders of This or of That." (pg. 19)

So I suppose if Lucas had stuck to his guns, we might've gotten Raiders of the Temple of Doom, Raiders of the Last Crusade, etc.
So, either George included Indy in his personal definition of Raider or he intended for Indy to be thwarting tomb raiders in every movie... So I still don't see a definitive from George himself. I would love to see who gave the text to the voice narrator of the commercial that clearly claimed they were ALL raiders, which included Indy.

Indy was described as a 'tomb robber' from the earliest brainstorming.

In the first movie Indy's adversary Belloch gives him a monlogue about how similar they are. Indy sits there grumbling and doesn't even protest.

The Indy who was Connery's son, the boy scout, the saviour of the children in 'Doom', Marion's eventual husband, Mutt's dad . . . that was all subsequent developments of the character. In 1977-81 Indy was just an over-educated sex-offending tomb robber. In 'Raiders' he does a number of shoot-first murders without batting an eye.

The US govt was hot to snatch the Ark before Hitler got it. They weren't itching to put it in the Smithsonian for the historical significance. And they weren't planning on giving it to the Egyptian authorities once they got it.

I think it's totally fair to call Indy one of the 'Raiders' in 1977-81.

Last edited:
In KotCS, Indy raider the fridge. Maybe they need to rename that movie "Raiders of the Refrigerator" :D

The Indy who was Connery's son, the boy scout, the saviour of the children in 'Doom', Marion's eventual husband, Mutt's dad . . . that was all subsequent developments of the character. In 1977-81 Indy was just an over-educated sex-offending tomb robber. In 'Raiders' he does a number of shoot-first murders without batting an eye.
The thing is: TOD was a prequel to Raiders.

So, either George included Indy in his personal definition of Raider or he intended for Indy to be thwarting tomb raiders in every movie...
Sorry, meant to include this earlier tidbit - also from Rinzler's "Making Of," regarding initial story discussions with Philip Kaufman in 1974 (during which Kaufman suggested the idea of the Ark):

"I also had at that point a little character backstory," Lucas says, "which had come out of the questions: Why didn't Indiana Smith become a regular archaeologist? Why did he become a thief? It was hard to figure out in my mind why a professor, who can live very modestly, would go out and do all this tomb-raider business and then sell the artifacts to museums. The answer was that he had a habit: the good life. He did it because he had a lavish lifestyle to support - he was addicted to being a playboy." (pg. 18)

That seems pretty definitive to me.

Now on a less academic note, I present further levity that simply had to be done:

Radars of the Lost Ark_sm.jpg

Last edited:
Never seen UHF?
Its so great. I just rewatched it right before his new movie came out....I still like UHF better.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back