Raiders of the Lost Ark U-boat Discussion

DivineHeresy

Sr Member
Does anyone have any, or know where i can get, screen shots of the u-boat from Raiders of the Lost Ark that they wouldn't mind sharing?

I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:
Re: Raiders of the Lost Ark screencaps

The reason for asking is because i'd heard that the conning tower was loaned from the Bavaria Filmstudios and is the original tower from Das Boot (one of my all time favourite movies)
I know it's painted different, just checking whether this is true or not.
Anyone have any other info on this?

Edit.
Just found some info on Wikipedia...

"The outdoor mock-up was basically a shell propelled with a small engine, and stationed in La Rochelle, France and has a history of its own. One morning the production crew walked out to where they kept it afloat and found it missing. Someone had forgotten to inform the crew that an American filmmaker had rented the mock-up for his own film shooting in the area. This filmmaker was Steven Spielberg and the film he was shooting was Raiders of the Lost Ark."

Last edited:
Re: Raiders of the Lost Ark screencaps

I've visited the la Rochelle Ubootbunker where they filmed, and it still had the U-96 swordfish logo on one of the pens. Neat.

Re: Raiders of the Lost Ark screencaps (U-boat help)

the towere is still there at bavarian movie studios, you can actually stand in it and the entire and i mean the entire das boot set is there and you can have access to it during the tour

Been wanting to go to La Rochelle a while now, hopefully i'll get a chance in the future.

It's worth a look. Also Brest, St. Nazaire, L'Orient, other places too. Those bunkers are really impressive.

IIRC the town of La Rochelle is planning to incorporate their bunker into some kind of community facility, with an observation deck on top and so on.

I think this is the pic you're talking about...
294537931_ca37629cb9_o.jpg

...and this is a cap from the film. You can tell it is the same tower.
4141085958_e9ee546320_o.jpg

Yes, they didn't just loan the tower but the entire sub. I recall it needed to be towed and also did very poorly in waves over 3 feet. It wasn't made at all for any kind of real maneuvers and was really just a shell for the exteriors for purposes of filming. They had the sub for three days for filming and could only film on the last day due to high winds and waves.

Last edited:

Yep. In this ariel shot you can see the UBoat pens where those scenes were filmed and in that same harbor off towards the bottom is where they shot the external shots for the Bantu Wind of the docks.

UBootBunkerLaRochelle.jpg

la_rochelle_02a.jpg

Last edited:

Yeh. Great pictures of the pens.

Another reason for wanting to look at the screen caps was to try and find out why and when the Das Boot tower got a "U-41" painted on top of the sawfish at some point...

andi_tower.jpg

Looks to be a mystery.

Also notice how much rust has developed from my pic to yours. I have no idea when mine was shot compared to yours but you can see the difference. Such a shame that this important (important to only some of us, I guess) piece of film history is allowed to just rust away as are the many other Indy props at Disney theme parks. :thumbsdown

The pic is from the Uboat.net website, not taken by me.
Althought i am an Indy fan i'm a huge Das Boot fan.
Just trying to find out as much about the film as possible.

The pic i posted looks older than yours, so maybe it's had a repaint since?
Also, the sawfish's look totally different. In different positions.
But i totally agree, i hope it gets look after better in the near future. Such an amazing thing.

Hah, it´s always the same, you work close to a piece of movie history but don´t take time to visit it. Five years at Bavaria studios and I have no pics of it :rolleyes

It´s really a shame that they don´t take care of their props there. A few years ago they scrapped the "Enemy mine" exhibit, no idea where that stuff ended up :\

There is always tomorrow. Get us some recent pics if you have the opportunity, please. I'd love to see them and I'd love to hear what happened to the rest of the sub from the film if anyone knows.

Some more info as far as props go - the minature for this sub (made at ILM) used in Raiders was supposedly auctioned off last year on Ebay but I wasn't so sure if it was the right one or not. Here's a shot of it.
3142720271_e762969b0f_o.jpg
413273349_916d703a50_o.jpg

You can tell just from these two photos that the tower is completely different but the hull has many similar attributes, so who knows if it is the same model with a different tower or a totaly different model with a bogus description? Also, about a decade ago or so the supposed mold for the minature sub was also auctioned off on Ebay. I can't recall what it went for and don't have any pics because it was before I was smart enough to start cataloging all of this info.

Last edited:
There is always tomorrow. Get us some recent pics if you have the opportunity, please. I'd love to see them and I'd love to hear what happened to the rest of the sub from the film if anyone knows.

Some more info as far as props go - the minature for this sub (made at ILM) used in Raiders was supposedly auctioned off last year on Ebay but I wasn't so sure if it was the right one or not. Here's a shot of it.
3142720271_e762969b0f_o.jpg
413273349_916d703a50_o.jpg

You can tell just from these two photos that the tower is completely different but the hull has many similar attributes, so who knows if it is the same model with a different tower or a totaly different model with a bogus description? Also, about a decade ago or so the supposed mold for the minature sub was also auctioned off on Ebay. I can't recall what it went for and don't have any pics because it was before I was smart enough to start cataloging all of this info.

It's the same miniature. The Sub miniature was originally build for Spielberg's "1941" as a japanese sub, and was 26 or 27 foot long. Later reused by ILM for Raiders. It was given a different VII-C tower, but the hull was still the same japanese sub, hence the differences in the saddle tanks among other. The tower (and most of the deck) was removable to gain access to the inside.

I'm sure this was a quick and cheap way of getting a sub shot without having to build a completely new miniature.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Wasili

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back