Raiders Flying WING

Ive been wanting to do this for awhile now. This is just a quickie 2 hour foam study model to see how this will go together. its and easy one. just wanted to look at the transiton from center body to wing. I figured what the Heck, my silicone order got pushed back for delivery until Monday.

I did half the model and it looks fairly simple. so ill draw out the cross sections and have the ribs laser cut for the body and wings. all the Dimensions are from the star wars to indy book.

Heres a few pics of the foam model. Real model to follow shortly.

Thanks for looking.

Al

raiderswing001.jpg

raiderswing015.jpg

raiderswing010.jpg

raiderswing018.jpg

raiderswing022.jpg

raiderswing024.jpg

raiderswing028.jpg

Last edited:
Re: WINGING IT, Raiders Style

Glad to see someone is finally tackling this bird. Never understood why none of the big manufacturers made a kit of this.

Really looking forward to the progress :cool

-Fred

Black Sun kit is nice but this looks like the plan is to go larger - yes? YUM!

Sounds perfect. YUM some more, can't wait to see this progress.

PS just clocked your sig. Awesome. :lol

Now, this IS something that catches my eye. I love this subject, very cool your doing it in a mansized portion!

lee

Al, just a brain fart, from somebody who has never sculpted a shape like this but, what foam is that, and, do you use a hot wire to cut/shape?
Id like to have a go at a project that involves this kind of route someday.

lee

Lee. Its urethane foam. Cant hot wire it, but it sands very easy. Its a low density, you can get very soft or firm depending on the type of detail you need.

How did I miss this new build from you Al I'm slipping I have never used foam but was thinking of using it for my next top secret project :cool.

Hmmm, a diorama that would be big. Not sure about that yet. Would be cool, desert runway with a scale Ark getting ready to be loaded on board. Have to think about it.

It would be huge, but epic! Can't help myself I dream BIG. Used to stress out my parents building functional amusement parks from legos & tinker toys, that took up entire rooms of the house.
Now I want to see more pics, She's looking real good!

Ok after doing the quick mock up, and getting some nice reference. i redrew the wing with the propper angles of the wing.

Still need to refine the drawing and do the side and front views, to get the cross section.

this will be a kit. even though this is in the general section it will be studio scale. if this could get moved that would be great.

Heres the top view still being refined

RaidersWing_zps52c7eeac.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back