R2D2 Build

yay! Lighting kit and surrounds should ship sometime next week!
I just got my first look at what it's going to be like assembling the TeeCe kit..holy crap I'm scared :). Not difficult looking, but oh so tiny pieces!

The dome is supposed to slide all the way to the bottom of the inner dome, so it matches the blue part, correct? Or is the blue part supposed to rise up to meet the outer dome?

Well the metal band that you cut off of the bottom of the outer dome (the blue part) slides over the inner dome and varies a bit depending on which R2 photo you are looking at (it can never easy :lol). I just centered mine in the space.

Are you going to have opening panels or have them gluded in?

I am hoping to do a droid build at some point, and I am LOVING this thread!

I just joined up over at the astromech site, so when I ask this understand that I'm a droid noob, but what's the purpose of having an inner and outer dome, especially if they fit so tightly together?

-Alex

I just joined up over at the astromech site, so when I ask this understand that I'm a droid noob, but what's the purpose of having an inner and outer dome, especially if they fit so tightly together?

-Alex
someone answered that for me...I'll see if I can refind it....

403942_10150612747160211_530260210_11515073_190113881_n.jpg

I decided to test out the Victor's Painting Moves from the droid wiki. Already applied about 6 coats of primer. One coat every 30 minutes over the course of the day. I'll let it sit for a day, and maybe tommorow or Monday will apply the blue and purple and cermaic spray to finish it off, and we'll see how long it goes...

I've decided to wait on cutting out the panels on the inner dome. I'm gluing the top panels to the dome, so no cutting there. But I will need to cut holes for the HP's and lights. Figured it's best to wait till the parts arrive to see if they fit the pre cut holes.

Someone asked this as well, the answer for the top panels is that I'm going to wind up gluing them on. None of them will open. I see no need for radar periscope or other gadgets. this thing is going to be expensive as it is

Can't seem to refind that post... But basically the inner dome is supposed to make attaching panels and extra gadgets easier... I've found you don't really need an inner dome, and I think it's just a preferance.

407495_10150612942890211_530260210_11515447_2031214293_n.jpg

now R2 Blue.. just hope it dries this good.. only thing left is clear enamel spray and if it turns out good on these panels, I will do the rest..

422336_10150614656965211_530260210_11520319_1881821594_n.jpg

except for one panel, that I think got blotches on it when I transported it from the paint bench...not all that bad for a first effort, I think. Now on to the rest of the panels..

431243_10150615149835211_530260210_11521256_1292148450_n.jpg

Since I am not sure if I'm supposed to match the hole exactly, or leave a little bit of space for the parts to be glued in...but I'm doing a test hole drill on one area now that I've gotten the dome even.

I didn't wait long enough for them to dry, so some are gonig to require a quick sand and extra coat of blue when ready for final assembly... but a quick mock up. this is pretty much all I can do until actual parts arrive.

Last edited:
403920_10150617323980211_530260210_11526649_985501772_n.jpg

2 holes down.. this is the most nerve wracking part...I'm trying to leave a little leeway just in case the parts need it. I'm going to try and cut one last hole for the day, one of the holo projectors...

The damaged paint panels where repainted and look passable. I'll let them sit there the whole weekend and hope that solves that problem. I got one small hole drilled out near the holo projector. so that just leaves two more holo projector holes, two PSI's and two surrounds to drill out when the parts arrive. Looks like this is all I can do until sometime mid February.

the body and skirt should come in April, as well as, hopefully, the metal skins. That just leaves the following to buy.

legs, feet, holo projectors, and all the various minor attachments...at least MOST of the most expensive parts are done and spoken for..

419685_10150617558625211_530260210_11527040_517203493_n.jpg

all parts now a bit more properly painted R2 blue. they might need a third round of touching up when the time comes for final assembly, but now they'll do.

423635_10150620190300211_530260210_11533385_590251792_n.jpg

considerign how long people had been waiting for theirs, utterly shocked my metal skins arrived in a little under 2/3 weeks! Thanks John! Too bad my Com8B frame won't arrive till April!

Last edited:
thanks for that, I didn't think there where that many blue panels on him...
So, like the dome, there are inner and outer skins? These might be more complicated than I thought :)

Now that all the tabs are dry for the face, I put them back on to see how well they all fit...

395746_10150622482105211_530260210_11542076_821451176_n.jpg

425960_10150622483755211_530260210_11542081_112867876_n.jpg

Now that bad...
edit - anyone know how I can shrink picture size without doing it in photo shop? I used to know HTML talk a long time ago, but have since forgotten all of it :)

OK, I can get all the remaining body parts from astro spares. Power Couplers Coin Slots, Octogan port, and Large Data port, assuming those will fit the 8B frame (or would it have to fit the skins?).

That just leaves the two vents in the front, the 5(?) lined thing on his front/back near the legs, and that little indented square to the right of it (looking on the front). Not sure on the names, will have to look them up. But that should cover all the parts from the body, and hopefully not set me back more than $700 ;o)

That still leaves holo projectors to finish off the head, and looking for metal legs and feet to finish all the major parts..all of which will probably take a few months to get here, or to wait to go on sale :). hopefully they'll all arrive around the same time ;o)

scored three more metal parts. The LDP, the Coin slots, and the Octogan Ports. Now I just need two Power Couplers, Deep Pocket Vents, and front Vents, and all the viewable cosmetics should be complete.

I'm trying to flash learn all these part names, so I don't miss out on any runs that could take at least a few years to show up again... I already missed out on a set of pocket vents :).

yay! My TeeCee lights should be getting here tommorow! Looks like I'm coming back from the shore after all on Friday :)....

Will be practicing on the test kit he was kind enough to supply first... if I can get a light lit on there no problem, I'll go onto the real thing.. When my Surrounds arrive, I should be able to drill the holes for them on the Inner dome, and finally glue the outer dome into place if everything looks good. then it'll be a final paint on the dome panels, and they can get secured where the drilling is done, at least... Now I just need to be on the look out for the HoloProjector, Deep Pocket Vents, Front vents, and Power Couplers, and the dome and body parts should be completed...

The lights have arrived... coming back from the shore today or tomorrow to take a looksee :). I am scared crapless at making one little mistake and frying the whole thing, like I did the sound chip for my Ghostbusters pack :). That one actually smoked!

Thankfully, I think he included an older model with one light so I can test it first :).

The Coin slots get here today... I also finally secured a set of Holo Projectors, all three metal. If we get confirmed, those will arrive here in March. Leg Struts where also secured today.

So, all that leaves for the face is the Radar Eye to go on sale. For the Body, Deep Pocket Vents, Front Vents, Power Couplers, and that indented square piece.. We also need to wiat for the Jag Legs and feet to go back on sale.. and that SHOULD be most of the droid parts spoken for

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back