R2 Dome progress pics

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by IndyMike, Jul 6, 2006.

1. IndyMike

IndyMike New Member

I finally feel like I'm starting to make progress on my R2, so I thought I'd share what he looked like as of Tuesday. I'm going for an ANH R2, thus the darker blue panels.

The first paint job I did was too light and of course I'd already glued them in place. So after a LOT of taping and second paint job, I think I got a pretty decent color for ANH. I used my brother's car paint chips and to match samples and pics I've collected. The paint is pretty cool, IMO. It looks blue in certain lights, has a purple hue in others and can look almost black in other situations.

it looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last night, it was clearcoated (to stop the aluminum from oxidizing and showing smudges from working on it), and also painted the holo projector surrounds. After letting the clearcoat cure, I started gluing in the surrounds. It's really starting to look like the little 'garbage can' now. I'll have to take pics next clear day we have and post the updated version.

Mike

2. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

its hard to tell if the blue is ANH accurate, as how the camera captures it, but looks and sounds gorgeous to me.

great work so far... :D

3. spastromech

spastromech Well-Known Member

Looks great Mike. What paint did you use?

4. Andy Kernow

Andy Kernow New Member

Good job there, Bro.
    From the reflections, I'd say you've got a great finish on R2.
    What colour, Rover tahiti blue or similar?
    I'm having to re-do dome stuck panels myself, so I know what a nightmare that can be.
    Keep up the good work,
    Andy

5. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

6. Al May

Al May Well-Known Member

great job,it shows how much effort you have put in,well done,cant wait to see the rest of him.

7. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(mmarosy @ Jul 6 2006, 07:59 PM) [snapback]1275368[/snapback]</div>
    Exactly as R2 should be...

I have a fiberglass dome I need to complete and would likewise be interested in your paint colors...

8. Talisen

Talisen Sr Member

I'll chime in with interest in the Blue colour as well.

I thought about Car paint, saw a CR-V that had a blue that appeared to do the trick with the purple and black appearance as well. I think it was Royal Blue Pearl according to Honda.

9. Stormy320

Stormy320 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks good.

I like the ANH blue best and I don't like the blue used in I, II, III.

I painted mine Mini Cooper Blue that was offered in 03 and 04. I think they lightened the color in 05.

I've been happy with the results.

10. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Stormy320 @ Jul 7 2006, 04:05 AM) [snapback]1275682[/snapback]</div>

Was JUST going to say, I saw a Cooper in a blue that looked just right....

11. IndyMike

IndyMike New Member

The blue is actually from Color Max auto paint chip. I meant to write down the chip number this morning, but forgot in the rush to get the kids up and out. I'll get it tonight. (It's written on the tape covering Kenny's signature on the inside of the dome.)

The pics shown here have the blue with clear coat and bare aluminum dome. I kept having smudges and scuffs (from working on it) coming out on the dome, so Wednesday, we cleaned it up and clearcoated the whole thing to prevent oxidization. It all really shines now, but scuffs and stuff still show through, so it still has character. Just the smudges won't appear any more.

I've since added the HPs and the main eye. I'll try to take more pics on Saturday. He's really coming together now and looking like he should.

I'll post the chip numbers tonight.

Thanks for all the compliements.

Mike

12. Jimbo890

Jimbo890 Well-Known Member

Very nice. Tell us where you got the dome? How much for a like one? Did you have to dremel the panel lines or was that already done to it?

13. DRAGONFLY

DRAGONFLY New Member

That looks amazing. Have to get started on mine. Keep up the good work.

14. IndyMike

IndyMike New Member

The dome is an R&J Dome (a builder on the R2 Builders message board). It comes in 3 pieces. An inner and outer dome and the ring. The outer dome is laser cut, so you have to trim out the panels and glue them in place. You also glue the ring on. I had to drill out holes in the inner dome for the main eye, logic displays and holo projectors. I also sanded the heck out of the area you see through the blue 'frame' around the side of the dome to get it to shine. I left the rest of the dome roughed out to help glue adhere.

For gluing the the dome pieces, I used a JB weld from my brother's auto shop and for the panels, and greebles on the dome, I acutally used windshield glue. That stuff isn't going anywhere.

The main eye is screwed in and the two buttons are actually carriage bolts painted. Had to go to an Ace Hardware to get a set that didn't have writing on the head of the bolt.

Mike

15. IndyMike

IndyMike New Member

FYI, the color chip is Color Max #MB890.50.

16. Light_Tech

Light_Tech Active Member

Looks great :thumbsup , mine however is not so great :thumbsdown . I really should work on the dome, but i've been side tracked by the skins of the droid for a while now.

Chris

17. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

That looks great Mike. :thumbsup

18. frightzone_4_you

frightzone_4_you Well-Known Member

Looks good :thumbsup, I'm about to start to paint the panels myself & I have not yet decided on auto body paint or the old Krider spray paint effect :confused

19. darth_sayder

darth_sayder New Member

Absolutely gorgeous :thumbsup

20. Corellianexports

Corellianexports Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Lookin' good. :D

What did you use for the bumps?

I found some at ACE Hardware, but I think they're too bulbous.

21. IndyMike

IndyMike New Member

The bumps are carriage bolts from Ace, though they may be sunk in a bit. Long story...

I originally had drilled for the bumps (make sure you drill a whole big enough to fit the square underneath the bolt head). But then thought I'd try to use a resin cast set. After filing out the inner dome to fit the resin, I realized that it didn't line up perfectly to my dome, and were sunk in too much.

So now I'm left with wholes too big for my bolts. :cry

I then took a couple of spare pieces of aluminum from my skins, glued them together and glued them to the inside of the dome and redrilled for the bolts. They were still a bit too sunk in for my tastes, so I then took a couple of lock spacers, stretched them out to form a "C" around the square base, and cranked down on the lock washers while putting them in place. The bottom of the bolt now is flush with the outer dome.

I also painted the inside added pieces of aluminum and the spacers black to hide that the bolts "float" above the inserted pieces. I think the effect works nicely.

They may still stick out more compared to others, but I like the look.

Mike

22. Trooper TK409

Trooper TK409 Well-Known Member

I really like the darker blue - ANH was always my favorite and it looks to me like you matched it perfectly. I'm working with a friend on an R2 now so your tips are helpful.
    Keep us posted.

23. TK1536

TK1536 Sr Member

Hey Mike, welcome to the RPF.

Mike Marosy also has a really good Indiana Jones outfit.

Here we are a few years ago...

[​IMG]

24. GundamZeppelin

GundamZeppelin Sr Member

Great work i love seening someone take on R2 i myself am to lazy :( maybe i will just buy one....oneday :thumbsup :thumbsup

25. TK9120

TK9120 Sr Member

Great job on that dome Mike. Would a clear coat from a can give look the same? I thought clear coating aluminum made it look like it was aluminum spray paint. Which doesn't really look like aluminum.

26. kell

kell Well-Known Member

That paint looks perfect on your dome. keep updates coming ...

27. IndyMike

IndyMike New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(TK9120 @ Jul 13 2006, 03:32 PM) [snapback]1280147[/snapback]</div>

I'm not sure if clear coat from a can would react the same or not. My advice would be to test it on a scrap piece first. I tried mine out on a piece from the front arms from the skins I have.

If I have a decent sunny day this weekend, I'll post new pics with the clear on.

28. amigaman

amigaman New Member

Looks Great but where is the rest of the droid?

<div class='quotetop'>(mmarosy @ Jul 6 2006, 03:59 PM) [snapback]1275368[/snapback]</div>

29. KarlBud420

KarlBud420 Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(amigaman @ Jul 27 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]1289082[/snapback]</div>
    Patience is key with the homemade R2. There are people who have been working on theirs for years. It seems like one of the hardest things to do is actually acquire all of the pieces as most of the major components are done in small batches at irregular intervals.

My hat is off to anyone who undertakes that project.

Yours looks like a winner Mike.

Bruce

30. OldKen

OldKen Master Member

holy god that avatar is hillarious karlbud420. (though i have no idea as to what your name reefers to?)

sorry to derail, but i LOLed.

oh and yeah, cant wait to see some more pics of this thing, i really do love that blue.

B)

31. bleyd

bleyd Sr Member

Great dome. Makes me want to work on mine. Once I get all the parts I'll work on it. I have aluminum fever and that's NEVER cheap.

32. IndyMike

IndyMike New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(amigaman @ Jul 27 2006, 06:16 PM) [snapback]1289082[/snapback]</div>
    The frame is built, but not glued and I'm about ready to start gluing together the skins. Legs are still in boxes and the feet shells are off getting welded. Other various parts are painted and waiting for other sections to get done and some parts are still on the horizon for ordering.

As stated, it's tough to get some of the parts as you're reliant on when runs get done, but I've gotten most of the major things needed.

I've gotten the front LEDs and the red/blue and green/yellow PSIs in and am waiting for a day when I can get shots about the same time to compare.

Thanks for all the compliments, it's really helping in keeping me motivated to do more.

Mike

33. amigaman

amigaman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(mmarosy @ Aug 2 2006, 03:49 PM) [snapback]1292584[/snapback]</div>
    The frame is built, but not glued and I'm about ready to start gluing together the skins. Legs are still in boxes and the feet shells are off getting welded. Other various parts are painted and waiting for other sections to get done and some parts are still on the horizon for ordering.

As stated, it's tough to get some of the parts as you're reliant on when runs get done, but I've gotten most of the major things needed.

I've gotten the front LEDs and the red/blue and green/yellow PSIs in and am waiting for a day when I can get shots about the same time to compare.

Thanks for all the compliments, it's really helping in keeping me motivated to do more.

Mike
    [/b][/quote]

Awsome looking dome..

Andy
    R7 Dude

34. IndyMike

IndyMike New Member

At long last... and during a brief break at work, I'm able to upload pics of further progress on my dome. These show the dome after clearcoating and with the electronics, main eye and holo projectors in place. I still have to get the LEDs for the rear of the dome, but the frame is now in for them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Believe it or not, this is the same blue as before. Just goes to show how it can look lighter in a setting with more direct light. I really think I did well picking the right blue.

And here are some preliminary pics of my inner skin getting prepped for mounting on my A&A frame. Since these pics were taken, I've glued on the outer skins everywhere except the back door. I hope to complete the skins this weekend.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

35. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is drooltastic.

Is that a real camera lens for the eye? What are you up to? ;)

36. Darth Kahnt

Darth Kahnt Sr Member

Fantastic.... an amazing display of talent.

37. gonk27

gonk27 Sr Member

Your R2 work looks terrific mmarosy. I'm sure even Lucas would give that a "Fabuloso".

<div class='quotetop'>(KarlBud420 @ Jul 27 2006, 11:03 PM) [snapback]1289114[/snapback]</div>
    Absolutely right Karlbud, some (like me) spend far more years building their R2s than is good for them. :$

Jeremy

38. IndyMike

IndyMike New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Treadwell @ Sep 15 2006, 03:41 PM) [snapback]1320922[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, bought off of another R2 builder for only $17. :eek It really causes a great "his eye is following me around the room" affect.

...and I too am one of those who has been spending years on this little guy.

Thanks for the compliments.

39. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

That's brilliant Mike, it looks really great. :thumbsup

40. amigaman

amigaman New Member

Sweet looking frame.. :)

<div class='quotetop'>(mmarosy @ Sep 15 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]1320906[/snapback]</div>

41. amigaman

amigaman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(mmarosy @ Sep 15 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]1320954[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, bought off of another R2 builder for only $17. :eek It really causes a great "his eye is following me around the room" affect.

...and I too am one of those who has been spending years on this little guy.

Thanks for the compliments.
    [/b][/quote]

What are the dinensions of that lense?

Andy

42. WebChief

WebChief Sr Member

What kind of glue did you use to attach the skins to the AA frame? I've got the same frame and skins and was curious how to attach them.

43. kdawg1

kdawg1 Sr Member

Where did you get the info for cutting your dome panles out?

44. IndyMike

IndyMike New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(WebChief @ Nov 6 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]1351838[/snapback]</div>
    I first screwed in the inner skin to the frame itself, then used windsheild glue to attache the outer skin to the inner. Its great to work with. Really adheres well and pretty easy to cut/clean up. I need to get some pics up of the attached skins.

<div class='quotetop'>(kdawg1 @ Nov 6 2006, 11:37 AM) [snapback]1351855[/snapback]</div>
    I bought a R&J Dome from the R2 Builders Group. The panels were pre-cut on the outer dome. Ony cuting I had to do was on the inner dome where electronics came through and for the main eye.