R2 Dome progress pics

IndyMike

I finally feel like I'm starting to make progress on my R2, so I thought I'd share what he looked like as of Tuesday. I'm going for an ANH R2, thus the darker blue panels.

The first paint job I did was too light and of course I'd already glued them in place. So after a LOT of taping and second paint job, I think I got a pretty decent color for ANH. I used my brother's car paint chips and to match samples and pics I've collected. The paint is pretty cool, IMO. It looks blue in certain lights, has a purple hue in others and can look almost black in other situations.

it looks like this:

dome01.jpg

dome02.jpg

dome03.jpg

dome04.jpg

Last night, it was clearcoated (to stop the aluminum from oxidizing and showing smudges from working on it), and also painted the holo projector surrounds. After letting the clearcoat cure, I started gluing in the surrounds. It's really starting to look like the little 'garbage can' now. I'll have to take pics next clear day we have and post the updated version.

Mike

its hard to tell if the blue is ANH accurate, as how the camera captures it, but looks and sounds gorgeous to me.

great work so far... :D

Good job there, Bro.
From the reflections, I'd say you've got a great finish on R2.
What colour, Rover tahiti blue or similar?
I'm having to re-do dome stuck panels myself, so I know what a nightmare that can be.
Keep up the good work,
Andy

<div class='quotetop'>(mmarosy @ Jul 6 2006, 07:59 PM) [snapback]1275368[/snapback]</div>
I finally feel like I'm starting to make progress on my R2, so I thought I'd share what he looked like as of Tuesday. I'm going for an ANH R2, thus the darker blue panels.

It looks blue in certain lights, has a purple hue in others and can look almost black in other situations.

[/b]

Exactly as R2 should be...

I have a fiberglass dome I need to complete and would likewise be interested in your paint colors...

I'll chime in with interest in the Blue colour as well.

I thought about Car paint, saw a CR-V that had a blue that appeared to do the trick with the purple and black appearance as well. I think it was Royal Blue Pearl according to Honda.

Looks good.

I like the ANH blue best and I don't like the blue used in I, II, III.

I painted mine Mini Cooper Blue that was offered in 03 and 04. I think they lightened the color in 05.

I've been happy with the results.

<div class='quotetop'>(Stormy320 @ Jul 7 2006, 04:05 AM) [snapback]1275682[/snapback]</div>
Looks good.

I like the ANH blue best and I don't like the blue used in I, II, III.

I painted mine Mini Cooper Blue that was offered in 03 and 04. I think they lightened the color in 05.

I've been happy with the results.
[/b]

Was JUST going to say, I saw a Cooper in a blue that looked just right....

The blue is actually from Color Max auto paint chip. I meant to write down the chip number this morning, but forgot in the rush to get the kids up and out. I'll get it tonight. (It's written on the tape covering Kenny's signature on the inside of the dome.)

The pics shown here have the blue with clear coat and bare aluminum dome. I kept having smudges and scuffs (from working on it) coming out on the dome, so Wednesday, we cleaned it up and clearcoated the whole thing to prevent oxidization. It all really shines now, but scuffs and stuff still show through, so it still has character. Just the smudges won't appear any more.

I've since added the HPs and the main eye. I'll try to take more pics on Saturday. He's really coming together now and looking like he should.

I'll post the chip numbers tonight.

Thanks for all the compliements.

Mike

Very nice. Tell us where you got the dome? How much for a like one? Did you have to dremel the panel lines or was that already done to it?

The dome is an R&J Dome (a builder on the R2 Builders message board). It comes in 3 pieces. An inner and outer dome and the ring. The outer dome is laser cut, so you have to trim out the panels and glue them in place. You also glue the ring on. I had to drill out holes in the inner dome for the main eye, logic displays and holo projectors. I also sanded the heck out of the area you see through the blue 'frame' around the side of the dome to get it to shine. I left the rest of the dome roughed out to help glue adhere.

For gluing the the dome pieces, I used a JB weld from my brother's auto shop and for the panels, and greebles on the dome, I acutally used windshield glue. That stuff isn't going anywhere.

The main eye is screwed in and the two buttons are actually carriage bolts painted. Had to go to an Ace Hardware to get a set that didn't have writing on the head of the bolt.

Mike

Looks great :thumbsup , mine however is not so great :thumbsdown . I really should work on the dome, but i've been side tracked by the skins of the droid for a while now.

Chris

Looks good :thumbsup, I'm about to start to paint the panels myself & I have not yet decided on auto body paint or the old Krider spray paint effect :confused

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back