R2-D2 bin build

I am very impressed with this! This is a project I've been wanting to do for ages. You have shown us that it can be easily accomplished. Thanks for your hard work!

Well, my daughter adored R2 and everyone who's seen him has been really impressed. :)

I've had a few PM's asking exactly what materials I used and how I went about making it.

Firstly, I used a small bullet pedal bin - Bullet Bin - White - 3L from Homebase.co.uk For those in the UK, Asda sell them at £6.99 so don't waste your money getting them from Homebase.

I started off by masking the dome with tape and then drawing on the panels. I cut them out and then sprayed it with automotive spray paint. Some of the paint lifted when I removed the masking tape but that could probably be dealt with by sanding the dome better and using a primer to give a better key for the paint. I just sprayed some of the paint into a pot and then used a brush to touch up the mistakes. I painted the details like the eye and the sensors with Citadel paints. I can't remember the exact colours as they were just old pots I had hanging around. Finally I drew on the lines at the back with a blue Sharpie. The little silver sensor is just the lid from a bottle of Coke Zero painted silver and stuck on with double-sided tape.

The legs were made from 4mm ply. I drew out the basic shape on paper and used it as a template to cut out eight copies of the legs. I then stuck them all together (four for each leg) using wood glue and once that was dry, sanded the whole thing to the final shape. I sealed the wood with white emulsion paint and then sprayed them white. The blue section was masked off and sprayed and the details painted on with Citadel paints. Final details were drawn on with Sharpie.

I masked off the front of the body, cut out the large blue sections and sprayed them. The smaller blue and silver sections were painted again with Citadel paints. The panels were drawn on with pencil to get the positions and sizes right and then traced over with Sharpie.

Finally the legs were stuck on with heavy duty double sided tape. They should be fine as the bin won't be moved around much but if they do fall off it won't be too much hassle to put a screw or two in to hold them in place.

I think that about covers it all. If I've missed anything or you need something explaining further, feel free to ask.

That, is fantastic! I love it.

I've just gotta have a go at making one for my kids bedroom. It'll go perfectly with the boy's Cody and Rex costumes, and our not quite two year old Leia.

If anyone here in the States decides to tackle this, definitely post the brand of waste bin you'll be using. I will be sure to do the same!

If anyone finds this bind, or something similar state side, please post. ASDA will not ship overseas. :facepalm I thought maybe doing the same design only using cut vinyl instead of paint.

For the legs, did you use wood or a pvc type material?

Amazing build, Ive always thought about doing an R2-D2 and fitting a mini fridge inside him, but a bin is a much better idea! Good stuff.

Hi Mole

I just finished an R2 bin (pics on Firefek's SW files thread)
Would love to see yours but your pics are missing.
Can you repost?

Ah, the downside of hotlinking from Facebook. ;)

I've only got a couple of the finished project to hand. If you need the build pics let me know and I'll dig them out.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back