Questions about sculpting and hardening foam.

Rogue428

Hey guys and gals,

A friend of mine has just finishing purchasing a house with an unfinished basement. Upon seeing my basement, and home theater get up, he really wants to go overboard on his.

I'll cut right to the chase...

He is a massive superman fan and has quite the collection. He wants to deck out his home theater so that it looks similar to the Fortress of Solitude. I told him it could be done, by just sculpting some large foam blocks into the fortress crystal patterns and then mounting them on a wall. I also remember seeing some kind of coating you can put on the foam to make it harder (I think I saw this on Monster House or something).

Two main questions for you folks.

1. Where can I get large foam blocks to sculpt (or I suspect it would be cheaper to just make the foam in trash cans or something and sculpt from there), or what kind of foam would be most suited to this kind of venture.

2. Is there such a substance that we can put over the foam to "harden" it and give it some staying power. (I'm suspecting that fiberglass might be the best option, but that would be a lot of fiberglass by hand).

Thanks in advance.

Mike

not to mention fiberglass, as well as making GIGANTIC scaled objects that look damned good :D

he would be my first shot as well. please keep me in the loop though. i have an idea percalatin' in mah noggin, and i think itll look kinda nifty :)

chris

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back