Questions about how to spread bondo

detale78

I am trying to reinforce cardboard wrapped in plaster bandages with bondo. I was wondering if it is safe to use bondo with your hands instead of spreading it on with a spatula which I am having a hard time doing due to its thick consistency and quick drying time. The stuff smells awful so I use my respirator so I am thinking that it is not safe to put on ones skin any easier method of applying it??

the drying agent, (the small tube) dont put as much on it, it will give you more time to work it. as for any chemical, i would not trust to use bare hands with it. use smaller satula and do a little at a time... have you tried fiberglass??? it can be aplied with a paint brush. few layers of it would do the job...it can be sanded and painted too... its just smells as bad as bondo. use it in a well ventilated area,outside of house is the best...

the drying agent, (the small tube) dont put as much on it, it will give you more time to work it. as for any chemical, i would not trust to use bare hands with it. use smaller satula and do a little at a time... have you tried fiberglass??? it can be aplied with a paint brush. few layers of it would do the job...it can be sanded and painted too... its just smells as bad as bondo. use it in a well ventilated area,outside of house is the best...

I have never used Fiberglass but it seems like a better idea. Do you have to reinforce the fiberglass with the mat? Doesn't Bondo make a fiberglass solution?

I would recommend you try a product called Jesmonite. It's a water based latex polymer that is a safe and non-smelly alternative to resin. It can be reinforced with thin tissue and quadraxial glass which is safer to handle than fibreglass although it can also be used. If you used the Jesmonite/tissue from the start you could have omitted the plaster bandage stage and also saved on the weight.

I would recommend you try a product called Jesmonite. It's a water based latex polymer that is a safe and non-smelly alternative to resin. It can be reinforced with thin tissue and quadraxial glass which is safer to handle than fibreglass although it can also be used. If you used the Jesmonite/tissue from the start you could have omitted the plaster bandage stage and also saved on the weight.

Thanks for this information I'll look into it

Thanks for this information I'll look into it

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back