Question about Nostromo shoes

Schlegel

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I want to start a Nostromo crew costume from The ground up and am starting with a pair of PF Flyers. My question is, must they be canvas, or is leather acceptable. I ask because the pair i can find with the most pronounced "toe ridges" in my size is white leather. Second, do you find they run small at all or are they true to size?

Many thanks for any help, I have really been enjoying the forum, I only recently found it when i decided to work on costumes on account of the pandemic confinement.

PF Flyers are true to size...and they should be canvas. That being said, I don't see why a leather pair couldn't cut it ;) If you make the necessary transformations, I'm sure they'll look good. (y)

These guys... i figured under a coat of paint the looks of leather and canvas really start to converge. I can get canvas but the ridging on front seems "less" to me and I feel like it's really critical to the space boot look.

Attachments

• Pf flyers leather.jpg
    Pf flyers leather.jpg
    656.1 KB · Views: 110
It occurs to me that if I dirty up the crevices it will accentuate the texture. Probably authentic looking, too. I don't think anybody had swabbed the lower decks those last couple of years. I'll get some canvas ones.
Maybe I'll do both.... leather would be good for cold and damp weather.

Not yet... waiting on the big uniform shirt project and return of conventions to renew my enthusiasm. Still definitely going to do it, just working on SHIELD stuff right now.

I’m planning a pair as well, and I was wondering if anyone had good luck with colors other than white.

I’m having trouble finding my size in while (11.5 US Men’s) but red ones I do find, and those have the same color bands on the sole edges (red and blue) as the white ones.

I was thinking a bleach bath and then using B-I-N primer under white paint would do it but maybe not… I also have access to nitric acid which I could use instead of bleach.

Looking to benefit front the experience of others.

You might manage if you treat it like painting a wall and do gray first then white...worth a shot if you have cheap enough shoes to try it...

That’s what I was thinking. That primer is pretty tenacious and would probably penetrate the fibers well. I guess I have to try it, unless white ones pop up.

The primer is white too!

may only need two coats of primer!
I don`t know if you`re going to be able to cover the red...usually, any strong color will be covered by either a silver or grey color. Then the final color on top ;)

Maybe not (always have to test) but the stuff sticks to glass and it is designed to cover stains (and bold colors) when redecorating.

It's about $50 a gallon but I need some for a bathroom anyway...

I’m planning a pair as well, and I was wondering if anyone had good luck with colors other than white.

I’m having trouble finding my size in while (11.5 US Men’s) but red ones I do find, and those have the same color bands on the sole edges (red and blue) as the white ones.
I'm also US11.5 - 12, so sizing is always a hassle for shoes [finding Bug Stompers in my size sucked too].

I ended up going with PF Flyers Center Hi in a Natural colour, and then using TRG Eazydye Shoe Color in white (it's for colour changing leather shoes, but that's what was recommended for my canvas Flyers by a local craft store here). They've turned out pretty well.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back