Question about lukes light saber construtable tool

steven giunta

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this,But does anybody have any clear pictures of the tool luke skywalker is using when he is building his light saber in the return of the Jedi deleted scene?any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry no clear pictures ... however I always assumed is was a kind of vintage calipers or drafting compass but I 'm not quite certain ... yet :unsure

Chaim

Sorry no clear pictures ... however I always assumed is was a kind of vintage calipers or drafting compass but I 'm not quite certain ... yet :unsure

Chaim
There is a hasbro figure that comes with the tool but I have no idea how accurate it is.it doesn't look accurate but I could be wrong.

I'll second the calipers or compass. All we have is that scene but that definitely what it looks like to me.

I haven't watched that scene in a while but it looked like a gold, double ended flat fork to me. I know it isn't, but that's what it looks like.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421794465.760036.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421794483.657503.jpg

I agree; it looks like a caliper compass, but it's unlike a normal vintage caliper.

Roy

www.wannawanga.com

Thanks Roy for posting those pictures ... it's a strange pair of calipers indeed ... if that is what we see?

Any thoughts James what you think it could be? And was this scene a pick-up shot or was it shot during production and if so where? That might give us a clue of the origin being USA or UK based perhaps.

Chaim

I heard somewhere on here that the shot with R2 and C-3PO was done in tunisia, but this shot of Luke inside a cave was done in America. I think.

Eh..I'm not so sure about that. the top of this tool doesn't look symmetrical. There's definitely a knob on the side, with the tool "closed" but the top looks like it has a two heights of detail or something.

Some more screengrabs:

Quality isn't as good as I wish...

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

I think it could be something like "vintage mechanical tongs"

google it, I'm pretty sure that this is very near the real thing. Some push button on one end and two or three grasper/claws on the other end.

$_12.JPG

Ok, not still sure yet. Maybe or maybe not :lol
The map divider is a nice guess, too. I'm not sure what the pictures look like.
I think the end looks like claws but the upper part looks like two metal arms with a map divider head. Maybe there are no metal arms, maybe metal tubes? :confused
I thought it was a good guess...

Last edited:
The tool is basically a Drafting Compass, or Engineers Compass
kind of like this.....EngineerCompass70468.jpg....or this.....il_570xN.366003995_4035.jpg

But Lukes seems to have a bobbly bit on the top screw adjuster.....kind of like this....18th_c___brass_french_bow_compass___drawing_drafting_instrument_tool_1_lgw.jpg

Rich

As is so many times the case with props ... some parts we can't identify may have been added onto the prop ... lateron we call them greeblies. I just searched on ebay for vintage compass and found this one :

Check out the smaller high-lighted part in the box ... it's possible it could be added on top of the compass on the far right ... thus extending the appearance of the prop ;) Here's another example :

The search for the correct compass or look-a-like compass prop continues . . .

Chaim

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back