Quentin Tarantino - Still got it or lost it?

CB2001

Master Member
I wanted to take a moment to talk about a film director we all know of in this day and age. I want to talk about Quentin Tarantino. Everyone here has their own points of view about Tarantino and his body of work, as I'm sure there is at least one or two Tarantino films that people love. For me, I find all of his work enjoyable, from Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, to his half of the Grindhouse experience Death Proof and Inglourious Basterds. My dad is also a film watcher like me, but he feels that Tarantino lost his touch with being a good filmmaker with Kill Bill (he loves Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown). Right now, I'm watching Pulp Fiction as I'm writing this, which is why I'm asking the following question.

So, my question to you all is this: Does Tarantino still got it as a filmmaker? Or has he completely lost his edge? If so or not, why do you feel that way? What film was it that made you feel that way?

Please keep in mind, that I want to keep this discussion as open-minded as possible and respectful. If you don't agree with someone, don't be disrespectful to them. So, let the discussion begin.

Last edited:
I think he still has it. He's always put out a film that was different from most of the crap that comes out these days.

Reservoir dogs is and always will be my favorite Tarantino flick.

The thing about kill bill is that he was trying something different. He was taking his influence from Japanese cinema to make his own film. You can't fault him for wanting to try something new.

He can keep making films and I will see each and every one of them.

I think Inglorious Basterds was the best flick he's done since Resevoir Dogs. But, I also think that just about everything he's done in between those two films has been subpar. Jackie Brown was decent, but I still don't understand the appeal of Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill.

Sure, he still works as a film maker. He just hasn't been a very good one as of late. But the one point that really irks me is his comments regarding film composers. It's just not cool to think that you're surrendering your film to a film composer when he uses other people's music work to fill in his films.

Still got it.

Tarantino's only about halfway through his career. Can you name a single director, with such a large oeuvre, that nailed it every single time? John Ford, Orson Welles, Hitchcock, Kurosawa, David Lean (arguably), Steven Spielberg, George Stevens, Scorsese, the list goes on all had movies that "weren't as good" as something else they're famous for and if you start your career with Reservoir Dogs and follow up with Pulp Fiction you've set an extremely high bar for yourself.

Personally I loved Kill Bill and Inglourious Basterds though I know a lot of people didn't. Assuming he doesn't retire he's got another 25 years or more ahead of him and those could be some amazing movies.

Jackie Brown was decent, but I still don't understand the appeal of Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill.

Well, I can say that what I like about them was primarily the characters. There's just something about the characters and the story. When it came to Pulp Fiction and the stories that were covered, the characters (no matter who they were) were very interesting enough to allow for you to hang in there with them for whatever they go through. For Kill Bill, again, it was the characters the drew me in. I can't tell you how many times I've read in other places about how interesting someone found the characters to be, particularly Bill with the charm he has (which is understandable about how he was able to draw the girls into his group).

dcarty makes a great point about any director having ups and downs in their career. Many directors will never have the high points in their career like Tarantino.
I don't like everything Tarantino has done but feel his intention is to make fun and thrilling films. I guy the guy a lot of credit for having passion in what currently feels like a remake happy, blockbuster oriented, lackluster industry.

For what it's worth I'll give me Tarantino film experiences.

Four Rooms segment - liked it, no complaints. It fit with the overall wackiness of the film.
Reservoir Dogs - a damned perfect "heist gone wrong" film.
Pulp Fiction- excellent
Jackie Brown - very good.
Kill Bill vol I & II - just o.k., I found it a bit long and indulgent. I could take it or leave it.
Grindhouse/Death Proof - Awful. What a waste of Kurt Russell
Inglorious Basterds - Loved it. Basterds is in the class of great WWII action films made when our dads were young.

I think Death Proof was his eorst movie to date, I thought it was boring and dull. Inglorious Basterds was great tho. I recently read the script for Django Unchained and had a great time. If he does it well this can easily be one of his best!

I hate Kill Bill, what a POS. He should have taken that point in time to do the Vega Brothers movie. Now its past possible considering the age and physical appearance of everyone involved. Like everything in pop culture, it has a high peak and then it fades off. He peaked in the 90's and sadly went off and did Kill Bill. Id like to have the old Tarantino back but dont think it will happen. Inglorious Basterds wasnt very good either to the point I could barely sit through it. What I did like about Death Proof is the fact they did the car stunts as opposed to doing CGI and all process trailer.

Dogs, Pulp, and I know he didn't direct but True Romance.

I saw Dogs first day and five minutes in I knew it would be great, dragged everyone I knew to see it.

He had a small little 'verse going on there with these films somewhat connected.

Then he flipped out later with weird unrealistic whacko stuff I wouldnt go near with a ten foot pole.

Though I haven't seen Jackie Brown yet, should but I guess I had tuned out by the time that came out.

I sit there and wonder.. WTF is wrong with this guy?

Where the hell is a film about Jules wandering the earth????

Of course now he would put ninja, nazi or vampires in it or some fool thing.

Death Proof is great as long as Kurt Russell is on screen. The rest of the movie was just an edgier Sex and the City

Of the movies I've seen, I love his work and think he is getting better as time goes on. Inglourious Basterds is outstanding, one of the best WWII movies ever.

If Inglorious Bastards had been a 90 minute film, it would have been a classic. As it stands, it is massively over drawn and drags like hell. That said, Chistoph Waltz put in one of the best performances in any film that I have seen in the last few years.

The thing about Death Proof -- and he alludes to this in the film itself -- is that it's trying to recreate certain films from the 1970s, namely car-based chase films. Vanishing Point, Race with the Devil, Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, etc. All those films are similar to Death Proof in that they're very much a slow burn and don't REALLY get going or get action-packed until the last few minutes of the film.

I actually enjoy that it takes a while to get going, and I appreciate how Kurt Russel's character comes across as this initially really likeable guy who turns out to be a f---ing psycho.

That said, I can see where a lot of people would look at it and just find it boring, ESPECIALLY as it follows Planet Terror which is very action-packed and explosive.

I like him. He definitely still has it. Not every director hits a homerun (Even Spielberg has had some bad films).

He is different, inventive and stylized.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back