Quantum Mechanix - Guardians of the Galaxy Milano

No, they didn't. And they ignored all questions regarding it. I started modeling my own but haven't had time to work on if for a few months. It's going to be one of those loooooong projects.

I hate when companies advertise their models and don't release them. Beast Kingdom had a U-Wing that supposedly only a handful ever got made with subpar paint jobs etc.

No, they didn't. And they ignored all questions regarding it. I started modeling my own but haven't had time to work on if for a few months. It's going to be one of those loooooong projects.

IA made the Milano. They had a few. Not sure how many. I had one. It was massive. I loved it but couldn't justify the space. Also the paintjob was very bland. I ended up selling it

IA made the Milano. They had a few. Not sure how many. I had one. It was massive. I loved it but couldn't justify the space. Also the paintjob was very bland. I ended up selling it
Do you happen to know how I can get a hold of one? I’ve been searching for months. Thanks

Do you happen to know how I can get a hold of one? I’ve been searching for months. Thanks
I’ve been looking too, but they are super rare it seems. Very few made it out of Asia. I think the run was 300 total, with many of them not getting released, like the one I had on order.

Lots of reports that IA took money from distributors and ran. IA were impossible to get hold of, then seem to have merged with ”Toys n Toys”.

I will probably build one myself. It’s a beast to model though. And I suck at panel lines on curved surfaces!

I’ve been looking too, but they are super rare it seems. Very few made it out of Asia. I think the run was 300 total, with many of them not getting released, like the one I had on order.

Lots of reports that IA took money from distributors and ran. IA were impossible to get hold of, then seem to have merged with ”Toys n Toys”.

I will probably build one myself. It’s a beast to model though. And I suck at panel lines on curved surfaces!

Thank you for the info. I guess either I get lucky and find someone willing to sell one of the few made or someone who will make me one. Fingers crossed!

sorry I missed this. Nope . They were really rare. I only know of 3 including mine that made it into the wild. Apparently they weren't supposed to release them due to some licensing issues. So I heard anyway. I really liked it for a few days and then decided to sell it. I simply couldn't deal with the crappy paint job and lack of detail in the cockpit . Especially after seeing the QMX and what is possible. That being said, I hope Joatrash takes on this project.

That being said, I hope Joatrash takes on this project.
I still plan to, eventually. Maybe this fall/winter! I have a set of the 28mm miniatures from the (now canceled) Marvel Miniatures game, as well as a complete set of Heroclix figures, so I was thinking of maybe making it in scale to those.

I still plan to, eventually. Maybe this fall/winter! I have a set of the 28mm miniatures from the (now canceled) Marvel Miniatures game, as well as a complete set of Heroclix figures, so I was thinking of maybe making it in scale to those.

There is a new miniatures tabletop game that just released within the last year called Marvel Crisis Protocol

They just announced some X-Men stuff recently

There is also this

There is a new miniatures tabletop game that just released within the last year called Marvel Crisis Protocol

They just announced some X-Men stuff recently

There is also this

Aha... cool! Didn't know about the new game. Looks based off the comic! (The Knightmodels game had minis based off the movies. Well, except for Drax's tattoos, but those can be painted on! Groot was sold separately.)

1600620613309.png

The Heroclix figures are, sadly, atrociously soft on detail. Everything has to be "painted on".
1600620845386.png

That Mialno model might be worth looking into- at least if the details are right. Normally, I pride myself on modeling everything myself but the Milano is a freakin' beast of a model because it has so many curved surfaces with panel lines.

But that model is a "personal use" file only. So, I couldn't do a "run" using it. If someone wanted me to print it, they would first have to purchase the model so the maker gets their fair share, then ask me to print and I could only charge for material use/machine wear.

And I've just looked through the images of the parts. Hmm... it hasn't really been optimized for printing in a large scale. The main hull sections are "solid". Prepping it to realistically print at a large scale would take a lot of work. (In the end, it might be easier for me to model from scratch.)

My plan (and I probably mentioned this earlier) was to model it so that the interior frame would be printed in PLA, and the outer details... panels.. greeblies and so on are printed in resin. That way, costs would be kept down.

Aha... cool! Didn't know about the new game. Looks based off the comic! (The Knightmodels game had minis based off the movies. Well, except for Drax's tattoos, but those can be painted on! Groot was sold separately.)

View attachment 1350767

The Heroclix figures are, sadly, atrociously soft on detail. Everything has to be "painted on".
View attachment 1350773

That Mialno model might be worth looking into- at least if the details are right. Normally, I pride myself on modeling everything myself but the Milano is a freakin' beast of a model because it has so many curved surfaces with panel lines.

But that model is a "personal use" file only. So, I couldn't do a "run" using it. If someone wanted me to print it, they would first have to purchase the model so the maker gets their fair share, then ask me to print and I could only charge for material use/machine wear.

And I've just looked through the images of the parts. Hmm... it hasn't really been optimized for printing in a large scale. The main hull sections are "solid". Prepping it to realistically print at a large scale would take a lot of work. (In the end, it might be easier for me to model from scratch.)

My plan (and I probably mentioned this earlier) was to model it so that the interior frame would be printed in PLA, and the outer details... panels.. greeblies and so on are printed in resin. That way, costs would be kept down.

I have been working on the Gambody model, (they even used my pic on their site without my permission) and while it is good, there are some details that need to be adjusted to make it more accurate, but just printing as is will make a very nice model.
The files itself need some work to use as much resin, and that they can be hollowed for more easy and cheaper printing.
I had to clean up a lot of parts and make the main hull a solid, so I could hollow it. and you should watch out for hollow spaces where resin gets trapped (in the FDM end Resin version)

The cockpit could to with some more details, the smaller winglets and thrusters are mounted with not enough detail., the main engines lacks detail,
and some details are just too big, and not in scale but for easy printing.

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1268.jpg

The files itself need some work to use as much resin, and that they can be hollowed for more easy and cheaper printing.
It looks like a good model at the size you're building it. You're making nice work of it so far!

My plan is to have a model with maybe a 2-3 foot wing span, like the Imaginarium Arts model. The Gambody model isn't suited to that without a major reworking. For one, the resin usage would be staggering (even hollowed out) but it would also be heavy, and structurally weak. And from you wrote... if you had to do work to make it viable to print at the scale you're doing it, it might very well be easier to just do it from scratch for a large-scale model.

It looks like a good model at the size you're building it. You're making nice work of it so far!

My plan is to have a model with maybe a 2-3 foot wing span, like the Imaginarium Arts model. The Gambody model isn't suited to that without a major reworking. For one, the resin usage would be staggering (even hollowed out) but it would also be heavy, and structurally weak. And from you wrote... if you had to do work to make it viable to print at the scale you're doing it, it might very well be easier to just do it from scratch for a large-scale model.

The biggest problem is like with a lot of files that can be bought, is the lack of big solids, that can be hollowed to a desired wall thickness,
you get a lot of parts and details are just put together and not bolean-ed (is that a word) to a solid, and when hollowing, you create all kinds of small chambers where resin gets trapped and is too small to have a drainage hole.

I enlarged the files so the biggest part to fit my resin printer, and it cam to around 1:72, and at that size, some details look a bit more chunky than they should be.
but as the files go, they are a great starting point to make a big, and more accurate Milano.

The biggest problem is like with a lot of files that can be bought, is the lack of big solids, that can be hollowed to a desired wall thickness,
... but as the files go, they are a great starting point to make a big, and more accurate Milano.
Do mean that the files are not watertight/manifold? (Lots of intersecting geometry, parts stuck inside of parts...)

I've found that most of the time, it's easier to just start from scratch than rework someone else's model if heavy changes are needed. For the Milano, I'd want to make an interior "armature" or frame that is very durable, able to be mounted in several locations, and use resin prints to "skin" it. Sure, you could maybe cut out all the individual panels from this model, but since STLs are triangulated, instead of still being in quads as a "work-file" would be, it's going to be messy. Tweaking something, like the bunge on a wing, would be extremely difficult. And then you find halfway in that something you were planning to do means a major re-work of something anyway, because it can come down to different approaches on how to do things from the start. (You can tell I really hate cleaning up other folks' messes, both privately and professionally, haha.)

Do mean that the files are not watertight/manifold? (Lots of intersecting geometry, parts stuck inside of parts...)

I've found that most of the time, it's easier to just start from scratch than rework someone else's model if heavy changes are needed. For the Milano, I'd want to make an interior "armature" or frame that is very durable, able to be mounted in several locations, and use resin prints to "skin" it. Sure, you could maybe cut out all the individual panels from this model, but since STLs are triangulated, instead of still being in quads as a "work-file" would be, it's going to be messy. Tweaking something, like the bunge on a wing, would be extremely difficult. And then you find halfway in that something you were planning to do means a major re-work of something anyway, because it can come down to different approaches on how to do things from the start. (You can tell I really hate cleaning up other folks' messes, both privately and professionally, haha.)

The parts are watertight, but sometimes certain details are attached to the part, and not used bolean to make it part of the object, and turn it into a big solid.
A slicer like ChituBox can handle these kinds of files without problems, as long as you do not hollow it, then it will hollow all the individual parts attached to each other and create a lot of hollow chambers.

I did choose to clean up parts so I could hollow them and make them a bit more accurate, and yes it is pain/lot of work to do, but for me it is also a bit of learning to work with STL files, as I do a lot of 3D scanning, and then sometimes you need to turn that into a workable 3D model.

I am also working on a large Robocop Cain model, great detail but it is even worse, every single part is not made into a solid when details were added to a main part :/

The parts are watertight, but sometimes certain details are attached to the part, and not used bolean to make it part of the object, and turn it into a big solid.
OK, so they're not manifold. Details are separate meshes unto themselves. The slicers I use don't have issues with those kinds of parts, but I make it a rule to not have meshes intersect if at all possible. (It's only the last couple of years that bolean ops have been getting more reliable. In the past, using a bolean to unionize two meshes often resulted in lots of errors that needed cleaning up. Boleans have generally been more useful as cutting tools. Nowadays you get real-time boleans of course. (I know Zbrush, for example, was a bit ahead of the curve with some of these things, but for the models I do, it's not optimal, so I never really got into it.)

I've worked with a few scans... and in general, I tend to only use them as a "tracing guide" and build a new mesh over it.

Just got myself a set of Milano files 3D printed coincidentally . Not as large but good enough. Resin prints tend to warp in my climate so bigger is not always better. Just deciding if I can be bothered to light it up or leave it unlit. Most model lighting never gets used enough.

Now things are getting interesting. Been wanting a good Milano model for years now and this is the first printable version with any sort of real detail i've come across. Just another thing to toss on the list of projects yet to be finished...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back