Q: Prepping a totokia for a gaffi stick

I know of the instructions on Forttsuken's page about installing a mace end into a totokia.

But if I remember correctly, long ago, someone had shared shared pics of their finished gaffi stick. In the conversion, I thought they had sanded it all down and applied a stain to lighten up the look of the totokia. Is my memory correct?

Does anyone remember this?

If so, how difficult do you think it would be to sand down the finish on that vesi wood? Anyone have any other tips on sanding or prepping? I know that pineapple end is going to be a pain to do anything with. And what type of stain would recommend to get a lighter color?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Also, if anyone would like to share their completed gaffis, I'd love to see pics.

sorry, i got mine all finished. mine is the original dark, dark color. but, over time, the finish lightens up a bit from being handled. my gloves that i wear with the outfit are nearly black now, and the totokia has become slightly less black.

Mine was already really dark. All I did was drill a hole in it. That wood is hard as hell. I used a brand new spade bit and it took forever to drill the hole. I don't know what type of wood it is.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back