Punching in hair

Garo Predator

Well ok since I have such a earning to sculpt something and make my own costume for next Halloween I am on the path to making a Tauren. Taurens are basically big bad ass bulls with weapons. Seen Below. They are very hairy and are pretty damn big. I am not sure what I am gonna do about the fur but I may just texture it in the sculpt instead of punching in 100,000,000,000,000 hairs. I still want to make their facial hair though does anyone have any tips on how to proceed through this task? Damn this guy man take like 400 pounds of clay but I am soo using water clay for this guy its cheap and they say it is used to make big sculptures. I will probably just make a naked Tauren body and make some big ass armor to go over it and have stilts in the feet and work out something in the arms. But that's besides the point.

TaurenDK.jpg

My 80 Death Knight Balmash Nathrezim

Balmash.jpg

TaurenDK.jpg

Balmash.jpg

Because the Tauren is bad ass and I like their story and history better but I wish I could see how they made the minotaur it may help me with the Tauren also I think I may go through the trouble of punching in ever damn hair that minotaur looks awesome.

Not an expert, but if the cast will be silicone or latex, hair can be punched individually using Hair Rooting (Punching) Tools.
For resin casts, you can use krazy glue or even thinned down Elmer's multipurpose (white) glue one at a time or in small bunches. Where visible, you want to do the hairs a couple at a time.

I know there are groups that make animal costumes for Cosplay and they use store bought furs and glue them in sections.
Here's a tutorial I found of how to make a wearable fursuit (Google is awesome!):
http://fursuit.tanidareal.com/tani/03fmatea.htm

Silicone will be a bit expensive for a full suit and may not be necessary since you'll be covering most of it up.
One of our members here did a pretty awesome Predator skin tutorial using a Mr. Incredible muscle suit with latex. That may work well for your costume build, innovative and affordable.
However, to answer your question, silicone pretty much releases from most molds, but usually fiberglass molds are used.

Hmmm not using Mr. I lol this guy has to be 8 feet tall maybe 3 feet in diameter around his chest big ass arms and mean. I am sculpting it myself out of water based clay. I may just use latex. Only his hoofs won't be covered up since Taurens seem to have hair every where. Now I just need to start it.....

Didn't know if I was the only one interested in this or not but I found out how to do it with a little yahoo a little patience and a little time enjoy the video and hope it helps anyone making a costume that requires punching in hair. The hardest thing for me is probably going to be molding this big sonovabitch.

Enjoy.

http://www.makeup-fx.com/punching.htm

If you are super keen and have the patience of a GOD, punch in the hair.
I did this wwwwaaaayyyyyyyyy back for a werewolf suit facial foam pieces.
It can take a long time.
But in saying that it is worth the effort in the end.

Do a lot of study/reference on hair and fur so you can plan which way you want the different sections to fall or flow.
Sketch your patterns as well and use different shades of material as not all hair is the same colour.
Good luck Garo ;)

Thanks Tusky though the only problem I figured out he had the head foamed.... I can't have the whole damn suit foamed I have to figure out how KNB did their minotaur. I will shave the hair so it has the hair length of a cow and for the main in the tail punch it in extra long and facial hair.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back