Propworx Closing its Doors

Linnear

I wanted you all to know that after 3 good years, Propworx is closing its doors. We had a great run, but the lack of interest in the studios wanting to do auctions has lead us to make this decision.

As I have told my friends many times, the Battlestar Auctions were a blessing, yet they also lead me to believe there was a business doing studio auction, which unfortunately has not materialized. Sadly, the studios just don't want to sell their stuff. Heck, last year Ridley Scott invited me to the set of Prometheus because he wanted us to do an auction for him. But Fox said no! Well, if Ridley Scott can't get an auction done with Fox, what chance do I have of convincing them?

While we have done some great work, and the Battlestar auctions remain the pinnacle of that type of studio event auction, it is time to move on. And I really have no interest in just buying or selling props like The Prop Store or Screen Used (who both do an awesome job) or doing eBay auctions like VIP (which also does good work and I have recommended to studios). Our specialty was always event auctions accompanied by the best auction catalogs ever.

And last month, my favorite employee, Jarrod, went to work at The Prop Store with my full blessing and support. Jarrod and Curtis were two truly amazing people to work with and we are now good friends. Curtis actually has been back in town from Africa and helping me close up shop the past month.

Propworx was my fourth company and having sold Marketworks for $ 16 million, (I wish got most of that!), I can take a loss on my entrepreneurial record (Which now stands at 1 win, 1 loss and 2 ties) :)

In closing down, all our business with our loyal customers has been finished up and I will personally continue to buy and sell Star Trek props and items from my collection, and work for CBS archiving the Star Trek Collection. In that regard we are working on two big projects, one of which is a full color book, ala Propworx catalogs, of the CBS Archive and my personal (and maybe others) Star Trek collections.

Thanks to all our customers over the past 3 years. It has been a fun ride!

Alec

Last edited:
Alec-Thank you very much for the wonderful collection of items from several different properties over the past three years. Your company made it possible to obtain some real treasure that we will continue to show and cherish for years to come. Bravo. Good luck in whatever you do.-Chris and Judi

Alec,
I am so sorry to hear this. I was lucky enough to get, through you, my first original screen used prop, Iron Man's Butt!! For that I will be always grateful.
I wsh you well in whatever you do. It is such a shame that those of us who want the chance to obtain more of these items are losing a valueable rescource.

Alec,

I'm very sorry to hear this news. I have followed your company with great interest and have been able to add some cherished items to my collection thanks to your online auctions, and the live Stargate auction held in Seattle a few years back. It was a wonderful experience and the production was top notch!

Thank you for all that you've done for the industry over the past several years, and my best to you, and the entire Propworx team, in whatever you choose to do in the future!

Best,

Terry

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Well, closing Propworx does not affect my hobby in any way, I am still handling the Star Trek archive for CBS, managing the restoration of the shuttlecraft Galileo with Adam Schneider, building a great Star Trek collection, writing a book on Star Trek props, and more. Propworx was an awesome chapter in my life and it is just cool to have so many (7,000+) customers who we were able to help get cool items for.

There is so much negativity in the hobby, but I have been lucky to have met so many cool people as customers and all the well wishes prove it. Thanks all!

Alec

Good luck with your future endeavours! :)

You totally rocked a lot of people's worlds - of that we can be sure. Including mine.

Alec,

Thank you for making the BSG props available to us (I got one your visitor tags!) I'm really sad to hear that you have decided to close up shop, but I'm happy that you haven't been embittered by the studios' lack of support.

Best of luck in your future projects!

Alec,

My first BSG prop came from Propworx, as did my first Eureka prop. ;-) Thanks Alec!

What can we do to keep the BSG auction archive active?

~Sean

It's sad to see Propworx go, it was a pleasure dealing with you, so thanks for everything!

Will there be a clearing-sale of some sorts, or were you able to sell everything?

No Stricky, we really don't have much of anything left. A few items that we are selling for others, (mostly propmasters from BSG).

Have some great pallet shelving if you need it!

:)

Alec

You given any thought to maybe doing a big live auction with sci-fi memorabilia once or twice a year?

No, because that is what Profiles, and now Screen Used are doing. And not what I want to do.

Our focus was an event auction surrounding a particular property. That allows us to do alot of great stuff we really enjoyed doing.

Alec

Sorry to hear about the closing of Propworx, thanks for all the hard work and enthusiasm.

Exciting news about the Star Trek props book though! I eagerly await more info on that item. :)

Karl

The Propworx Battlestar Auctions are still the pinnacle of experiences for me as a fan. You know how to throw a party like no ones business and I thank you for allowing us to participate in these two memory filled experiences.

That sucks. I'm sorry Propworx is closing. But thank you for Propworx and their years of service. :(

Last edited:
Damn, very sorry to hear Propworx is closing down. They were the first live auctions I ever bid in and were great craic! You were all top notch to deal with too! Kicking myself I never got the SG catalogues...doh!

Best of luck with the Trek work

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back