Props lost or destroyed

How about The Vulture junkyard built spaceship from Andy Griffith's short lived series Salavage-1? I would guess due to the size that the thing was dismantled after the series was cancelled. Anyone ever run across it on a backlot?

harry-and-vulture_zps9ef77bd7.jpg

In a tour of Universal back in the '80's I saw the Buck Rogers starfighter rotting in the backlot. Panels all peeling up. At first I was in awe of seeing it. Then I was in awe of realizing they cared so little as to let it go.

I have an 85 Yamaha XT200 That I believe is the same model that was used in the first Rambo movie, First Blood where he was running from the Sherrifs to the hills and then ditched it on the rocks. Would this now be considered a replica prop? When you find or have something that was used in a movie and is the same model and year....what can you do with it?
xt200.jpg

The one used in the movie was an XT250 4 stroke, but dubbed over to sound like a 2 stroke. :)

Considering Forbidden Planet's sets and props I have direct knowledge.

The Krell chairs in the lab (there were 4) ended up at Art Lonergan's house as benches surrounding his BBQ.

The "brain-booster" and library sat in the studio until the early 1970s. Bill Malone relates how when he was visiting M-G-M he was offered both of them for $50.00 each. The person who offered them and Bill went to the storage area and found that they were burned the day before.

The tractor was primarily just plywood sides added to a camera dolly. The dolly was salvaged after filming.

The 2 quad blaster cannon were sent to a production company in Italy but were never sent back — and, no, I don't know the name of the production.

I own the Krell lock (from outside the lab) and the pedestal that was at the terrace of the house.

The 3 large SET miniatures — Morbius House Wall (used when the Id tore the shutters); Krell Lab Door (where the Id burned through) and the Krell Shaft — were all destroyed after production.

Parts of the lab showed up on Twilight Zone repeatedly, in various configurations. Those circles with the wedge cut out Pac-Man style are the big giveaways.

Robby, his "jeep", the blasters, the uniforms, the landing gangway set piece and the Krell power dials were used consistently on TZ and other M-G-M productions so they cannot be considered lost or destroyed — which is the topic here.

Most of those things have not been seen since those other MGM productions some 50 years ago. I wonder what happened to them. Perhaps lost. Or destroyed.

First post here.
I don't recall the history behind the display at the Wings Over the Rockies Air & Space Museum but I know that they do have, IIRC, a 3/4 scale X-Wing on display. Like I said, I don't know the provenience behind this display, where it was actually a prop or not, but I do recall that it went on a tour with a lot of the cast. When it was returned to the museum, most of the main cast from the movie had autographed the X-Wing. I just looked it up and they are having an open cock-pit event this weekend so I might treat myself to another visit and take a lot more pictures.
If you would like to view the few pictures I took last time I visited, you can see my pictures on my profile on facebook. Probably easiest to look my up by the e-mail I used for that account, though, as there a a few Brian Johnson's around the world. (valhallareenactment@gmail.com)

Best,
Brian

The 3/4 X-Wings were built in Europe in the 1990s for a promotional tour of a VHS release of the trilogy. Never used on film.

Well ya know guys to come to think of it most, if not all the sets any many of the props from titanic were either destroyed or stolen. I read about that online yrs ago. There were even pics of things crushed and destroyed in piles. Such a shame.

Well ya know guys to come to think of it most, if not all the sets any many of the props from titanic were either destroyed or stolen. I read about that online yrs ago. There were even pics of things crushed and destroyed in piles. Such a shame.

With the size of that full scale mock up i'm surprised they didn't keep it as a museum attraction.

TitanicBaja.jpg

The Psycho House and Hotel in Orlando FL was torn down in 99 even though it was built before the studio was there. It was used in the filming of Psycho IV.
J

I met a guy that use to work for Paramount on stages....building and tearing down.

He said he had a pair of Trek boots use by Recardo Montalban and he used them as work work boots.....talk bout wishing ya kept something......

But he did keep something that I tried to buy....... somebody with more spare cash bought it so it can sit in a closet..........that's how some people are.

With the size of that full scale mock up i'm surprised they didn't keep it as a museum attraction.

http://en.academic.ru/pictures/enwiki/84/TitanicBaja.jpg

Well, the area was just OK when they filmed there. After that, the area got really sketchy. One of the reasons Fox abandoned the property.

The beautiful Bounty ship lost in Hurricane Sandy. :cry She's the first film prop I've seen in person.

The real tragedy with this incident is that a crew person lost her life when the ship went down.....

Gene

The real tragedy with this incident is that a crew person lost her life when the ship went down.....
I wasn't sure about bringing up the crew in my other post because I thought I'd be going off-topic. Even though I didn't mention them, I can't think about Bounty's fate without thinking of the crew. The poor woman who died and her family. T_T

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back