Process video for making the Grail Diary from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

was there a tecnique for how you weathered the pages? when i tried the coffee method it just smudged the ink everywhere. Maybe you printed with a laser printer opposed to inkjet?

was there a tecnique for how you weathered the pages? when i tried the coffee method it just smudged the ink everywhere. Maybe you printed with a laser printer opposed to inkjet?
If you use an inkjet, you’ll need to either find a waterproof ink or you need to pre-age the paper if you use a wet coffee process. Otherwise, as you’ve unfortunately found out already, it’ll make a normal ink bleed on the page. Best bet is to stick with a laser printer or photocopier (something with toner).

If you do pre-age the paper, be sure to get it really really flat before you feed it through the printer or else it can lead to jams. (I know this from many many instances of it.)

Last edited:
Here's some pre-aged paper that i've use for some of my prop replicas

Attachments

• aged paper.JPG
    aged paper.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 79
  • aged paper 1.JPG
    aged paper 1.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 78
  • aged paper 2.JPG
    aged paper 2.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 73
Watching this reminded me so much of the binge watching education scene from Lawnmower Man. Thank you for posting this brain dump. I loved it and shared with my son (a fellow adhd binge learner).

I'm at the point where I'm about to weather/dye the pages of my diary. I used normal print paper, but used a laser printer so the toner would bond. I see numerous tutorials on using coffee/tea/thinned paint to dye the pages. Anyone want to chime in with a tutorial they prefer? (hopefully cut some trial and error out of my process?)

The video above is a great inspiration, I wish is had just a few callout to guide us better, like the weathering solution recipe that is in the cookie sheets.

Thanks anyone of your folks who have done this before for guiding me -- I have 16 signatures ready to go, feel a bit impatient but also scared to screw them up.

Hey Cheule, my tip: be bold and try your own different aging styles with old prints from your home office.

Use different fluids, brushes, sponges, splatter technics and enjoy the results. In the best diarys every page is altered in a different way.

Nice work! I am about to embark on the same journey so its awesome to see how others have done it.

I always thought the cover was soft, not rigid like you have in yours. Does the board you used flex at all or did you want it to be a more rigid cover?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back