PREDATORS - MOVIE INFO

the problems with most of the "fan" feature films resides in the whole "creature" aspect. they become so engrossed in the designs of the characters that everything else takes the back burner, and so it just kinda dies.

Hmm... Im just still wondering what kind of audience RR is reaching for with this movie.
Do you remember the feeling you got, when you first got to see the predators face in P1 (if that was your first Predator-movie)? Your heart just took a quick jump and that "OMG" "WOOOW" factor kicked in. You had seen him stalking Dutch and the others, killing them off one by one and then at the end of the movie, you get so see who's behind the mask.
In AVP... the predators kind of jumps in the picture and you see them completely, no mystery there. I dont know how it was for the ones that saw AVP as their first Predator-movie, but I guess they did not jump of joy or felt any huge "feeling" as us that saw P1 first. :D

With that said, what kind of movie is RR making? A movie that is for an audience that have NEVER seen predator before, or a film for the die hard-fans?

Kotten

Gotta say, I'm not liking the sounds of this at all. While on the one hand it is refreshing to see that Predator still holds interest in the movie making buisness, on the other hand everyone thinks they can do whatever the hell they want with this film icon and get away with it (I'm talking to YOU, Anderson ). "His own version of the mythos"? Pfft. Please. For crying out loud doesn't anyone realize there's no "your version" or "someone else's version". There's only one "version". The one set by the original. This holds true for all film series'. Whatever is set by the first should be strictly followed. It can be added to, it can even be tweaked if need be, VERY SLIGHTLY TWEAKED, but it SHOULD NOT BE CHANGED. I have a bad feeling that they are going to mess this up big-time, both story wise and and for the look of our favorite intergalactic hunter.
(Sigh) I wish Stan Winston were here. He'd keep em' straight. :D )

You know stan was alive during the first AVP's go around.Well if he couldn't keep em straight then i doubt he could keep em straight now.....Really I would like to see an elder for a change go ape **** on a bad blood.But thats just me.

You know stan was alive during the first AVP's go around.Well if he couldn't keep em straight then i doubt he could keep em straight now.....Really I would like to see an elder for a change go ape **** on a bad blood.But thats just me.

An elder and a bad blood....a dream come true!!!

half knife, maybe I misunderstood your post, but Stan did not work on AVP. Not sure what you mean?

EDIT: I guess this includes UglyMofo as well. Missed that last line in his post.

So much bashing ..I dont really get it. Simple questions. Who would you rather have direct the movie and why? What would your plot idea be? ( not just put him in a conflict and let him do his thing....didnt quite work with the Rambo sequels) As for the fan idea...well come on...It's been over 20 years since the release of the original. Chances are that there are alot of fans out there ...including directors.

As for the Hollywood being this all evil singular entity, ...it is a place....that is it...a certain industry happens to thrive there. I come from the "Silicon Valley" no one blames it when a windows computer crashes or an iphone breaks.

Sorry, but I have worked on a few large films now...I've seen some great actors and directors team together with a crew of creative talent to make quality movies. In three more months I contract with a large production company. The industry isnt all about the mighty dollar...most films never recoup their expenses, but artists are still trying to make quality films that an audience can enjoy. If you dont want to give Rodriguez a chance from the onset, simply dont go see the film.

I am excited to hear about a new Predator film. As far as the script goes, its hard to get a grasp on an idea thats on paper. When it hits the screen I hope it is the character we all love to see pissed and wrecking house. As for Rodriguez...why the hell not. With the point made about the Predator figures around the offices, sounds like they have a fan base making this movie. That makes me feel real good about it. Now for the real question, I live in Texas and build these suits......how do I get a damn job on this film! I will work for free!!!

I'd rather there be no movie at all. The franchise is about to enter Jason X territory.

Yea - Pred should be put into a conflict and he should just do his thing, the central character we all care about is the Predator, the story should supplement him and his actions. I don't care about the humans, they can all die for all I care - what made the first movie so good is that the focus was on the Predator, even if he wasn't seen for the majority of the movie. The story was just enough to move the film along, and that's all it needed. The story was spot on, simple and sweet, not too much, not too little - and it stayed true to its focus.

AVP:R for example, you could have taken out every scene that didn't have the Wolf Predator/Aliens in it, it would have been the same movie - no one cares about all that other crap that has nothing to do with Predator/Aliens. With that said, the Predator wasn't even in the majority of the scenes in the original movie, but it was still focused on the Predator.

P2 and Aliens gave us the same, except we learned a little more about Predator society and a little more about the Alien reproduction cycle, just enough to make it really interesting and make us wonder, but not too much as to play it out and remove any mystery.

I bashed AVP as well, before it came out, and there was not a single 'I told you so' spoken to me. ...and I don't mean the town of Hollywood, I mean the industry. The people creating the F/X and props and designs, I'm not talking about them - they ARE talented, but if they're doing amazing work for a ****** story, then their talent is wasted.

About not seeing the movie... No worries. I don't plan to.

Where's that Robillicus when ya' need him!? :D

All good points, including George, Scott, and others. Perhaps we'd all feel better if there was some way that some exclusive privilege was given to the Lair by the folks putting this new film together by sharing with us an outline of the film. Not a rough treatment or script (cuz that just wouldn't happen) mind you, just a loose description of the film to assuage our fears.

Whenever talk of a new pred film comes up, there will always be the inevitable chorus of folks who take a negative view when certain things about the project get out. We've all been here before, we've been let down, and not because our expectations are unreasonable. We just want a well thought out, written script---and the rest will take care of itself. Some of us are just plain gun-shy is all, and care deeply about the character we've all invested so much time and enthusiasm in.

So let us be cautiously optimistic while this thing moves forward. I'm going to hold off on any further observations until I see more.

Last edited by a moderator:
i can see the plot now... it will start on the predhome world with a scene of elders dictating to young preds..... the young preds will jump on a ship visit some different planets and capture and kill some creatures... one of the preds who will be the underdog will come out on top for saving his group of young guys and will be a hero.

But if it stays true to who the pred is then fine and so long as there is plenty of violence and blood and good action if they do that then fine..

I think the biggest issue that we as the lair have to get past is remembering that although we are fans we are not the only people that will watch this movie. Also that the lair has all kinds of different people with different opinions so some will like certain kinds of movies and some will not. Like for instance I would love to see more of the homeworld and a movie that is done with the actual predator lifestyle in mind as long as it is done right. I know others who dont want to see that for crap.

Tauth, as I said in earlier posts in this thread... Why would you want "plenty of violence and blood and gore" I means seriously the movies that we fell in love with P1 and P2, even the alien movies were not that bloody or gory. If you ask for that your gonna get hostel or saw in a pred movie. Is that what we want? I mean dont get me wrong some blood is fine and I am always up for a little of the old ultra violence, but be careful what you wish for. Leave the slasher films to the slashers please.

If they're smart, they will have been watching Pred sites for a while now to get a good feel of what people are tired of seeing happen to the films, and make sure what NOT to do. If I was making this film, that's what I'd do. That's the smart thing to do with something that has a good fan base. Don't disappoint the fans. Keep the Predator...well, the Predator! Strong story, good budget, and stay true to the established mythos. Add a little at a time, don't overload it. Also, make it a full-length movie!!! And please, try to bribe some serious actors to do the film, no more teen-agers. There are plenty of really good character actors out there that would fit great in a Predator film. Michael Ironside is one of my favorites if he's still alive. Starship Troopers, Total Recall, etc. I'll go see anything with the Predator in it, but Fox needs to answer the call, and listen to the fans.

Yeah, I guess Carl's right. We should all just try to relax and see what happens. And if there's something about it we don't like, THEN we can gripe about it! :D I suppose with the let downs we've had with the AVP series, (which is still pretty good don't get me wrong, but definately could be better) we've become a bit paranoid concerning who does what with our favorite alien trophy hunter. Only time will tell, I suppose...

i am no huge fan of RR. I am, however, willing to wait and not pass judgement on what so far has been little more than newspaper clippings - and ones that were actually contradicted w/in hours of the first announcement. For all i know, RR might be as hardcore a Predfan as me. For all i know, he's rubbing his hands together w/ dollar signs in his eyes. i'll wait till i see the trailers first, i think, or some promo pics of the beasties. if they even remotely spit on Stan's grave by a redesign, they can fk off. i have to say that some of the talk of Preds taking people home to arena (you what now??) and commandos vs Preds (a P1 remake, which was touted a few years ago but w/ more Preds becuase, y'know, one just couldn't handle the army itself) doesn't really trip my alarms, but then again the internet if chocker w/ rumours and BS, so again i'll wait. i thought the advance word of "Preds in the arctic" sounded stupid, but it *just* managed to work in AVP.

What they need to do is, like most of you said, stay true to the original concept/film and keep it a rated R film. It should not be intended for kids, and it needs to have actors and characters that have some kind of interesting story to them, to keep the overall story of the film from crashing and reverting to a pred/human slug-fest. A bigger look into the predator home-world would be great, but humans invading THEIR planet? That would be a dumb idea. Its already been established in the comics that their home-world's nitrogen/oxygen ratio is very different from Earths, so a movie based off that would be en epic failure unless they were brought there by predators for a greater purpose [not some stupid 'gladiator' type battle]
I do not think a USCM/Weyland Yutani incorporation should be in the solo predator movies, that should stay in the aliens/AVP franchise. There's a ton of good Predator comics with good stories and I would not mind seeing any particular one of those made into a movie. They SHOULD have made AVP after the original AVP comic because it actually had characters that were intriguing [Machiko]
I'm not sure if the whole 'reboot' thing means they want to redo the original predator with more preds or not, but that would be STUPID. Don't fix what isn't broken! Since its pretty obvious the next predator installment will have more than one predator in it, If there is to be a lead human actor who will inevitably bring down the predators, it should DEFINITELY not be a female this time. Even said, it should be not just one almighty person who wins the fight, but a solid team, maybe a team who has been trained to deal with these? There's enough evidence left over from both the predator movies to where the government could establish what the predators are and what they do and the weapons they use that they could be able to form an organization that could take on the predators face to face. I think that would be a great movie in my opinion. Some Unblooded/Youngbloods come to earth to earn their first human trophy, and are met with a Yautja extermination team, prompting some Blooded/Experienced warriors to come and eradicate this new human opposition.
This is just my opinion and hopefully RR would be reading into the fans opinions and not just doing a crappy film to continue the franchise and cash in on it.
What say you lair?

Im really not into this whole remaking of Predator...but I guess we'll just see how it goes. Predator is a classic and it should stay that way imo! :)
My god they better do one HELL of a job to get me to go see it.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back