Predator Skull Trophy

Hi community,

This is my first post here and I just recently came across it. I'm new to sculpting and never considered making props as a hobby, but here I am! I watched a Stan Winston video where a creature skull trophy is made out of polystyrene, and I thought i would have a go at it. I have never carved before, so lets see if I can make this without destroying it :) Ive inserted the reference photo and my current work in progress photos.

400048_press04-001 (1).jpg

20210919_163356_resized.jpg
20210920_093445_resized.jpg
20210921_112438_resized.jpg
20210928_165508_resized.jpg
20211002_172710_resized.jpg

Looks really cool. One suggestion though would be to slim the teeth and jaw spikes down, so they don't look so massive. I think that would make the whole thing look better than it already does.

Looks really cool. One suggestion though would be to slim the teeth and jaw spikes down, so they don't look so massive. I think that would make the whole thing look better than it already does.
Thanks mate, a good call, I will take your advice. Are you meaning the bone thickness of the articulating carapace, or the actual claw that is on its end?

Good job, love the finish you´re getting.
What are you using to harden it?
Epoxy resin. If applied thinly it works well, a couple of coats were needed. However I used it thickly to try and smooth the holes where the dreadlocks would grow from and it dissolved the polystyrene. In some parts I painted the polystyrene first with acrylic paint to seal it. This resulted in a better finish, however I liked the slightly dissolved finish as textured it. But I lose control relying on the epoxy to do the texturing.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back