Predator (P1) Bio Mask Pep

Dugzor

Who wouldn't want a Predator Bio Mask hanging on their wall? Or on their face?

My first foray into prop building, and so far, I'm really enjoying it. I've been a fan of Predator since I was way too young to have watched it, and have longed for a bio mask prop. I'm working on a budget, so I luckily stumbled upon Pepakura as a method for prop building. Many people appear to have started in Pepakura with the bio mask, so I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring.

This file is supposedly based on the mask from the first Predator film, which is my favorite.

IMG_20150603_170436405.jpg

IMG_20150603_202314627.jpg

I'm not sure how other people go about organizing this part of the project, but I came up with a simple way to sorting the pieces by page, so I could easily reference them in the software.
IMG_20150603_222801307_HDR.jpgIMG_20150604_220419128_HDR.jpg

My plan, once I get this bad boy assembled, is to strengthen it with resin and fiberglass sheeting, build it up with Bondo, sand it down, then paint it.

Advice always welcome!

Last edited:
Took me about six hours, spaced out over three days, but I got it fully assembled (aside from the little hose attachment bit that's way too complicate for my fingers).
IMG_20150606_132013214_HDR.jpgIMG_20150606_132037142.jpg

I've noticed, as you can probably see, that it's not exactly symmetrical. One downside of this process is that if you can't line up every single bit right, it's not going to sit straight. I figure it's close enough to be able to push and pull it into shape with masking tape and some small wooden dowels before I start to resin it up. Anyone have any other suggestions for this? I can't be the only one that's had problems with warping.

IMG_20150606_190545556_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah cool, thanks. I will have another go with the one I have and if I call no joy, I will use the one you have posted.

Working on the fiberglass now. I'm finding myself fighting the cure time of the resin. I'm going to try adding less hardener to the mix, to see if I can eek out a few more minutes of work out of each batch.

IMG_20150613_150628777_HDR.jpg
Fiberglass complete.

IMG_20150613_170725609.jpg

IMG_20150613_183402309.jpg
First layer of Bondo. It's my first time working with it, so I'm likely making many mistakes.

Shrug, we learn from mistakes so don't worry about making them. Anyway my main concern right now is you're putting on too much bondo which will make sanding a bit more labour intensive later on.

Key is doing thin coats

Thanks, wuwu. I'll keep that in mind. I knew going into this that the sanding and Bondo layers would take a lot of time. A friend of mine has recommended using a Dremel to bring down the rough spots.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking great. Keep up the good work. Did adding less cat to the resin work?
cavx Slightly, yes, but I didn't want to reduce it too much, for fear that it wouldn't set right. However, I was able to reuse my chip brush several times by soaking it in acetone as soon as it started to harden. Got through the rest of the fiberglassing on one brush!

Dugzor Apparently you can also use a silicone basting brush (the type you might use on your thanks giving turkey) and you can let is set hard, then bend the bristles and the resin just breaks off and you can start again. Nothing sticks to silicone and I have found that the silicone spatulas (you buy these at a cheap shop for about $2.00) make great mixing utensils because, nothing sticks to them and you can really get a good scrap along the sides of the mix pot.

Adding less cat means that the product will take longer to cure. Once mixed, it is a sure thing and it is going off, just might take longer.

@Dugzor Apparently you can also use a silicone basting brush (the type you might use on your thanks giving turkey) and you can let is set hard, then bend the bristles and the resin just breaks off and you can start again. Nothing sticks to silicone and I have found that the silicone spatulas (you buy these at a cheap shop for about $2.00) make great mixing utensils because, nothing sticks to them and you can really get a good scrap along the sides of the mix pot.

Ugh, why didn't I think of that? Silicone! Brilliant, cavx!

Been a while since I had some time work on the mask, as house work tends to take priority.

I realize I did indeed screw myself with the inordinate amount of Bondo I put on this thing on the first pass. I was able to use the Dremel to remove quite a bit the extra material, but it still looks really rough.

IMG_20150628_173432914_HDR.jpg

Now that I have some experience working with the stuff, I can start to apply the Bondo a bit more conservatively. I'm starting with smoothing out the dome.

IMG_20150628_181703649_HDR.jpg

IMG_20150628_181714302.jpg

I'll keep doing this bit by bit until I can get the shape more uniform.

Very nice work!

I just started my own about a week ago. Same pep and everything. Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

I plan to sculpt the little hose attatchment with Apoxie Sculpt. Perhaps you can do something similar? My first thought coming across that piece was **** that noise as well. :lol

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back