Power Rangers White Ranger - First Costume attempt

Jaydesu

Ok. So I've been scoping the website for a good 6 weeks now and plan on making a white ranger suit. I thought this may be an alright starting point for my first full costume build. I have a couple of questions in how I should approach each part.

1. Helmet
I see a lot of ironman builds and was wondering how costly it is to do a build from scratch. I believe the Power Ranger helmet may be a couple of steps easier (the challenge would probably be the visor). My debate is if it is worth the time and money to do the build from scratch or would it cost the same to buy the helmet online (cost of resin, fibreglass, etc, etc - p.s I live in Australia so supply/costs may be different)? If not I also need a visor, apparently vaccuforming distorts vision as it warps the plastic. I'm considering buying a motorcycle visor but that may be 1/4 the cost of the helmet online (again cost effective debate).

2. Armor/Shoulder Guards
I've seen a couple of armor builds (this one in particular: http://www.therpf.com/f24/saiyan-armor-progress-update-pg-3-a-45624/index3.html) but I want it to have some form of flex. I'm considering rubber but I have no idea on how to use it as I have never made armor like this. Just wondering if anyone can assist with the approach on this one. Belt should be fine, I'm pretty sure I can find Rubber/Soft plastic somewhere to work with (maybe even foam).

3. Body Suit
I was considering a Zentai Suit and was wondering if anyone has had experience with them? (linkn: Sexy White Zentai Lycra Catsuit fullboby catsuit S-XXL (eBay item 250797760580 end time 09-Apr-11 03:35:04 AEST) : Clothing, Shoes Accessories) since the white ranger doesn't have any markings on his outfit it shouldn't be too hard to make if i bought my own lycra/spandex. He also has a shirt with gold rims under the armor and above the lycra but that shouldn't be too hard.

4. Boots and Gloves
More issue with the whit boots themselves. I can get any white leather gloves (or make my own) and trim them with the black and gold cuffs but i have no idea on how to make boots.

RPF, work your magic compass and point me in the right direction! Any help will be appreciated.

Building your helmet.

If you have tons of time and your a patient person then making your helmet is cheaper but not always better. Yes by making your helmet your guaranteed that it will fit you just the way you want it to, however that will come with many mess ups and frustration. I say that assuming that this is your first time trying something like this. if you have built helmets or life size scale props before then you should have no problem. the only thing i cant find is how to make the visor. ive been told with a heat gun and plexi glass, but i tried that and it went really wrong really quick:cry instructables.com if you search power rangers, you will find a good picture guided article on how to make a white ranger helmet. However the one part of the whole costume that you cant buy is the shield and that will take tons of time. If you buy your helmet your i would go to to homemedia4u.com click cosplay and then click super sentai and there you will find the helmets for $298.00 thats shipping included. or you can go to ebay and search power ranger helmets and you will find one for $307.00 shipping included.

Im currently working on the green ranger and I am buying my helmet. many people will tell you to check out rangerboard.com but the people there are not friendly to new people. i am new to therpf.com but I know that as soon as people start reading this thread they will poor information on you. Its awesome. i have never seen people so willing to help. I hope this helps. i will do some research and post more info as i find it.

As far as the visor is concerned, I've always had good luck going to a Motorcycle shop that sells helmets and browsing through their extra visor section. There is usually a great selection of tinted visors for pretty cheap, and you can get them in a lot of different curvatures.

I loved Power Rangers when I was younger, and I especially loved the movie suits. Wouldn't mind tackling the white ranger some day!

Anyway, Hope that helps!

I love Power Rangers, so I'm looking forward to your progress. If I had the dedication to get in better shape, without a doubt I'd dawn the spandex and big helmet. MMPR ftw.

Years ago during the Rangers 2nd season I put together a White ranger costume. My armored vest was made of blue foam padding that is installed under carpets. Sorry that it's not a better photo.

mewhiteranger.jpg

Years ago during the Rangers 2nd season I put together a White ranger costume. My armored vest was made of blue foam padding that is installed under carpets. Sorry that it's not a better photo.

Thanks for that.

I have NOT tried to use resin before but there is a first for everything right? From my understanding there are no free pepakura templates around? (then again its just the helmet with the white tiger foam layer for the face then the visor). Its mainly the proportions that will be the issue.

I bought 2 slabs of 150cm x 75cm x 2.5cm architecture foam (no idea what its called) so I can mould the helmet using this method for $10 (ref:Daft Punk Guy-Manuel Helmet Build).

I will try thick foam (the same as yoga/camping matts? 1cm thick?) but what did you use to paint it?

Thanks for your help guys. Hopefully I can start this project this weekend when it isn't raining! DDDx

Sweet ... I wanted to start one of these helmets for my son ... he is a huge power ranger fan and loves both the white and green rangers. I will be watching this thread

Thanks for that.

I have NOT tried to use resin before but there is a first for everything right? From my understanding there are no free pepakura templates around? (then again its just the helmet with the white tiger foam layer for the face then the visor). Its mainly the proportions that will be the issue.

I bought 2 slabs of 150cm x 75cm x 2.5cm architecture foam (no idea what its called) so I can mould the helmet using this method for $10 (ref:Daft Punk Guy-Manuel Helmet Build).

I will try thick foam (the same as yoga/camping matts? 1cm thick?) but what did you use to paint it?

Thanks for your help guys. Hopefully I can start this project this weekend when it isn't raining! DDDx

The carpet foam was 1 inch thick. I made a pattern of one half of the vest, and then laid it on the foam and cut around it. I then turned it around the other way on a new piece of foam and cut another out so I would have two sides that were the same. I glued them together in the middle front and then glued a zipper in the back. The black parts of the vest were pieces of black vinyl type of material that I glued onto the foam. Some detail bits of the vest were made up of thin sheets of white foam and cut into the proper shapes. Foam like this:

Value Pack 12''x18'' Foam Sheets*: foam & foamies*: kids crafts*: Shop | Joann.com

I painted every that was supposed to be gold with gold spray paint.

UPDATE: So I've been gethering things here and there and have quite a few things.

White suit - $50, I have the white zentai suit. The quality of the product is ok but there are only 3 sizes and I sit on the line of Med and Large (which sucks because the large is probably way too big while the medium just fits). Problems with it, you can see everything in terms of skin tight outlines (you can see the hairs on my legs - take that as a starting point)

Gloves - I managed to snatch myself one of the fun, sound making, white ranger gloves for about $40. Not show accurate but I think it would be more fun.

Saba Sword - Got this for $20. Steal! Problem, end was bent and broken, might make my own blade for it...

Morpher - $130, not worth it? I DONT CARE! + the white tiger power coin at + $25 (will get the metal cast)

Shield - $6 bought the camping mat foam. This stuff looks great and seems easy to work with. Haven't made the shield. Does anyone know how to gold plate it (what fabric to use)?

I need assistange with the helmet, I'm having a real hard time makingone on my own (using architecture foam or whatever it is) and i have the approximate shape. I want to know how people cast helmets from a mould once I am done.

I know you wax the object then use fibreglass and segregate half of it so you have one side of the mould then the other, then release and there you have the fibreglass mould, put them together then you cast then you release again.

I have the general theory (I think, someone shoot me down if I sound arrogant). I need to know the products to use (not brand, but properties) so I don't look like an idiot in front of the guy providing me with resin.

PS. I live in Australia so I will have to talk to someon about this stuff, I just need to know what type of wax/release, type of resin & catalysts, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance!!

If anyone must know, project has been slowed down due to family complications.

I am looking forward on more progress when you can pick this project back up! I too will be starting a Super Sentai costume and have already learned a great amount from this thread! I am thinking Kakuranger, Hurricanger, Gaoranger, Shinkenger, or Gokaiger... a lot to choose from I know... love em all tho. But yes, very pumped to see some progress on this!

Hi there! I'm a noob on this forum, but I've been on rangerboard for some time now, and I figured I'd go ahead and throw this up here for you buddy =D. Im currently working on a shield tutorial for the one Im redoing out of camping mat foam, but this one is my older tutorial with foam rubber (I think..I cant exactly remember the name of it off the top of my head.) If you have any questions for me, shoot me a pm and I'll do everything I can do to help you out. Here's the linkg to my shield tutorial..
Kiba Shield Tutorial - RangerBoard
Also here is a few pics of the finished costume. All of it was handmade, except for the spandex, which is a zentai suit off of ebay ^-^
1026000236-1-1-1-1.jpg

IMG00558.jpg

IMG00559.jpg

Last pic is of me with a friend who did the green ranger and inspired me to do my white =D
73276_120080248053448_100001544207368_132925_1265008_n.jpg

Hello
You can also make your helmet with recyclable material such as cereal boxes and use wood filler instead of fiberglass resin,beleive me dude,is cheaper.
Im making a white ranger costume too and I made my mask that way and it looks good.
Check on the instructables website,you can find instructions there on how to do your helmet, I made mine with less than $20, you can also make the visor with a soda bottle ( the big ones) just cut the top and bottom then cut it in half from up to bottom and you will have visor material there,then buy that paint that is used to tint the car lights or tint it usin car window tint, (the darkest one),it works pretty well

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back