Power Girl Keyhole Help

While I haven't done what you're trying to do, I'd imagine just trying the suit on and using the model as reference, draw yourself a hole. If you're sewing the edge, just leave at least 1/4" extra and have at it. :confused

128818025750711981.jpg

When I made this outfit(not for me!), I made the tights themselves. But, you can simply sew a circle onto the front, cut out around the inside of the stitch line, flip the circle inside, and stitch down the hem. Don't forget to plan for your undergarments.

I would suggest one of the following:

- Use elastic around the keyhole hem to keep it from stretching out over time. This will allow the keyhole to expand/contract with body movement. This would be good for PG versions where the keyhole is a circular shape.

Ex: Hemming Elastic: Sewing Tips and Tricks - YouTube

- Finish the edges of the keyhole by doing a facing (much like you would on a neck opening or armhole). This would be good for PG versions where the keyhole has sharp corners.

Ex: Teach Yourself to Sew: Faced Edges - YouTube

I did a facing around the keyhole on a PG suit I recently did, and I also sewed a bra into the suit to avoid wardrobe malfunctions. The keyhole was the very last thing I did - I marked the outer edges of the keyhole while the suit was being worn.

Here is how mine turned out (rectangular keyhole, faced edge, being worn by fabulous customer)
6151192709_3513b7e5fe_z.jpg

Good luck!

I'm probably a few months late in responding to this, but after sewing the leotard, I put it on, took a pair of scissors and cut a horizontal line across my chest, then a small vertical line in the middle, making a very wide "+" sign. I then folded the material under and pinned it in place to form the desired cut-out that I wanted. I carefully took it off and used a zig-zag stitch to finish.

It looks a bit distorted in this pose, but it is actually symmetrical. The only thing I was displeased with was my collar was a bit wonky.

6125568427_e937e25a43_z.jpg

Last edited:
I'm tackling this as my main costume for DragonCon this year. @gstqfashions, I adore your cape! The shoulder armor is what attracted me to Volume 2 PG (and researching how to make it was one of the reasons I finally joined rpf!). I'm sewing the suit, so I just made a slit across the bust point that matched with the princess seams. It stretches open to a nice curve once worn (but needs a thin line of elastic to help keep its shape).

Power Girl is hiding a Wookie! Just kidding, the costume looks great! I never get tired of seeing the Power Girl costumes!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back