post images/info about Mk3 No1 grenade here

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by jediscout, Aug 7, 2003.

1. jediscout

jediscout Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'd like to amass information about variations of grenades--and get that ARCHIVED for our board.

Please anyone with images of their grenade, or info--post it here.

(Renamed my original thread--asking if old post with info about variations fell off board.)

2. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Yeah sadly it dropped I think, and I don't think I saved my summation but I'll check around.

Wanna try it again? [​IMG]

3. Sumatra

Sumatra Sr Member

Definitely something to redo and then archieve.

4. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Not as detailed as my last version, but here goes:

No. 3 Mk 1 variations:

Frag Body
    ...Groove angle--some have exra-wide angle 'around' grooves.
    ...Groove cross-section varies, some are at or nearly symmetrical to a radius of the body cross-section, some are shaped so that alternating frag columns have parallel-sided walls. Probably there are in-between variations.
    ...Frag column widths--some examples are all equal, some examples alternate wider/narrower/wider
    ...Lengthwise groove end shape--sometimes these are curved to various degrees, ('asymmetrical'), sometimes these are 'straight' ('symmetrical'), (the only known example of which is Jediscout's grenade).
    ...Lengthwise groove end position--sometimes these noticeably cut into the last 'ring' at one or the other or both ends, and sometimes they don't.
    ...Upper bevel--the angle of this varies, as does whether or not it starts right at the edge of the topmost groove.

Stem
    ...Threading to Frag body and vane blades may not be standardized (my speculation).
    ...Thickness varies
    ...Height (i.e. location) and angle of bevel to thicker section varies, some examples have a step instead of a bevel.
    ...Height of other details also varies, i.e. distance of threading, holes, and grooves from stem base.

Windvane
    ...Vane sleeve height varies.
    ...Vane sleeve printing varies in visibility and style, some examples have no printing visible.
    ...Vane sleeve flange--flange, no flange, big flange, little flange.
    ...Vane groove--sometimes there is no groove, sometimes there is just a hint of a depression going around the vane sleeve, sometimes there is a fully-developed groove with a cross-section that 'swoops' down to the flange. The width of the groove varies.

Edited 8-12-03 to correct memory lapses and refine some language.

5. jediscout

Thanks for all the info, thus far.
    In retrospect, we should have archived that thread.

I've got pictures I can add here--please anyone else join in. It would be an great to view as many REAL grenades as possible, to see the variations we come up with from those who own them on the board.

My 'straight' grooved version:

[attachmentid=11968]

[attachmentid=11969]

6. natty15d

natty15d Well-Known Member

does anyone know what price these grenades typically reach?

Nathan

7. jediscout

Here's a second version I've got--will post images of a third version within a week:

[​IMG]

8. jediscout

And here's the 'straight-grooved' version next to the painted one:

[attachmentid=11970]

9. jediscout

<.-- BBCode Start -->natty15d<.-- BBCode End -->
    I got my first grenade for around $300 & the second one free. Third I'm still barganing for, will let you know how much it costs.

[attachmentid=11971]

10. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

The usual price range for these grenades is from under $200 for ones in mediocre to bad condition, up through $500 for ones in especially fine condition.

Outside this usual range, some have gone for $700, or in one very special case as much as $1,200.

I'll post the stuff I have tonight.

11. jediscout

bump for evening crew

12. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Here's a few more.

Most of you probably have these pics, in circulation for quite a while:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's one from my own collection:
    [​IMG]

...and another formerly from my collection:

[​IMG]

...and this one, 'the' DH grenade, posted with Hez' kind permission:

[​IMG]

...and another, Roman's original grenade, his pic posted with his kind permission:

[​IMG]

And Chen's grenade:

[​IMG]

13. J.Max

J.Max Well-Known Member

It appears that they were made out of different materials too. That last one looks like it was made out of steel.

14. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

The frag bodies are all, so far as I know, of steel or conceivably iron. Variations in color are due to different degrees and kinds of oxidation, or remains of original paint. The stems and vanes were all made of brass.

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    Darth Violence wrote:
    <HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
    It appears that they were made out of different materials too. That last one looks like it was made out of steel.
    </TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

15. scarf man

scarf man Sr Member

16. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Scarf, I've emailed EJ, the guy who created the very cool Inert-ord site from which the above pic was taken, asking for permission to post it. He's a member here and I hope he'll come by.

17. scarf man

scarf man Sr Member

Righty O, if you know who he is LMK or pm him yourself, I have edited my post for now. I would not want to steal anyones thunder. [​IMG]

EDIT: (* spelling)

18. jediscout

Am looking forward to seeing these pics.

19. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

EJ's given permission to post pics from the inert-ord site so long as the site is credited. I PM'd Scarfman but maybe he's AFK. I haven't time to do it until this evening--anyone else wanna do it?

20. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Is any one casting these in metal?

21. Hez

Hez Well-Known Member

I looked at doing cheap casts in pewter. Probably would have been around $75 or so each, but there wasn't enough interest to be able to go with it.

22. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

I was just curious. I do have a full foundry at my disposal, these could be cast in aluminum for very little. Aluminum would cost $40-$50.

23. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

Hez--another great idea, too bad it didn't fly.

Darkside--Dave Sciacca is probably still offering his brass castings, maybe start a new thread asking for info. if you don't find it w/ a Google search?

Many replicas of varying degrees of accuracy have been done. IMO the best to date will be Chen's run of machined replicas, which although delayed should be being received soon. See the thread which is still up.

All--please see my post above for updated picture credits.

24. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Thanks I'll look into it.

25. Hez

Hez Well-Known Member

Jamie, if you want to give it a go, let me know...I would consider loaning my grenade out for a favourable deal on the castings.

26. DARKSIDE72

DARKSIDE72 Sr Member

Hez, it wouldn't hurt a thing to SEE what it would take exactly I am confident about the low costs. A good casting is just as good as the real thing after all. I am positive we could work out an amicable arrangement between us [​IMG]
    But any more do people here even "BUILD" props these days? [​IMG]

I don't have your email address Hez, send it to me will you? jfmail@adams.net

27. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

28. DARTH SABER

DARTH SABER Master Member

The second grenade in the top photo posted by Scarfman (from "Inert.org) looks pretty * close to the one used on the actual saber...

The groove on the windvane cover looks right, the lengthwise grooves on the grenade look pretty symetrical (although I cant be sure from that angle) and the toring on the grenade comes to point rather than a cut off edge..

29. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

DS--I agree about the vane, I think that's pretty much the same profile as Chen's.

About the frag body though, I think we're just seeing it from the 'straight' side. EJ has pics on that site showing how much of a difference that can make (possibly of this very grenade). 'Straight' groove-ends (symmetrical ones) will look slightly curved from both angles.

Edit: Yes, here it is. Again this is from EJ's Inert-ord site, in the password section. It's intended to explain a confusion EJ apparently ran into w/ some SW fans about there being 'straight' and 'curved' versions of the grenade, resulting from viewing the asymmetry of the lengthwise grooves from different angles. Funny how things work out... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note: The left grenade with the 'correct' style vane is also the one EJ points out as having an unusual variation of frag body with small frag segments due to the lathed grooves having an unusually wide angle. EJ speculated that the resulting reduction in weight possibly served to increase the effective range.

Bump

30. jediscout

Anyone else? I know there must be more

31. TK626

TK626 New Member

Here's a small pic of 14 of them side by side (about halfway down the page):
    http://www.diggers.be/E/activiteiten/bommen/welkom.htm

The website is about a WWI archeological dig in Belgium, and mentions some of the items are on display in Flanders Fields Museum. I wonder if they were ever cleaned up and put on display?

Nick

32. Serafino

Serafino Sr Member

So is this going to get archived?