Suggestion Possible forum improvement idea?

Pluribus

Hi everyone

I dont post often but I do read the studio scale forum almost daily. As such, I've had a thought which could improve this particular set of pages.

When I was growing up, you were either a Star Trek fan or a Star Wars fan, but never both. As such, I grew up a Trek fan. I do appreciate Wars and thought the visuals in Force Awakens were amazing, but I dont nerd out over it the way most people do, or the way I nerd out over Trek.

When looking through the Studio Scale pages, I have to wade through literally hundreds of Deagostini MF build posts, dozens of "definitive" XWings posts and untold others from the SW universe. Indeed, on the first 10 pages alone there are 146 SW threads, not including many "How ILM did it" threads, "identify this obscure part" threads and any ships I dont immediately recognise from the SW universe (many).

My idea was to section out the Studio Scale board into SW, ST et al pages to make it easier for fans to find specific threads to suit their fandom and ignore threads that hold no interest to them.

Just an idea. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Ian

Star Wars fans have to browse through many DeAgo MF threads to find Star wars related studio scale threads !

Joke aside, it would not be worth it to split the studio scale section, there's not enough threads for that. We would end up with a Trek section with only 10 or so threads (half of them being about The MR enterprise).

You can used the search fonction to find what you want, that' what I do, even for SW subjects.

It would be good if some of the DeAg Falcon threads were combined, and if there was a way for a 'parts swap' to be sticky at the top. Apart from that all is good :)

I agree. When it was first advertised on the TV here in England, my very first thought was "there goes the RPF boards..."

I guess I'll just keep using the search box for scratch builds instead of wading through all the model kit threads.

I honestly would love both model sections divided into major themes and then misc. I was very happy when Star Wars got it's own prop section. Made it easier.

Going for the total Tom spoiled idea I would love Indy to have a separate section as well.

Tom

- - - Updated - - -

It would be good if some of the DeAg Falcon threads were combined, and if there was a way for a 'parts swap' to be sticky at the top. Apart from that all is good :)

Please don't combine them. That would not be good. Putting them in their own section would be awesome but for the love of all that is good and holy please don't combine them.

Tom

When looking through the Studio Scale pages, I have to wade through literally hundreds of Deagostini MF build posts, dozens of "definitive" XWings posts and untold others from the SW universe. Indeed, on the first 10 pages alone there are 146 SW threads, not including many "How ILM did it" threads, "identify this obscure part" threads and any ships I dont immediately recognise from the SW universe (many).

My sentiments exactly. Since I'm overfed with SW threads (I don't want to see another Falcon for at least a year, and never have to see an X-wing ever again) and since I don't care for ST models (I find the Enterprise in all its incarnations a truly ugly design), I could do without threads about them. Problem is that what remains would hardly fill two pages.

Star Wars is popular at the moment and RPF has gained in popularity as well,

its also a sign of the times regarding the amount of Star Wars models being released, if that changes we should see trends change and other items taking over.
i understand non Star Wars fans being fed up, but we could say the same.....however I do like finding other excellent modelling subject posts even Trek ;)
joking aside , having separate threads increases where we have to search for new posts.

I would prefer if the internal search engine was improved and also a button on the top and bottom of each thread page so I don't have to scroll up and down

I think what we need in this forum is more folks with less than ten posts and ZERO BUILDS popping in for ten minutes to let the the rest of us who've been here fifteen years or more know what we're doing wrong.

Have some super-cool non-Star Wars related studio-scale builds? Then by all means, LET'S SEE them! I know I enjoy them as much as anybody here.

Want to prove to the rest of the world that you are an international studio-scale modeling STUD? Then how about instead of posting fifty-thousand word essays about what an expert you are, you show us one or two pictures of what you are ACTUALLY BUILDING?

I think what we need in this forum is more folks with less than ten posts and ZERO BUILDS popping in for ten minutes to let the the rest of us who've been here fifteen years or more know what we're doing wrong.

Have some super-cool non-Star Wars related studio-scale builds? Then by all means, LET'S SEE them! I know I enjoy them as much as anybody here.

Want to prove to the rest of the world that you are an international studio-scale modeling STUD? Then how about instead of posting fifty-thousand word essays about what an expert you are, you show us one or two pictures of what you are ACTUALLY BUILDING?

I'm sorry if I offended you. Unlike the people that do build on here, I dont have anywhere near enough money to do even the smallest build so thanks for making me feel ***** about that.

I highly suspect the vast majority of RPF members dont build either. Do you get offended every time they post anything critical too?

So what if I've only been here for a third of the time you have, thats got nothing to do with my original post. Sometimes it takes fresh eyes to see a possible solution to a possible problem. There is absolutely no need to berate me for it.

You make it sound like I demanded the mods change the website because I think its crap. You could not be more wrong. The Studio Scale build section is my favourite and I reads posts on it almost every day. I'm not going to pretend I wasn't getting a bit tired of having to scroll through all the MF or XWing builds to find anything non-SW related, but as I'm obviously not allowed to have an opinion due to my "less than 10 posts", I'll humbly step back and ask your gracious permission before I post anything in the future.

There are/have been mods who have scratched their head at the need to separate SS from general modeling at all. Don't rock the boat!

Zorg! Bad boy... ;^P

This issue the OP has raised really is related to convenience & ease-of-use. The search functionality could address that issue especially if it were possible to save searches for one-click usage. Is that possible now? I know subscribing to threads automatically allows one to focus on those of proven interest but fails to address anything new coming 'down the pike'.

Sometimes a bit of creative use of existing functionality goes a long way. Any "Search" guru's?

Regards, Robert

---------------------------------------------
Just checked the Search; found even the advanced search seems to not use typical search functions(?) I entered [-"Star Wars"] which should result in all titles with the exact phrase 'Star Wars' being excluded but the negative sign was ignored, so I got stuff with SW in the title. So, it appears that the Search functionality needs some tweaking (again, perhaps others with more experience can offer advice...)

Looking through the Support forum, got some ideas & tested some basic Boolean operators and things seemed to work with those. For example, entering ["AT-AT"] as a search keyword fails to give any results. However, entering [(AT-AT) .OR. (ATAT)] (without the square brakcets), I get results that includes both terms as intended. Perhaps there is hope!

Well, no. I entered [.NOT. (Star Wars)] plus variations with quotes, but it STILL keeps giving me results with 'Star Wars'. So, I don't know. Perhaps just need a better Search tool...?

Last edited:
What is wrong with several MF builts?
I think it is awesome when i read that people are having a good time while building their models,..in fact in almost every thread i find people using different perspectives and techniques(some new to me and really worth while exploring) of ways to build or improve their models.
I think it is great that i can learn new things all the time,..in fact that is why i joined the rpf in the first place.
So,..for the not so experienced builders as myself in contrary to Pluribus ,i assume, please keep the MF builds comming,..the more the better i say.
Oh bye the way Pluribus,..to scratch build,glue,paper and plummers putty will get you pretty far,so money should not be an issue at all..a bit of paint here and there and there you go a studio sized MF of your own.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back