Pledge/Future UV resistance

DerfOnarged

Anyone here know if pledge/future is UV resistant? Or at least have experience on how it’s held up over the years without yellowing or anything?

It definitely does yellow over time, although I don't know if it's specifically because of UV. I have half a 20-year-old bottle that's always stored somewhere dark and it's noticeably yellow at this point. It does also yellow once dry, although it takes a long time. Incidentally, awhile back I tested a couple of other floor finish brands, Weiman and Quick Shine. Neither are perfect replacements for Future (which is largely unavailable now), but the Quick Shine was decent.

Thinking of decanting and giving the Krylon Archival Gallery Series UV resistant clear a shot. Reviews say it resists yellowing pretty well, but I’m curious how it finishes. Im gloss coating pure white paint so yellowing and UV resistance is important. Anyone have any experience with this?
Adjustments.jpg

Neither are perfect replacements for Future (which is largely unavailable now), but the Quick Shine was decent.

Actually, Future has simply been renamed and rebranded (again), but is the same formula as Future - and is quite available. Pledge Floor Gloss, formerly known as PledgeFloorCare Multi-Surface Finish, formerly known as Future, has a new look. The ever-useful-for-modeling-purposes floor polish goes by a new moniker now: Pledge Floor Gloss.

PledgeFloorGloss.jpg

The Krylon clear is good stuff.

Actually, Future has simply been renamed and rebranded (again), but is the same formula as Future - and is quite available. Pledge Floor Gloss, formerly known as PledgeFloorCare Multi-Surface Finish, formerly known as Future, has a new look. The ever-useful-for-modeling-purposes floor polish goes by a new moniker now: Pledge Floor Gloss.

View attachment 1328474

I do know about that, but have seen a few reports that it doesn't behave the same as the old Future. Sadly I have not been able to find it anywhere so I haven't been able to test it.

I do know about that, but have seen a few reports that it doesn't behave the same as the old Future.

Well, I have used the old Future and the subsequent repackaged "Pledge Floor Care" and they are identical and behave the same exact way. I have an A-10 canopy I dipped over two decades ago in the old Future that is still clear and not yellowed, and a BSG Viper Canopy dipped 9 years ago in Pledge Floor Care and still crystal clear.

I haven't used the newest repackaged 'floor gloss' - but all indications is that it is the same exact formula that has been used for decades.

Some day, years from now, they'll rename "Future" to "Present."

Thinking of decanting and giving the Krylon Archival Gallery Series UV resistant clear a shot. Reviews say it resists yellowing pretty well, but I’m curious how it finishes. Im gloss coating pure white paint so yellowing and UV resistance is important. Anyone have any experience with this?
View attachment 1328473

Alright, i tried out the Krylon UV-resistant clear gloss spray. Do yourself a favor, and never use it. It refuses to finish smooth.

Really?? How weird. What are you spraying it over? I love it but I rarely stray from boring old spray cans and acrylics, nothing fancy.

Really?? How weird. What are you spraying it over? I love it but I rarely stray from boring old spray cans and acrylics, nothing fancy.

I sprayed it over some Krylon base coat. No matter how many coats I put on, as it dries it finishes textured almost like luster photo paper. I’m looking more for a glassy look.

Is the surface it is going over smooth?

That is one of the benefits of future, it kind of fills in a rough surface an makes it smooth

Is the surface it is going over smooth?

That is one of the benefits of future, it kind of fills in a rough surface an makes it smooth

Silky smooth. I’ve also coated another test piece using future, and it finishes beautifully. Which I could use it, but need something that’s UV protected. Might go with automotive clear coats instead.

I've always used Vallejo Acrylic Varnishes for clear coats, and had good results, except for looking for that super smooth glassy high gloss you are talking about. I think Lacquer Glosses sometimes with Levelling thinner work best for that, like Alcad Aqua Gloss

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back