Plague Doctor Costume and Keeping Cool

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Wonderchild, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Wonderchild

Wonderchild New Member

Hello!

I recently wore a plague doctor costume to Wondercon Anaheim, and found it very quickly heated up. The costume is layered and all black, so I was foolish not to expect heat, however, having realized my mistake, I need a solution to fix it. I figured since the costume is so layered and heavy, I could sneak a cooling vest under the coat, but as far as the heat under the mask, I'm stumped. As far as my head goes, I'm donning a black balaclava over the plague mask in order to hide the straps and a black, wide-brimmed hat on top of the two. Needless to say, any extended use of the costume gave way to lots of fog and heat. I can deal with the heat but it's hard to walk around a convention half blind. So I was wondering, how can I improve my air-flow inside the mask (I was thinking a small fan inside of the beak) and reduce heat in general?

Thanks in advance!

(Oh, and here's some pictures!)
    IMG_0347[1].JPG
    IMG_0342[1].JPG
    IMG_0339[1].JPG

2. Grimwood

Grimwood Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Definitely a small fan will keep the fog to a minimum. There are all sorts of tutorials online that show you how to do it. Basically, computer fan, 9 volt battery, wiring and an on off switch and you're golden.

Good luck!

- - - Updated - - -

Cool costume, btw.

3. Wonderchild

Wonderchild New Member

Hey!
    Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely get that rigged up sooner or later.

Thanks!
    Joe