Interest Pirates: Screen Accurate Gold Plated Aztec Gold Coin

Another RPF member contacted me too for having some coins goldplated. He also snapped up a set... He might be willing to send me all the chess pieces and in return I offer him a free gold-plated one + a few paid for gold plated coins. In that case I have quite some more coins I could have goldplated to sell, but right now I don't have the time to handle a second run. This one was quite a pain, mainly due to COVID, so for now I'm a bit fed up with these cursed aztec coins ;-).

I might send off a few coins to the goldplater and just sell them individually in the junkyard when I have some more time. But right now (or in the near future) a run of 20 or so coins will not going to happen from my part...

Pic of a coin with the MR necklace attached. Pretty SA if you ask me (take a look on the two hoops and how they are attached to coin and necklace):

Dsc_0684.jpg

vlcsnap-2020-02-01-09h55m54s716.jpg

Here is a comparison between MR and this one (darker one is the MR one). You can see the MR one is a bit smaller and lacks quite some detail. Also the plating is turning dark. So I doubt this is a real goldplating...

Dsc_0685.jpg

Dsc_0686.jpg

Last coin is still up for grabs. Price is €80, tracked shipping included. First one from the back-up to reply here (and send me a PM), can have it. I'll be posting all other coins tomorrow, so if you are fast, that last one can go with it...

Maybe it's worthwhile for one of you to do another run of these? Just don't send all your coins to the first gold-plater you find but have one coin "test-gold-plated" and see how it turns out. I had to ship quite a few coins out before I found a goldplater who could handle the finishing on these coins. Apparently the finishing is a pain to have a nice goldlayer attached to it. Don't know how my gold-plater managed it, but he was able to gold-plate them without needing to remove the finishing.

Dont know what the finish is on the coins but if its anything other than metal based then its weird anyone could gold plate them in the first place but obviously someone has:) maybe a light coat of zinc paint is used first?

Dont know what the finish is on the coins but if its anything other than metal based then its weird anyone could gold plate them in the first place but obviously someone has:) maybe a light coat of zinc paint is used first?

Yeah I'd like to know the makeup as well if anyone knows. I reached out to a local business that does it and the costs seem extremely doable even for a personal run, so hopefully it works out. I have very little knowledge on the subject but I wonder if the outer layer can be stripped somehow and leave the bare metal to be easier to plate. Again, not sure about the whole thing. Anyone know what metal these are die-cast in?

It's pretty soft, since a few coins didn't survive some "experiments" of gold-platers over here (they tried to torch off the finishing, melting the coins in the process :(.

Tracking info added for everybody. You can track your coin here (no need to fill out the Postal Code. Barcode is enough.)

Once the coin arrives in your country, this tracking number should also work in the tracking of your postal service (so for USA => USPS).

I like the blood splatters! Maybe a good idea to do this with one of the goldplated coins too. If you do it with a water based paint, it can always be washed off afterwards...

For the buyers in the US: I noticed that the tracking numbers can also be used in the USPS tracking system now. I think you'll have a more detailed view there, once the coins enter the US. Let's hope they don't get delayed too much by covid-19. Normally this should not be the case, but you never know. Strange times, these days...

Update on potential US run: Found a local goldsmith who is willing to attempt a plating and left two coins for them to destr...I mean test on :) If all goes well, I’ll figure out a price and open for some preorders to those who didn’t get one of Toms or want more.

Update on potential US run: Found a local goldsmith who is willing to attempt a plating and left two coins for them to destr...I mean test on :) If all goes well, I’ll figure out a price and open for some preorders to those who didn’t get one of Toms or want more.
Good to hear. Might indeed be a good opportunity for people who missed out on this run.

Don't forget to become a Premium Member if you will actually do a run! Best to start a seperate thread for that, I guess... But feel free to post updates here about the results you have with goldplaters in the US. Curious to see their results on these coins. ;)

I see that the coins for the US all arrived overseas. Should not be too long now before they are delivered. You can follow the coins on the website of USPS now. I guess you'll get more detailed tracking info there (just use the tracking numbers I provided in the opening post).

motumikey, any luck with the goldplating?

Got two coins back, the darker antiquing is apparently not getting along with the gold, but the 24k gold adhered to the silver/gold parts of the coin. It basically looks like it did out of the box except the gold or silver parts are real gold. Don’t get me wrong, looks very cool and definitely an improvement, but I showed her a photo of your coins and asked if she could get some more coverage. She agreed to try and is gonna polish the coins up and see what happens.

Didn’t snap a picture but should be getting a call back today or early next week. May consult her about some possible ways to take the finish off myself, preferably chemically. I looked it up but without knowing the properties of the finish and metal it’s hard. So many different techniques for different metals.

If she has to polish each one manually, I imagine the price for a second run would go up, assuming she even agrees to do them all. I’ll post photos once I get them back regardless!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back