Pirates of the Carribean - Dead man's Chest Replica

Utopiandaniel

Here's my replica of the Dead Man's chest from the pirates of the Carribean franchise for my final univeristy project. Hope you guys like it!

Dead_Mans_Chest_16.jpg
Dead_Mans_Chest_2.jpg
Dead_Mans_Chest_11.jpg
Dead_Mans_Chest_12.jpg
Dead_Mans_Chest_20.jpg
Dead_Mans_Chest_1.jpg

Absolutely Extraordinary !

Especially made of wood.

My analysis is that the key goes in, but does not lock or unlock anything. Which given the non-standard (magical) lock on the on-the-screen chest, this would really be impossible anyway.

Totally Awesome !

Last edited:
Man. My mind is always thinking. I just thought of a way to use an Arduino and electromagnet to make an invisible lock that would work on a 3D printed chest like this. The lid would not open to any casual pressure, but when you put the key in and turned the lock, the wood blocks in the lid would come out (Arduino controlled servos) and the magnetic catch on the lid would release and the lid would then open easily.

Another idea that I'll likely never get around to building. I just don't have the time or money for even a cool project that I'd love to have like this.

Absolutely Extraordinary !

Especially made of wood.

My analysis is that the key goes in, but does not lock or unlock anything. Which given the non-standard (magical) lock on the on-the-screen chest, this would really be impossible anyway.

Totally Awesome !
You're absolutely correct. I wanted to have the chest lock and unlock but I ran out of time, I've seen at least one replica actually unlocks although it was significantly more complex.

If I had more time I would have tried to make it work, maybe ill try it again on my own time.

You're absolutely correct. I wanted to have the chest lock and unlock but I ran out of time, I've seen at least one replica actually unlocks although it was significantly more complex.

If I had more time I would have tried to make it work, maybe ill try it again on my own time.

It is a thing of beauty.

If you ever make it totally functional, that would just be icing on an already wonderful cake.

Really very impressive, congratulations. But I am curious to know what studies you are following to make such a project :unsure: ?
Man. My mind is always thinking. I just thought of a way to use an Arduino and electromagnet to make an invisible lock that would work on a 3D printed chest like this. The lid would not open to any casual pressure, but when you put the key in and turned the lock, the wood blocks in the lid would come out (Arduino controlled servos) and the magnetic catch on the lid would release and the lid would then open easily.

Another idea that I'll likely never get around to building. I just don't have the time or money for even a cool project that I'd love to have like this.
Jintosh you killed me :lol: while I was reading I was thinking of the wire sticking out of the chest to plug it in. Then I thought to myself that it also worked with a battery .... stupid me:rolleyes: but that therefore it would be better to provide a lock that opens in case there is no more battery :lol: otherwise it will be "The Dead Battery Chest"

Really very impressive, congratulations. But I am curious to know what studies you are following to make such a project :unsure: ?

Jintosh you killed me :lol: while I was reading I was thinking of the wire sticking out of the chest to plug it in. Then I thought to myself that it also worked with a battery .... stupid me:rolleyes: but that therefore it would be better to provide a lock that opens in case there is no more battery :lol: otherwise it will be "The Dead Battery Chest"
I study Special effects Model making at the university of Bolton in England, absolutely incredible course that I can't recommend enough.

I study Special effects Model making at the university of Bolton in England, absolutely incredible course that I can't recommend enough.
wow, really cool... I don't think we have that kind of study in France. So good continuation for the future :D, I hope that you will show us other beautiful projects

In my version, it would have a couple of tablet batteries in parallel, and the magnetic lock would hold it in place with a certain amount of pounds of pressure. So, if you pulled up hard enough with more pressure than resistance, it would indeed open anyway. The batteries would be charged with a QI receiver in the base of the box, so.....setting back on the base with the QI charger in it would mean the power cable goes to the base, but is wireless charging for the box itself. When you take the box off of the base to show it to someone then they will not see any cords.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back