Pirates of the Caribbean Skull and Crossbones

ChickenHaunt

Sr Member
Dead men tell no tales...
Here’s a fun little project. I was asked to recreate the skull and crossbones seen in the caves on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride (last picture). I started with one of the excellent skulls from The Skull Shoppe and retooled it a little into more of a portrait the original noggin. A little paint and a velvet backing, and he’s off to his new home!

Fun fact: rumor has it that when the ride debuted, the skeletons were all real, and this one was never replaced when they switched to plastic skeletons.

20190210-IMG_9551.JPG
20190210-IMG_9549-2.JPG
20190210-IMG_9545.JPG
316699c1b7cb3ee21b0bc8f160ee2c57.jpg

Nice.

Yeah, they borrowed the skeletons from a medical university since at the time they couldn't afford quality made replicas.
Later they where all returned accept for the one on the headboard.

That looks really good

Did you use any particular painting prep or process?

Thanks. I just lightly scuffed the resin with a very fine sanding sponge, hit it with Bulldog adhesion promoter, then airbrushed a base coat of Createx acrylic. The rest was just washy passes of cheap craft store acrylics, a satin acrylic sealer coat, and a gold leaf tooth.

Dead men tell no tales...
Here’s a fun little project. I was asked to recreate the skull and crossbones seen in the caves on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride (last picture). I started with one of the excellent skulls from The Skull Shoppe and retooled it a little into more of a portrait the original noggin. A little paint and a velvet backing, and he’s off to his new home!

Fun fact: rumor has it that when the ride debuted, the skeletons were all real, and this one was never replaced when they switched to plastic skeletons.

Just over-the-top awesome project...

For the longest while, I had aspriations of doing a "real" version of the POTC COTBP logo. Have the skull, and other accesories stuffed away in a box somewhere. Even found a child-sized calvary sword (with the correect hilt)...

Would require re-shaping the eyes with Apoxie Sculpt (or other medium) to make them more "sunglass shaped".

pirates-of-the-caribbean-the-curse-of-the-black-pearl-3.jpg

Disney was really struggling at the beginning.
If 20,000 LutS didn't make a profit they would have lost the park that was still in the construction phase and studio.
That whole thing is talked about in the making of video.

I've always wanted to so the skull at the beginning for the ride.
At Halloween Target sells a skull and cross bone piece that always sells out before I can grab one.

Disney was really struggling at the beginning.
If 20,000 LutS didn't make a profit they would have lost the park that was still in the construction phase and studio.
That whole thing is talked about in the making of video.

I've always wanted to so the skull at the beginning for the ride.
At Halloween Target sells a skull and cross bone piece that always sells out before I can grab one.

Yup... Not always the money-magnet and cash cow it is now...

Yeah and early on Potc was to just be a walk around wax museum.
IIRC that changed after the debut of Small World at the Worlds Fair.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back