Pip-Boy 3000 Build-up (pic heavy)

I'm having problems with the sound quality.
I think that the cable from the mp3 player to the pcb (used to be Mic) input.
I cut off the cable at the right length and then just soldered the mp3 plug thingy onto the end of the cable where the mic used to be.

Could someone give me some help?
Other explanations why the sound quality is bad.

I would really like to do a Pip Boy 3 Billion version of the prop. I'm wondering if I should do the 3 billion or do the regular.

Last edited:
Joe K, that sounds like the right way to do it. Are all of the connections strong? How is the quality poor (low volume? overly tinny?) Is the sound quality poor when the speaker is outside of the cast also?

And, just as an FYI, I will have extensive photos of my own current build up in the next 2-3 weeks... things are moving along well so far :)

Well, not low volume or something like that.
It's like when you hear music while you're under water with high squeaks/beeps.
Like when you set the radio frequenty between channels (Ruse?)
When the music has high tones, like the trompets, I hear a squeak/very high beep that can kill someone.

I can record it so you can hear it, if you want.

Last edited:
I've had a request to come up with one of these from a member (Administrator) over at the card model forum and started on the model last week. Can't wait to get the first one built and lit. Here's a link to the thread with all of the free models and I'm pretty sure the whole Pipboy thing was mentioned there.

FO3 Models Nuka Theme.... - Zealot Hobby Forum

Thanks for sharing.

Hey, I'm drawing up some schematics of a pipboy based on all the images here and from elsewhere, as I don't have access to one of the survival edition models. It seems pretty big so far, yet the screen seems to be the same size as the ones being talked of here (3.5 x 3 inches) and the scale seems okay. But the thing is 21cm long right now, which barely even fits on my arm. Would anyone be kind enough as to do a few measurements of length, width and height for me?

Thanks! Hope to see more awesome pip boys soon!

Measurements? Here ya go!

Wrist diameter:
DSC_5816.JPG

Forearm diameter:
DSC_5815.JPG

Interior length:
DSC_5810.JPG

Interior height:
DSC_5811.JPG

Screen length:
DSC_5812.JPG

Screen height:
DSC_5813.JPG

Skruffy you are a God amongst men. Thanks so much, I'll upload the plans once I've finished them to a standard I deem accurate enough. They'll never be 100%, but hopefully they'll be the right size.

Ha! that is awesome. the wife is in love with the Fallout games. does anyone know where i could possibly get a set of castings?

hi from Russia!)
amazing work! great idea to use the player and speaker for Galaxy Radio. I would add more flashlight in the front. Well, you remember, when you long press Tab, you can turn on a flashlight in the game.

Is it possible to get a kit to make it? need only form.

ps sorry for bad english, I want to say many things, but I cant =)

This interests me a lot, on your next run I might purchase something, I would probably just end up wearing it daily though, it would be nice to have one with a phone display as well, like the one featured on the daily what

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back