Pip-Boy 3000 Build-up (pic heavy)

magnets would be a good choice for keeping it closed
nice work
where did you get the led screen?

I went and bought some very small 1/8 rare earth magnets after issues with keeping it closed at a con over the weekend. Going to install them sometime in the next few weeks.

Possibly coming soon from a Skruffy near you!

Tonight, Skruffy and I (and our fabulous wives) got together to do a little work on another costume we've been working on. I had picked up a trial size of FlexFoamIt! X for an oxygen mask we need to make for a 'group' costume.

Well, the first attempt at pouring this stuff went really really bad. It's got a pot life of about 45 seconds and we couldn't pour it into the mold fast enough, and it just ended up filling the top of the mold and the bottom didn't do anything.

So, we decided to go for broke and make a flexible Pipboy, since the mold was a little more conducive to a really quick pour. So, we mixed up another batch and poured it in, then slapped in the push.

About half an hour later and a little trimming we came away with this!
photo2.jpg

We were pretty pleased with how well the detail picked up, but it's a little too flexible.
photo3.jpg

Still, an interesting concept that we're going to attempt again with a more rigid flexible foam. Not too sure if this is something that's going to end up getting offered since we don't really know if the final product will work the same as a resin cast, but one of us will be sure to post a WIP since we're both pretty excited about the prospect of a durable Pipboy.

After watching nuka break I knew that I had to have my own pip boy. Found this link and wow you really did a fantastic job. When you do another run I want 2. One with the exact specs you did and one for experimenting and I'm sure I'll end up screwing one up.

lucqassparda: Not at the moment. Yes. Yes, I certainly think so.

This is a build thread to document my Pip-Boy build and for others to show off (or link to) their own builds. This is not a sales thread - that takes place in the junkyard. Can we please keep discussion and questions regarding sales to PM or to the JY?

Hey I'm interested what is pricing like under or over $100 and do you ship to canada?

Lol, just sad to see posters ignoring Skruffy's comment on keeping sales, etc in the Junkyard or pm, right after he posted it. Guys, new members, there have been plenty of past remarks about this, but keep purchasing/sales questions for pm's or the JY.

I did warn the mods about this right after his Pipboy and Rpf was adventist on Indy mogul.
I suggested that they need some kind of letter that is shown when new members log in for the first time that explains that any deals are done in the junkyard.

I have to admit, I had shown several members on other forums as well as some friends about the pip-boy and I know they were going to sign up. Hope you guys are reading the rules out there, if not the rules, then Skruffy's own comments!

Like many others, I found this project by way of the Fallout fan film, "Nuka Break". Its been fascinating to read through the progress, and I can't wait to see how it develops from here. I'd love to throw my hat into the "3rd Run interest group" list.

ugg new members just dont get it

Sorry, I wanted to offer some praise for the project and mention my interest as Skruffy had previously mentioned he's developing a "list" from posters who express interest. I fully intend to keep any further mention of it to an email or PM.

Wow this looks awesome and I'll definitely want one or two when I'm not on such a tight budget. Can you put me on the list for the 4th run?

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back