Pimp my sterling blaster

Mara Jade's Father

Master Member
7423-dsc00057.jpg

I got this a few years back in a trade. It is a real sterling with real scope. It also came with a hengstler counter and mag canisters but I took of to put them on better but never did it.

However, as cool as it is to have a real sterling it needs a lot of work for it to be the type of replica I want.

The big problem is there that the receiver area is just a couple of section of a metal bar. It seems to be welded in place. It stops right before the ejection area. When I got it, the ejection port was just a hole. I stuck in a piece of cardboard with foil on it just to fill in the hole. I'd like to get that rod out of there and replace it with replica receiver and spring.

There are some other minor problems like the T-tracks are bowing upward and the scope rail is loose but those are easy.

The question is, what can be done and who could do it?

Ah, Im so envious of you having a Sterling! With better bolts for the scope, a new rail and grips this will look awesome. Can you see where the tube is connected/welded? Oh I would start by checking whats legal to do. Its a machinegun after all.

Or if you prefer a "found item", you can order Marv´s great T-track:

http://www.therpf.com/f13/t-track-sale-122706/

Great stuff with a really nice price - i ordered already several sets from him. Just a few hours ago i cut and assembled the grips for my ANH-Luke saber from it. :thumbsup

But that wouldn´t help with your bolt problem, we first need to know how the inner tube is attached. Can you dissassemble it to have a look? Closeup pics?

And one of the above tips is very valid - check if this tube is part of the deactivation, if you change that part without knowing that detail, you can pretty soon end up with a gun that is classified again as a smg. Without the proper permit to have such a piece, it could provide you some really bad time.

That's all good info and I definitely would like to replace the T-grips and other details mentioned above. But before I do that, I want to take care of the receiver problem.

From what I can tell, there is no internal workings. When you look at the picture, those two section are just a metal bar. When you take the end cap off, all you can see is the end of the bar and blobs from a weld. That bar is not going to come out on it's own. The only thing I can think of its that it would have to be drilled out. I do not even know if that is possible or if there are other options.

Like I said above, I would like it replaced with a replica receiver (metal would be nice) and a spring (real or fabricated). I do not need a real receiver or even anything that cocks. I simply want it to be a visually good looking replica for my collection.

It can be done, but to get it to a decent level of quality (like I imagine you are aiming) you are basically going to have to cut it up and rebuild it from the ground up as if it's just a donor parts kit...

So you have to decide how much do you want to spend, to do it 'right' isn't going to be cheap, but it can be done and you could have a top notch replica when you are done...

I have a friend that is considering doing a few rebuilds from kits in the near future, if that progresses forward I might be able to help you out, if you are willing to invest in a rebuild from the ground up...

That is pretty much how I was thinking too. Funding right now is not there but I hope it will in the future.

I would also prefer when I do it, that it is more of a one stop-shopping. So to say, not just a sterling rebuild but also the ability to convet it to a blaster as well. This thing is so heavy, shipping from one place, then another would get very expensive.

That is pretty much how I was thinking too. Funding right now is not there but I hope it will in the future.

I would also prefer when I do it, that it is more of a one stop-shopping. So to say, not just a sterling rebuild but also the ability to convet it to a blaster as well. This thing is so heavy, shipping from one place, then another would get very expensive.

As I said a friend of mine is at this moment considering doing a small run of a few rebuilds, if it goes forward I'll let you know... If we are tooled up to do the parts it's a lot easier to add one then start from scratch...

You might be able to cheat a little on your build depending on where it's been welded and how ugly it looks, I notice the rear section looks like a crooked noodle so that is likely all a loss, but if the front section with all the holes is in decent shape (and straight) you might be able to cut that off it one section and weld it to a new rear section of tube, that would save a boat load of work and cut cost... And it can be done immaculate this way, as that is the way all (nearly all) the pre '86 registered legal machine gun rebuild tubes where done, they are only the rear half of the tube, you need to weld the front half on...

Thanks exoray. Keep me informed.

If anyone knows someone else who does such rehab, let me know.

If something does not develop, I may just cut my losses and sell it. :unsure

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back