Pick one, and only one: Scariest movie

:lol Seriously, that show, when I was like five, gave me the heebie jeebies like you wouldn't believe! These faceless automatons, giant ants, on and on. Creeeeepy! My point is that wouldn't scare me NOW, so it hardly helps the OP's quest for me to bring it up.

It is becomes more difficult to get scared the older you get because you've pretty much seen it all. There are also different types of scary. It is quite easy to get the BOO! scare by just cranking the speakers at the appropriate moment. Does that make the movie scary? AWIL scared the bejezus out of me a couple of times, but it is considered a horror/comedy.

So what are you going with? It seems like Exorcist is the leading vote getter, but what are you leaning towards?

I know we have had threads about posting up your favorite scary (Halloween) movies, but let's cut to the chase.
Pick ONE. Not two, not three and no "also there's..."
Just one.
Also, post why you think it's THE scariest.
My wife's family get together once a week every October to watch a scary movie and this weekend is MY pick and I want to scare the bejebus out of everyone.
So...whatch'a got?

It is becomes more difficult to get scared the older you get because you've pretty much seen it all. There are also different types of scary. It is quite easy to get the BOO! scare by just cranking the speakers at the appropriate moment. Does that make the movie scary?
In my opinion the "BOO!" gimmick isn't being scared, it's being startled; there's a definitive difference, so it doesn't count.

But I definitely agree it's more difficult to get scared as you get older. The last time I was honestly scared by a movie I was 11 or 12 years old. Back then, when I'd see a movie in a theater I had the ability to mentally place myself within the film, and in my mind I was experiencing whatever the characters on screen were experiencing. The movie that scared me was my first zombie movie and, in my mind, I was being hunted by the zombies right along with the people on the screen. Viewed as an adult many years later I found the movie to be campy, horribly acted, and downright laughable.

Definately Jaws. That movie messed me up SO bad when it came out(I was eleven at the time) I would sleep curled up in a ball afraid to let my feet or arms hang off the edge of the bed:lol

Robert

Laugh all you want, the Blair Witch.

I'm with you on this one. Great scary movie.
There are two distinct scenes in the film that send a shiver up my spine,
The bit when they're all in the tent and it starts violently shaking and the bit at the end when the last two are in the old house. The very last second when the camera focuses on the guy facing the wall.

Spooky

I love the participation and input everybody has given. You guys are serious about your horror flicks!
I think the general concensus is the Exorcist :thumbsup

For me it's the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre from the late 70's. Not only is it based on true events but the happenings in the movie just disturbing and creepy. I love this flick!

I love the participation and input everybody has given. You guys are serious about your horror flicks!
I think the general concensus is the Exorcist :thumbsup

Horror has always been my favorite movie area, not gore, but a movie that will surefire put the willies up ya lol.
Sadly, it doesnt happen very often now, Hollywood seems to struggle to find that balance now, relying on the shock/gore factor, which is a shame.
As i said, i think a true horror, has to mess with your head a little, get right in there, and make you think...make you really feel after watching, "do i really need to walk down that dark corridor to the bathroom" :lol. No...ill just lay here and do the peepee dance :behave

lee

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back