Personality Core/Sphere

macsorro

First time posting a new thread here in the awesome RPF.

I've been wanting to make a Personality Core/Sphere for a little while. Recently my son has been asking to I actually do it and not just "want" to do it. :lol So here we go.

I'd like to apologize in advance if I donk up something here, cause I'll be honest this is all new to me. Feel free to point things out, and make suggestions, I always appreciate constructive criticism. :thumbsup

Here are a few pics.
photo 1.JPG

The construction will be basic, on a Styrofoam ball with a diameter of 6".

photo 2.JPG

Here I've got some of the lines drawn, marking where things will be located. Trying to measure on a ball is harder that I thought. In retrospect I should've built a box to create more accurate line, but I didn't. :(

photo 3.JPG

Here I started to apply and shape the Apoxie. This is just a thin shell, not a lot of detail will go on this layer.

photo 4.JPG

Now its starting to take shape. Looks a little mechanical already. :D The small holes you see on the Apoxie were made with a led pencil, trying to keep the depth of the Apoxie uniform.

Looks like you are off to a good start.

Did you see this page where someone made a hand puppet version.
They started out much like you did.

This thread has some good reference pictures.

Update on this build.

I knew that it would be harder to sand this once I made the sides taller so I decided to sand it now that it was easy to access. The sanding totally takes away the organic feel of a handmade object. So far so good.

Here I carved out the one of the side holes and patched it up.

I see lots of sanding in my future.

Attachments

• 10022983916_bd79376b7a_o.jpg
    10022983916_bd79376b7a_o.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 174
  • 10022964074_c1d725a937_o.jpg
    10022964074_c1d725a937_o.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Looking good :) I never figured out a way of making the shells of my 12" core thin enough with a polystyrene base. My current plan is to vaccuform several layers on top of each other to give the thickness, but keep it ~7mm thin, but i'm elbow deep in Halloween pepakura at the moment, so i've not really gone anywhere with it.

Will be keeping an eye on this :)

Thanks Aphelion. First I tried to lay down the full thickness of the core and noticed I couldn't control the thickness enough to make it look uniform. So thin layers was my answer.

I know what you mean about Halloween and Pepakura time. I've got to bust out two costumes in the next 29 days too. :(

I carved out the foam from the side wells and where the eye will eventually go. Still debating how to do that. I think I'll make it out of card stock and cardboard first and then insert it into the socket. But that's for later. I'll figure it out.

Today's update.

I'm working on the eye area. It has a little bit of a lift, from what I can tell from renderings. This is my high tech device for solving such a problem.

here's another one of my strange tools.

Hmm, changed my mind. I think the angle created naturally by the shape of the original Styrofoam ball is enough.

Last edited:
That's a really good start.

I tried this one too but never finished it (had to build a Stargate). Here is what I did :

290378_2540875520561_1439064229_o.jpg
308693_2540878640639_180487654_n.jpg
314301_2540878160627_1989446554_n.jpg

Working on plastic with a Dremel is really a mess, it's melting and small parts of plastic can be really hot and jump at you. Also gluing it is a nightmare when it's not big enough parts.

I love these personality core, so I'll do my best to help you. ;)

If you need to see it moving you can download a tool on steam with all the animations of portal 2, it should be the level builder tool I think. You can see it on every angle, zoom on it very closely and stop the motion to study it.

That's a really good start.

I tried this one too but never finished it (had to build a Stargate). Here is what I did :

View attachment 239016
View attachment 239017
View attachment 239018

Working on plastic with a Dremel is really a mess, it's melting and small parts of plastic can be really hot and jump at you. Also gluing it is a nightmare when it's not big enough parts.

I love these personality core, so I'll do my best to help you. ;)

If you need to see it moving you can download a tool on steam with all the animations of portal 2, it should be the level builder tool I think. You can see it on every angle, zoom on it very closely and stop the motion to study it.

Thanks Sendel. That looks like an awesome build. It looks like you were almost done. I got Steam on my Mac and I did get the Personality core to study it closer. You're absolutely right, it's a great way to look at these guys.

Adding the second layer of Apoxie to the "outer" shell pieces. I think I'm about half way done. The tiny detail is a little more time consuming since you have to wait some smaller areas to set.

Update:

That dang ring around the eye was a pain in the ass. I did it over like four times. But it looks nice for now. I also made the eye cavity a little smaller.

All of the surfaces will eventually get sanded smooth, so I can get really clean lines. (oh god I can feel my artistic OCDs acting up)

Hey I noticed while driving today that the brake lights of an older model Hyundai sonata had the eye pattern of a personality core. Don't which model exactly but if you get lucky you might be able to find one at a junk yard.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back