PB Props' various build projects: Doctor Who, Star Wars and more.

PB Props

Hello! Seeing as I've just recently joined, I thought it only right to share some of my work with you, I mean, that's what we're all here for, right?

I generally like to tackle all manner of things, but sometimes I end up doing a lot of the same kind of projects because someone sees something they like, asks me to make that for them, then I end up getting swathes of similar requests - usually Doctor Who props and models. I rarely get to keep any of my own work as primarily I just don't have the space, but also because most of what I tend to do these days is client work.

Let's get the ball rolling then.

This is a 1:6 scale stone throne, made just for the hell of it from XPS foam that I had left over from a different project. It was only scraps, but they were too good to bin, so looking at what I had left, I knew I could make a simple throne from it. Why a throne? No idea, it just seemed a good idea at the time.

This is a fibreglass alien cyborg mask, made for a film project that never went into production. It was to be part of a larger costume and worn under a cowl - which is why the features are so prominent. It was to be lit in such a way that the eyes and nose would catch the light, but throw lots of shadow. The eyes were going to be lit up with gimballed LEDs and the entire mask was to be mounted on an animatronic neck, worn about a foot in front of the actor's face and would have been somewhat serpentine in its movement.

This is one of many full sized TARDISes that I made for the various BBC Doctor Who exhibitions that appeared around the UK. Each one was always rushed, cast up and painted within just three or four days, so often corners were cut, but at some point in the future, I'd like to make a "bells and whistles" version for myself. The moulds were taken directly from one of the two original Eccleston / Tennant TARDIS props in the summer of 2005.

More TARDISes, this time model versions to go with the official 5.5" figures from Character Options. These are scratch built from styrene, acrylic, brass and various other materials. These were commission builds - I had planned to make a moulded and cast version, but I never got around to it.

Another client build TARDIS, built in the same way as above, though this time it's of the 1996 TV Movie prop. I made a full sized TARDIS key to go with it and as an extra little surprise. When you wave the key over the roof, it contactlessly activates the flashing lamp and sound effects. I thought that was a rather nifty idea, even if I do say so myself.

Speaking of TARDIS keys... I did a very short run of 7th Doctor keys that I cast from one of the original props. Peter Capaldi was the recipient of one of those keys and I gave it to him during the recording of one of his episodes that was shot at my friend's house. It's odd to think that in several scenes, this key is in his pocket!

This was a restoration project. A full sized K9 replica that was severely mangled and in dire need of some TLC. I was asked to restore this licensed prop as I made the original, so slightly over two decades since its release, things had come full circle and it was with me for a rebuild. The client was happy.

A replica of the 1960's "Invasion" style Cybermen head. Made for a client. He asked for the lamp to work and have a vibe of a "screen used" or "production made" prop, so during the construction, I gave it many scuffs, scrapes and rough handling marks. Needless to say, I wrote "Replica" in big letters on the inside.

This is a Mos Eisley workshop diorama that I built for my son's 3 3/4" action figures. Its design is largely made up, but is inspired by the sets from A New Hope. At some stage, this will have more dressing added to give it a bit of life, though for now, my son seems happy with it.

Finally something that I have kept - as I built this for myself back in 2003. It's an all original parts replica of the 6th Doctor's tracer from "Mark of the Rani" (1985). The original prop would later come up for auction and I was pleased to see that my replica was identical to it. I did a "How to" guide on my (now defunct) blog some years ago and it amused me no end as to how many folks out there used that guide for their own builds, so that was a positive outcome.

I think that's enough for now. Hopefully these projects will meet with your approval and thanks for taking the time to take a look.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Welcome, PB! I'm glad you found your way over to the Forum. I have followed your YouTube videos and Facebook feed for some time. Looking forward to seeing your work here as well!

Cheers!

Dave C

Thanks for the welcome Dave. Yeah, I finally made it over here - it only took nearly two decades to arrive, but better late than never, I guess. Oh and thanks for watching the YouTube stuff, it's always appreciated.

Out of interest, would it be bad form to post up videos in this thread of me making some of these projects? I've had a look around and I can't see anything that would suggest that I shouldn't, but I'm wondering whether it'd be bad form given my new member status as I don't want the longer term members thinking I'm spamming the forum. Just thought I should ask.

Thanks.

Members are always posting videos of some sort so it shouldn't be a problem. But, I would contact Art just to be sure.

Hello There!

Good to hear from you. It's been a while since we last spoke. Hope you're doing well. All your recent builds look top notch. I really love that scratch built Baker tardis(y)

Dan Stokes

Hi Dan. Yeah, things are well and thanks for your kind comments. It's been nearly a year and a half since I built those Baker boxes and while the customers received theirs, mine and the tooling master were never completed. They just sit in a box - waiting.

Hello chum, fancy meeting you here! Got any pictures of that Earthshock escape capsule thing I did the laser cut bits for? ;')
Hello there! Unfortunately no pictures. That model ground to a halt not long after I added those detail parts on that you graciously cut for me. Oddly enough, I rediscovered the model today and I do have plans to finish it, but I'm contemplating building a vac former for it, though I may just end up hand assembling the sections that the former is intended for. There's one part that I just could never track down, so I've 3D printed it - but I may have to buy a printer now, just to get the resolution where I want it... even though it'll be buried under kit parts. Long answer to a quick question there, just for you!

Oh why not? I'll post a handful of build videos that you can have a watch of, at your leisure, if you're interested. Hopefully this is okay - I've seen other members put this kind of stuff up.

First up is a little Mos Eisley styled diorama building that I built for my son to go with his action figures. The main structure is built now, but I need to come back and add some further weathering and some items of set dec. I'll get around to that in due course.

This was a fun little project to do of an afternoon. I took a broken toy gun, repaired it and then revamped it with a graphite finish - something I hadn't done for a couple of decades, but seeing as I had some graphite in for another project, I thought , "Why not?"

A rather long video, but quite detailed on the process that I used to build an 8th Doctor TARDIS model for a client. I put some simple electronics in this one and due to concentrating on the wrong thing, I managed to burn myself. That was fun.

A Cyberman head for a client on mainland Europe. I was quite pleased with this one. Such was my dedication to the project that I put off going to hospital over the crushing agony that I was in... After the client picked it up, I took myself to A&E where I very nearly didn't make it out again. That was fun, but a story for another time.

That's it for now. I hope that you like them. I'm hoping to be able to get into some more projects quite soon, once things settle down at home.

Cheers all.

It's been a while since I posted anything here, so I think it's time to put that to rights - with more videos...

I filmed this back in 2013 with a basic camera and no lights. I then promptly lost all the footage, but only recently recovered a large portion of it, so I put this together as best as I could. It's a replica studio scale model of the Rani's TARDIS as built by BBC Effects designer, Mike Tucker. A simple and quick build from an obscure Doctor Who charity episode that everyone seems to hate.

In this one, I'm making another TARDIS, this time for a client - I get a lot of requests for these, but turn most of them down. I did this, or technically "these" because one was for a childhood friend and the other was for a returning client, so how could I resist?

A quick bit of fun, a trailer for my YouTube channel put together at the suggestion of my daughter. It's somewhat over the top and rather tongue in cheek.

Thanks for looking and with luck, I hope to be adding some prop builds in due course, as well as some non-Doctor Who stuff. I'm not keen on being a one trick pony.

Cheers all.

I've been recently working on a mask moulding project where I then cold cast the final pieces in brass for all that metallic loveliness.

As always, I filmed myself doing this and made a video out of it for YouTube. Here's the step by step process that I used, for those of you who may be interested. It's a brush up mould done a bit differently - ideally I'd have done a matrix mould, but I couldn't afford that, so I did an inside out version... so to speak.

This is probably preaching to the choir, but someone here may find it helpful. I also demonstrate the not often spoken about IPA trick to smooth out the silicone before making the support shell, just to help stave off any mis-registration issues.

Thanks for looking.

Here's a handful of videos showing various projects that I've been tinkering with over the past few months. Some of you may find them interesting.

First up, brass cold casting in resin for a mask that I previously made a mould from:

This one is the moulding up of a screen used prop - quite scary given that it was extremely fragile and worth a lot of money. I then go on to cast out some copies and finish them off to match the original in every way.

This one's a sort of a how to video. Don't like the paint apps on your toy / model? Here's a simple approach on how to rid yourself of that unsightly work!

And lastly for now, I recently restored a mask for a client and ended up replacing the shattered resin parts for metal versions.

Thanks for looking.

It's been a while since I've posted in this thread - I've been a bit busy with other things - but for those interested, I've recently come into possession of an original Bazookoid prop from season three of Red Dwarf. It's one that Kryten tries to use before he accidentally activates its self destruct mechanism.

Before it goes on its merry way to where-ever, I thought I'd document it, so I've been busy measuring it up and I even recorded a sort of tour of this 33 year old BBC FX prop. For me the most interesting element is the mechanism inside that makes it spring apart - even the used pyros are still present!

Bazookoid_FXGun.jpg
Anyway, Feel free to have a gander at your leisure.

Thanks for looking.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back