Patches!!

mbaileyh

I've appreciated patches for a long time. As a kid I really wanted to be a cop, and one of my favorite things about the uniform wasn't the gun or handcuffs, but the color and unique iconography each patch used really intrigued me.

Obviously another love, which brings me here, is film and television. As a kid, patches in movies were always eye catching; I appreciated an original design over some stereotypical star and "County Sheriff." A fake place or department seemed a bit more real if someone had taken the time to design a patch.

I'd been collecting patches for years, but my collection soon branched into some of my favorite movies and shows with the rise of artists and reproductions on ebay. Though most of the ones in the first picture were found in real life as I've travelled.

100_6432.jpg

Here are some general patches from real departments. Most have been featured in many movies. The round patch at the bottom center is uniformed Secret Service for the White House. I don't know if its an original or re-production, but I do believe for security reasons, its rarely reproduced outside of movies set there.
100_6433.jpg

A collection of patches from "District 9."
100_6437.jpg

Ghostbusters has been and remains one of my favorite movies. Not So much for patches, though I do appreciate them. The larger patch was from Hot Topic, the smaller one is the logo from the premier GB blog, protoncharging.com .
100_6436.jpg

Here are my TV-show based patches. The sheriff's dept. from "Reno 911", A bottle or can sleeve with the patch of the fictitious "Community" college. The patch of sheriff's office from the short lived epic "Jericho." The patch that brought me to RPF, "The Walking Dead" King Co. sheriff's dept. (Thanks for having them made TheMechanic.) And the patch for the Miami Metro Police from the show "Dexter."
100_6435.jpg

These patches are primarily from movies. Though I know the "Police Academy" patch on the top left was used not only for that franchise's short lived show, but also as a generic patch in other shows. The BR patch is fromthe movie "Battle Royal," though it was made to promote the film, and not for costuming. The Gotham PD patch from the Batman Begins/Dark Knight films. On the bottom left is a reproduction of the Sandford Constabulary Police from the movie "Hot Fuzz." Its the movie that brought my girlfriend and I together. (as well as, admittedly, an online dating site) The Team Zissou patch is another gift from my girlfriend, from "The Life Aquatic." And the final patch on the bottom right is from the stupidly-futuristic but exciting Stallone film, "Demolition Man."

As you can see, I don't really work at getting a full costume for most of these films or shows, though I do have a bad ass Ghostbusters flight suit, and a decent "Junior" costume from Reno 911. Mostly its about appreciating a detail in shows that I think a lot of people underestimate.

Anyone else focus on patch collecting from their favorite show/movie? Anyone looking for patch ideas to have made, if only there was enough interest to justify a run?

Nice collection. I love patches too. Started when I was kid with military insignia. A couple great shows for patches are Battlestar Galactica (the new one) and Stargate. I have quite a few from each of these shows that I plan on mounting in shadow boxes one of these days.

You've got a nice collection there :thumbsup Thanks for sharing. Truth be told I have more patches than other props in my collection, they're easier to display and store :). I'll have to break out the camera and take some shots of mine.

A great book if you're into military patches is "I could tell you, but then you would have to be destroyed by me." Its about black ops patches and really describes not just the programs they're for, but the iconography.

I'd love have mine framed and mounted too.

I love patches too! (Pretty obvious huh?)

I'm really glad that you liked the 'Walking Dead' patch.

Thanks for sharing your collection!

mbaileyh the white round patch in the bottom is from the uniformed secret service division that protects the white house. the white patch is summer issue and there's a black version which is there winter issue patch. don't know if the patch is real or a reproduction. many federal patches are reproduced and passed off as being genuine.

Very nice collection, for sure! I have a Gotham PD patch that I had custom-made, plus a nice MI6 one-luckily, I know people who have the proper software and embroidery machines!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back