Patch/Crest Embrodery Help

Primrodo

Sr Member
Hey guys,

I am hoping someone can help me her. I am recreating a few patches that have a very particular sort of merrow border, and I want to replicate it exactly.

It is not the typical styles that most embroiderers offer at all, but I have 4 patches at least that I want to recreate that all have this.

I looked at the Merrow.com website and they have a sample exactly what I am looking for here:

2496796979_d819eb2927_o.jpg

And here is an actual patch with this style:

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1271.jpg

My family used to own an embroidery company that I worked at for years. I have merrowed thousands of patches!! Man talk about flashbacks...

Anyway, those two samples are sewn exactly the same, the only difference is the bobbin thread. Generally you use a clear nylon thread for the bobbin as in the bottom example, but the top is just using a contrasting white bobbin thread. Anyone who can merrow a patch can replicate this. They would need to adjust their machine tensions a bit to match the thread, but other than that, no difference.

Good luck!

Mole, it is, but this is for a few different patches that have this kind of merrow, ranging from flags to other colours etc.

Jinxed, I realised they are the same method, which is what I am looking for....every embroiderer I talk to want to do this kind:

Embroidered-American-Flag-Patc-185634.jpg

Jinxed, I realised they are the same method, which is what I am looking for....every embroiderer I talk to want to do this kind:

They are being lazy, and or unwilling. It is a ridiculously simple thing to do.

It's a matter of using a different color, and adjusting the tension. That's it. A white cotton or most likely nylon/rayon thread will need to be used with less tension for the same result. It's thicker and grippier than the clear nylon. Now generally the nylon bobbin thread is tensioned pretty tight which pulls the top thread around the edge of the patch material. This creates that "wrap around edge" effect. If you lighten up on the bobbin tension it can be adjusted to wrap less, but not eliminate it all together. You can see in the example of what you want, that it still wraps around but does not go all the way to the back.

The 2 flag patch examples you posted could have had the thread density upped a bit too. The merrow is loose and does not create a nice solid edge.

Not sure if any of this helps. Unfortunately most production oriented shops do not like to stray from "the standard" no matter how easy.

Not sure if you're checking big embroidery houses or small one off shops. It's sort of the ol' able vs. willing.

I am using a fairly middle patch company. I will pass along this info to them though and see what they say, for the first time I understand this! Thank you so much.

Thank you very much Jinxed! My patchmaker gave it a whirl just to try!

Tada!

Merrow-option.jpg

Apparently they just never use it because people either want a fine laser-cut edge or they want the edge completely wrapped.

Thanks very much for helping me with this and it will definitely help!

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back