Parks Sabers accuracy?

There should be two small rivet holes when the plate is removed. You can just see them on mine above. One of mine just pinged off (it was 50 years old after all) but the other I used a rotary cutting tool.

There should be two small rivet holes when the plate is removed. You can just see them on mine above. One of mine just pinged off (it was 50 years old after all) but the other I used a rotary cutting tool.

That's odd, your pic disappeared. Hope to see it again.

parks graflex and mpps are very good replicas especially for the prixe, of course not perfect but very close.

About graflex the differences are mainly on how it's made the emitter cut is different technique, and the clamp is not terrific especially the lever.
The "red button" is not very good but not too bad.

About the mpp, lots of changes but for the moment the best available.
the shroud is not accurate and needs painting, the engravings are different, stamped and not engraved, the clamp lever is very ugly, otherwise the differences are very small.

as for Parks OB1 it's okay but not as screen-accurate compared to Romans Empire ... he has access to all the real vintage parts and made the proper revisions.
Following my help and advices, I would expect some thanks...
About pommel I told him to sand before chroming to remove machining, and rounded corners, for a accurate look
I told him removable cap would be better for more accurate look.
Then adding "screw on" pommel it can be far better even for electronics wirh removable cap.
as for hollow booster, he followed my idea, but 24mm drilling instead of 25mm on mine.
The spacer design is based on photo I took of mine, he added the 4 holes by machining for the best result.
I told him to make some mods on grenade sections measurments too, because existing grenades (russ, parks and previous romans were not correct), I took measurments on archive obi saber.

His grenade frag body is about perfect, the brass trunk is very good, the ring is not too bad even Russ ring is better, the "wings" are good.
His pommel is the best replica now, only better one is the one I made myself spending about 20 hours…
About his booster, depending on the grinding tool sharpening, can be from average to very good, because of variations on the grooves shape and fins thickness...

For the moment, except early russrep, I have never seen a correct booster replica.

I am currently working on a obi project, for just the perfect obi saber replica available, because all is in my head.

Contacted Parks a while back ago wanting to buy a saber, haven't heard a peep from anyone, nada :(
Are they even still in business? :confused

Hi ... yes Parks is still in business ... he sold 6 MPP's to a friend recently ... perhaps it was the high order that made him jump hoops :) Try again once more.

Chaim

Hi ... yes Parks is still in business ... he sold 6 MPP's to a friend recently ... perhaps it was the high order that made him jump hoops :) Try again once more.

Chaim

Interesting, my wife purchased an MPP for me before Christmas. The site said they were in stock.
After paying she received an email from them saying it could be months away from delivery.
Time will tell.

This is the deal with Parks. High quality pieces, and horse **** customer service. Shipping will get you too, he wanted $20.00 shipping for a clamp. He's my last resort, but I can't deny the quality of his products.

wow his info is all over the place. I contacted him and had a response within 24 hours. He said delivery times were 6 weeks out. Thats really annoying he is giving people such wide ranging info.

The only thing I bought from Parks was an ESB Graflex years ago. I got the saber in about a week. That's because he was selling them on eBay at the time as well, and that's where I bought it from.

It depends on what you're asking for usually. From being there and seeing him work in person, what he does, is either has to hand make most of the parts... or has parts bins ready to go for some pieces of sabers, but has to hand machine other parts completely from scratch. Also if anything needs anodizing, as he does a LOT of anodizing... even clear over base aluminum... he will wait for a huge batch to get all done at once.

So I know a lot of those orders for parts he has to machine... and then do anodizing... will wait for a batch large enough to take to the anodizer.

Also, for instance, he will wait until he has a certain amount of something to do them. For example: Kobold D Rings: he'll wait to get X amount of orders for them and then machine them all by hand. He has tooling and jigs setup exclusively for certain parts he has to make, and the rigs and jigs usually mean he makes multiples at a time while the machines are setup for a certain operation. So he won't just whip out one kobold D ring... he'll wait until he has enough orders to make like 30 or so...

Now I'm not defending his business tact or practices, or his shipping charges (it's why I will go pick stuff up in person and drive 50 minutes to do so), but he does quality work. Aside from his community reputation and his alienating fans with bad business etiquette, and past issues, he's generally in person very generous with his knowledge and time and nice.... to me anyway. I do know he's not been nice to others, and I've seen the other side in email form from him to others.

That's just my take from meeting him and checking things out.

He oddly lives two blocks away from my uncle which came as a complete surprise to me when I found out, but it makes for convenient pick up after long waits for things to be made.

I've only bought small parts from him, and always found him quick to respond and send out as soon as he can (I've e-mailed and asked to have delivered in the states in time for me to pick up, and has never let me down)

Vader sabers other than ROTJ MOM have never been that big a deal to me, so I'll happily use his MPP hilts to fill the OT collection when the time comes.

I think it all comes down to communication skills; maybe some people just don't have the knack. Waiting a long time is not an issue as long as you know what's going on and you receive an update every now and then. I noticed that in a few cases here on the RPF already. It's probably not related to somebody's intentions and like you say he's a nice guy in person.
Maybe you'd make a fine Parks business representative Scott!! ;)

Roy

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back