Painting a Super Star Destroyer Model

The actual filming miniature is a different color than the regular ISD1 or ISD2 - Which are different form each other as well :) its also not blue at all in real life - but looks that way on screen. Its a darker gray - I assume they used a blue screen for the FX shots that might have given it a little blue cast. SO first decide if you want it to look as it did on screen or as a model... then pick paint accordingly.

As with any model (particularly ones painted gray or white) lighting will make a huge difference in perceived "shade" there are some very good pictures of the model on this site: Modeler's Miniatures & Magic

But as you can see the pictures are taken in a variety of lighting conditions and the color varies wildly as a result. you are going to have to pick a color you're happy with and go for it :)

If it were me I'd primer it black, paint it a battleship gray - maybe a little lighter, and leave a lot of the trenches and superstructure a bit under-saturated to enhance the shadows. Maybe come back with a bit of weathering for the engines... and call it done.

Jedi Dade

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back